Welcome visitors! Please read this topic before registering.

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Welcome visitors! Please read this topic before registering.

Post by Ben Wilson »

Welcome to the internet's #1 discussion board for all things related to the Channel 4 game show Countdown! This board has been open since January 2008 and we're always eager to welcome new members into our ranks, whether it's to discuss the most recent episode or shows from years gone past, or to arrange game sessions either online at sites like apterous or face-to-face at one of the many meet-ups that take place throughout the year.

So please, feel free to register an account and start posting! When registering your account, please ensure that you use your real name (or a credible-sounding pseudonym)- this will ensure that your account gets approved swiftly. You must include a space between your first and last names, otherwise the account will be automatically rejected.

Happy countdowning! :)
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: Welcome visitors! Please read this topic before registering.

Post by Adam Gillard »

Is peusdonym your alter-eog?
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Someone on the moderation team might correct me on this, but I believe one-word usernames get rejected automatically, because spambots like to register with usernames like ThunderSplat112358. So register your username as "John Smith" not "JohnSmith", for example.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Graeme Cole wrote:Someone on the moderation team might correct me on this, but I believe one-word usernames get rejected automatically, because spambots like to register with usernames like ThunderSplat112358. So register your username as "John Smith" not "JohnSmith", for example.
They're not automatically rejected anymore, but it does make it easier to spot a legitimate user.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Ben Wilson wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:20 pm please ensure that you use your real name
Mark Zuckerberg has a lot to answer for.
(I miss pre-facebook internet and its norms...)

But having said that, it brings joy to my heart that the most active user here is called Gavin Chipper! :D
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:22 am
Ben Wilson wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:20 pm please ensure that you use your real name
Mark Zuckerberg has a lot to answer for.
(I miss pre-facebook internet and its norms...)

But having said that, it brings joy to my heart that the most active user here is called Gavin Chipper! :D
Yeah, unfortunately for your crusade to prove how evil the modern world is, this isn't a social media-led conspiracy theory:
Ben Wilson wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:39 am
Graeme Cole wrote:Someone on the moderation team might correct me on this, but I believe one-word usernames get rejected automatically, because spambots like to register with usernames like ThunderSplat112358. So register your username as "John Smith" not "JohnSmith", for example.
They're not automatically rejected anymore, but it does make it easier to spot a legitimate user.
It's because bots.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:52 am It's because bots.
Oh Jennifer. :roll:
It's not purely 'because bots'. I have first hand experience of it being precisely what I said it was in my post above. i.e. A preference for real names (a la facebook). When it was known for definite that I was a real person, the admins *still* would not approve the username "Ayum" for use here, and requested that the username consist of a forename and surname.

However cute it is that you presume to know things about my motivations, I wasn't actually going off half-cocked with the comment above. It came from a place of being pretty well informed.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Apterous and c4c used to have a more rigid real name policy than they do now, at least in principle.