Records on the wiki

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Records on the wiki

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Many of the records on the wiki make no distinction between the new 15 and the old 15. These records should be kept distinct (I don't know why they ever weren't), so I'm declaring a project to sort this out. As well as the page I've just linked to, there are other affected pages too such as this. Actually the main table of that page doesn't really matter *that* much but there needs to be a separate evolution of the record for the new 15.

Also, this game is mentioned as having unofficially the record score over nine rounds. But it's a completely different format! The number of rounds does not determine the format and where a record should belong.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Re: Records on the wiki

Post by Zarte Siempre »

I don't care.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Zarte Siempre wrote:I don't care.
You're a bad person.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I care.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Jon Corby wrote:I care.
You'd be a bad person either way.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Zarte Siempre wrote:
You'd be a bad person either way.
I don't care.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It's going to be quite fiddly to sort this out, especially in one go. So would anyone mind if I started to do this but left half-finished sentences? For example, it might currently say "The record score is x". I'll quickly be able to see which 15-round format that belong to and can put it in there. But then in the section for the other format I'll leave it as "The record score is". It would be easier to see what is missing if it's done that way.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote:It's going to be quite fiddly to sort this out, especially in one go. So would anyone mind if I started to do this but left half-finished sentences? For example, it might currently say "The record score is x". I'll quickly be able to see which 15-round format that belong to and can put it in there. But then in the section for the other format I'll leave it as "The record score is". It would be easier to see what is missing if it's done that way.
That's a green light then.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've made a start on this. I've noticed that some of the stuff was out-of-date anyway, and I haven't updated it all.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Thanks for fixing this. If you're likely to leave pages under construction for a while, it might be useful to define a template saying so and use that everywhere. That also makes it easier for you to find the unfinished pages later.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Should have gone to Specsavers.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rather than start a new thread, I'll post here. On the front page of the wiki, one of the links at the top is to All series and it links to this terrible page, rather than this much nicer one. But I think you need special powers to make changes to the front page, which I don't have, so does anyone that can want to edit it?

Also it has a link to "previous series", which links to the one series immediately before the current one, but I think it's ambiguous since "series" can be plural as well as singular, and "previous" doesn't just mean the one immediately before. So this could do with being changed as well.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:20 pm Rather than start a new thread, I'll post here. On the front page of the wiki, one of the links at the top is to All series and it links to this terrible page, rather than this much nicer one. But I think you need special powers to make changes to the front page, which I don't have, so does anyone that can want to edit it?

Also it has a link to "previous series", which links to the one series immediately before the current one, but I think it's ambiguous since "series" can be plural as well as singular, and "previous" doesn't just mean the one immediately before. So this could do with being changed as well.
Nice catch - have redirected the “All series” link to Series Winners. Would “Most recent series” be suitable to replace “Previous series” or is that just ambiguous again?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:53 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:20 pm Rather than start a new thread, I'll post here. On the front page of the wiki, one of the links at the top is to All series and it links to this terrible page, rather than this much nicer one. But I think you need special powers to make changes to the front page, which I don't have, so does anyone that can want to edit it?

Nice catch - have redirected the “All series” link to Series Winners. Would “Most recent series” be suitable to replace “Previous series” or is that just ambiguous again?
Thanks for making the change. Maybe "last series" could work?
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:33 pm
Johnny Canuck wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:53 pm

Thanks for making the change. Maybe "last series" could work?
No problem.

“Last series” actually was what it said before - but I actually changed it because “last series” could also be ambiguously read as “the final series” (or the final series in a set) by people not in the know.

I need to update the target of that link every series anyway, so maybe I’ll just use the number (Series 81, and possibly Series 82 instead of Current series too for consistency) instead.

Damn zero-plural words.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I hadn't noticed the joint score record page previously, because I think it's not linked to on the records page, so I've separated out the scores there. Also taken out the Cats game from the 9-round version.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It is also slightly weird that it's joint scores over 200 rather than 200 or more, so a game needs 201 to make the list. (Or 121 in 9-rounders.)
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

FYI, I made that page originally and set it up as "over 200" and not "200 or more" because the page for scores under 30 also worked that way (30 was excluded). We could change it but IMO we should change them all.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:59 pm FYI, I made that page originally and set it up as "over 200" and not "200 or more" because the page for scores under 30 also worked that way (30 was excluded). We could change it but IMO we should change them all.
I think that would be preferable to how it is now. But having said that, I don't think it would be completely insane to have under 30 but also 200 or more. If you're grouping in e.g. 10s, you'd have 0-9, 10-19, 20-29 etc. So 30 (and 200) would be "bottoms", whereas 29 would be a "top".
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:48 pm So 30 (and 200) would be "bottoms", whereas 29 would be a "top".
This place is becoming more like Grindr every day.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles