Welcome visitors! Please read this topic before registering.

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Post Reply
User avatar
Ben Wilson
Legend
Posts: 3695
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: North Hykeham

Welcome visitors! Please read this topic before registering.

Post by Ben Wilson » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:20 pm

Welcome to the internet's #1 discussion board for all things related to the Channel 4 game show Countdown! This board has been open since January 2008 and we're always eager to welcome new members into our ranks, whether it's to discuss the most recent episode or shows from years gone past, or to arrange game sessions either online at sites like apterous or face-to-face at one of the many meet-ups that take place throughout the year.

So please, feel free to register an account and start posting! When registering your account, please ensure that you use your real name (or a credible-sounding pseudonym)- this will ensure that your account gets approved swiftly. You must include a space between your first and last names, otherwise the account will be automatically rejected.

Happy countdowning! :)

User avatar
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Posts: 1601
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: Welcome visitors! Please read this topic before registering.

Post by Adam Gillard » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:41 pm

Is peusdonym your alter-eog?
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."

User avatar
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion
Posts: 1462
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Welcome visitors! Please read this topic before registering.

Post by Graeme Cole » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:39 am

Someone on the moderation team might correct me on this, but I believe one-word usernames get rejected automatically, because spambots like to register with usernames like ThunderSplat112358. So register your username as "John Smith" not "JohnSmith", for example.

User avatar
Ben Wilson
Legend
Posts: 3695
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: North Hykeham

Re: Welcome visitors! Please read this topic before registering.

Post by Ben Wilson » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:39 am

Graeme Cole wrote:Someone on the moderation team might correct me on this, but I believe one-word usernames get rejected automatically, because spambots like to register with usernames like ThunderSplat112358. So register your username as "John Smith" not "JohnSmith", for example.
They're not automatically rejected anymore, but it does make it easier to spot a legitimate user.

User avatar
L'oisleatch McGraw
Rookie
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 am
Location: Waterford
Contact:

Re: Welcome visitors! Please read this topic before registering.

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:22 am

Ben Wilson wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:20 pm
please ensure that you use your real name
Mark Zuckerberg has a lot to answer for.
(I miss pre-facebook internet and its norms...)

But having said that, it brings joy to my heart that the most active user here is called Gavin Chipper! :D
"Si my une Land, uvloth cyay uvloth cyar. Lay uv menan Land De Lamphs, ate lay saihlle uv cohme an nar..."

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Devotee
Posts: 976
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Welcome visitors! Please read this topic before registering.

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:52 am

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:22 am
Ben Wilson wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:20 pm
please ensure that you use your real name
Mark Zuckerberg has a lot to answer for.
(I miss pre-facebook internet and its norms...)

But having said that, it brings joy to my heart that the most active user here is called Gavin Chipper! :D
Yeah, unfortunately for your crusade to prove how evil the modern world is, this isn't a social media-led conspiracy theory:
Ben Wilson wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:39 am
Graeme Cole wrote:Someone on the moderation team might correct me on this, but I believe one-word usernames get rejected automatically, because spambots like to register with usernames like ThunderSplat112358. So register your username as "John Smith" not "JohnSmith", for example.
They're not automatically rejected anymore, but it does make it easier to spot a legitimate user.
It's because bots.
proud tiara owner and annoying publicity person who tells you to click links to the the FOCAL website.

(and also to my TRAVEL BLOG)

User avatar
L'oisleatch McGraw
Rookie
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 am
Location: Waterford
Contact:

Re: Welcome visitors! Please read this topic before registering.

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:43 pm

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:52 am
It's because bots.
Oh Jennifer. :roll:
It's not purely 'because bots'. I have first hand experience of it being precisely what I said it was in my post above. i.e. A preference for real names (a la facebook). When it was known for definite that I was a real person, the admins *still* would not approve the username "Ayum" for use here, and requested that the username consist of a forename and surname.

However cute it is that you presume to know things about my motivations, I wasn't actually going off half-cocked with the comment above. It came from a place of being pretty well informed.
"Si my une Land, uvloth cyay uvloth cyar. Lay uv menan Land De Lamphs, ate lay saihlle uv cohme an nar..."

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7757
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Welcome visitors! Please read this topic before registering.

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Apterous and c4c used to have a more rigid real name policy than they do now, at least in principle.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests