Legalities of posting clips on Youtube

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jon Stitcher
Rookie

Legalities of posting clips on Youtube

Post by Jon Stitcher »

I was doing some tidying today and came across the DVD of my four Countdown episodes.

There is one moment from my final game which was pretty extraordinary and I would like to post it on youtube. Can this be done or would I need express permission from the Countdown team/Channel 4 etc?

Thanks all.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Re: Legalities of posting clips on Youtube

Post by Mark Deeks »

Technically yes, but the no harm no foul rule seems to apply. It's not like it would prohibit DVD sales.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jon Stitcher wrote:I was doing some tidying today and came across the DVD of my four Countdown episodes.

There is one moment from my final game which was pretty extraordinary and I would like to post it on youtube. Can this be done or would I need express permission from the Countdown team/Channel 4 etc?

Thanks all.
People have put entire episodes up on YouTube before and they've been taken down. However, if it's just a short clip from one episode to illustrate something pretty extraordinary, I can't imagine there'd be any copyright problem. I would hope this sort of thing would be protected by the same fair dealing defence that allows a journalist to quote a passage from a book they're reviewing, for example.

(P.S. I'm not a lawyer.)
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Is there where the max was SOCIETY and you said "that's a f***king great word"?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jon Stitcher wrote:There is one moment from my final game which was pretty extraordinary
Was it the teaser answer coming up in the very next round?
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Of course you can't, unless you want to get banned from the 40th Birthday Championship for life.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Of course you can't, unless you want to get banned from the 40th Birthday Championship for life.
How long are you expecting the 40th Birthday Championship to last?
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:Of course you can't, unless you want to get banned from the 40th Birthday Championship for life.
I realise that that remark sounded kind of illogical, but there was just no way that I could get the term "Nth for All N = 10K Where K Is An Integer Greater Than Or Equal To 4 Birthday Championship" to sound catchy.
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Jon Stitcher
Rookie

Post by Jon Stitcher »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Jon Stitcher wrote:There is one moment from my final game which was pretty extraordinary
Was it the teaser answer coming up in the very next round?
That's the one.

The whole of that 'half' was pretty awesome actually. Us both getting that. me spotting a 9. Jack getting DIOCESAN and then him making 924 from a very tough 6s selection.

But I'll just put the teaser up on youtube.
Jon Stitcher
Rookie

Post by Jon Stitcher »

Matt Bayfield wrote:Is there where the max was SOCIETY and you said "that's a f***king great word"?
Hah - nothing excited me as much as seeing Menace II Society as an Only Connect clue. That wasn't the first time I swore on TV though, I did say SHIT after getting something wrong in the kube on Krypton Factor
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jon Stitcher wrote:I was doing some tidying today and came across the DVD of my four Countdown episodes.

Thanks all.
Jon, just do it. The worst that can happen is that either Channel 4 or YTV (if they still exist) will ask you to remove it. As far as I know, they can't do any more than that unless you're deliberately using an association with them to make money.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

The Catsdown specials Channel 4 get really picky about, so the title sequence (and the 1989-91 one as they used it on the 80s special) will register as Catsdown and get blocked.

Otherwise OK, I think.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:
I realise that that remark sounded kind of illogical, but there was just no way that I could get the term "Nth for All N = 10K Where K Is An Integer Greater Than Or Equal To 4 Birthday Championship" to sound catchy.
You could just say "banned for life from any future birthday specials". Unless you're suggesting that the ban would only apply to multiples of 10, so not the 75th birthday special.