Countdown Classic Episodes

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Countdown Classic Episodes

Post by James Robinson »

In case you haven't seen, Challenge have just announced that they'll be showing classic episodes of Countdown for the first time next month.

They say they have 60 episodes from 1991-2, so that's around the Series 21-24 area. https://www.facebook.com/ChallengeTV/ph ... 90/?type=1

WHO ISN'T EXCITED ABOUT THAT :!: :!: :!: :?: :?: :?: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek:
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Countdown Classic Episodes

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Are there any "recap gaps"* that might be able to be filled in by these transmissions?

*also a valid conundrum scramble
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Are there any "recap gaps"* that might be able to be filled in by these transmissions?

Just a tiny bit of stuff needed on Episodes 1176 & 1177.

It would be much better if we had stuff from Series 1, 2 & 7. 8-)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Are there any "recap gaps"* that might be able to be filled in by these transmissions?

There's likely to be interesting stuff in games that got missed out of the historical recaps, so it will always be worth comparing the game against the recap.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

This is pretty cool. I don't think old episodes of Countdown have ever been repeated before, except for rare one-offs like the very first episode, and a handful of episodes in place of rained-off cricket over a decade ago.

If they're saying "60 episodes from 1991/92" my guess is that they're going to show Series 23. It would make sense for them to show an entire series rather than 60 randomly selected episodes from those two years. Series 23 was 65 episodes long though, so maybe 60 is approximate, or they've had to leave out five episodes for some reason.

If this hunch is correct, then we might see Glen Webb's original run.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Graeme, are there any contestants from that era who have also appeared in recent years (or have a namesake who has)? If so, it may be worth checking to see if they are the same person, as I don't think the wiki is entirely accurate in that respect. I'll probably remember the appearances of most 2011-14 contestants, while Robbo will have a good idea too.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jack Worsley wrote:Graeme, are there any contestants from that era who have also appeared in recent years (or have a namesake who has)? If so, it may be worth checking to see if they are the same person, as I don't think the wiki is entirely accurate in that respect. I'll probably remember the appearances of most 2011-14 contestants, while Robbo will have a good idea too.
If we look at contestants who appeared in 1991-92 with the same name as contestants who appeared in 2010 onwards, there are some that we already know are the same person, according to the wiki: Eileen Taylor, Eric Emslie, Glen Webb, Gweni Sorokin, John Taylor, Peter Etherington, Simon Gillam and Terry Stapleton. In some of these cases we already know they were returning contestants, but I'm not sure how we know in the case of, say, John Taylor.

Barry Grossman, David Webb and Jackie McLeod all appeared in 1991-92 and then in the 30th Birthday Championship.

Contestants who appeared in 1991-92 with the same name as contestants from 2010 onwards who the wiki does not say are the same person (and hence have different player IDs in the database so are treated as separate people) are Bill Donaldson, David Smith (two of these since 2010) and Peter Wilson. In the case of unusual names like Gweni Sorokin we might decide "yeah, this is probably the same person" in the absence of any other information, but we can't really do the same with these very common names, which is why I'm wondering whether someone had extra knowledge about John Taylor to decide he was a repeat contestant.

An obvious limitation of this sort of analysis is that a contestant could have changed their name since their first appearance, for marriage or other reasons, in which case we might never realise they've appeared before. There are almost certainly unknown cases of this on the wiki, where the same person is recorded as two differently-named players, but there's not much we can do about it except correct it as and when someone in the know points it out.
Edward Byrne
Rookie

Post by Edward Byrne »

Im so exited about this, it's getting late now, I hope I am not dreaming
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Jack Worsley wrote:Graeme, are there any contestants from that era who have also appeared in recent years (or have a namesake who has)? If so, it may be worth checking to see if they are the same person, as I don't think the wiki is entirely accurate in that respect. I'll probably remember the appearances of most 2011-14 contestants, while Robbo will have a good idea too.
If we look at contestants who appeared in 1991-92 with the same name as contestants who appeared in 2010 onwards, there are some that we already know are the same person, according to the wiki: Eileen Taylor, Eric Emslie, Glen Webb, Gweni Sorokin, John Taylor, Peter Etherington, Simon Gillam and Terry Stapleton. In some of these cases we already know they were returning contestants, but I'm not sure how we know in the case of, say, John Taylor.

Barry Grossman, David Webb and Jackie McLeod all appeared in 1991-92 and then in the 30th Birthday Championship.

Contestants who appeared in 1991-92 with the same name as contestants from 2010 onwards who the wiki does not say are the same person (and hence have different player IDs in the database so are treated as separate people) are Bill Donaldson, David Smith (two of these since 2010) and Peter Wilson. In the case of unusual names like Gweni Sorokin we might decide "yeah, this is probably the same person" in the absence of any other information, but we can't really do the same with these very common names, which is why I'm wondering whether someone had extra knowledge about John Taylor to decide he was a repeat contestant.

An obvious limitation of this sort of analysis is that a contestant could have changed their name since their first appearance, for marriage or other reasons, in which case we might never realise they've appeared before. There are almost certainly unknown cases of this on the wiki, where the same person is recorded as two differently-named players, but there's not much we can do about it except correct it as and when someone in the know points it out.
So if I change my name I might be able to sneak back on? Awesome. Please refer to me only as Horatio Swank from now on.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Has now been confirmed that "Classic Countdown" will be commence airing on Challenge on Monday 14 September at 7pm.

2 episodes a day will be shown, with them being repeated at noon the following day. ;) :) :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Are they on consecutively?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Are they on consecutively?
Yes, 7-8pm is the Countdown Zone!!

Still don't know where they're exactly starting from yet, but my guess is somewhere in Series 22....
Nick Deller
Rookie

Post by Nick Deller »

The trailer shows Richard Stilgoe holding up a card with a jocular 9 letter nonword, which fits perfectly with the details we know about July 3rd 1991 (Season 22 Ep 3).
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Looking forward to seeing these classic episodes :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :geek: :geek: :geek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Nick Deller wrote:The trailer shows Richard Stilgoe holding up a card with a jocular 9 letter nonword, which fits perfectly with the details we know about July 3rd 1991 (Season 22 Ep 3).
Yeah, based on the fact that they also said they had about 60-odd episodes, and Series 22 is 65 episodes long, it suggests to me that it's just that whole series that Challenge has..... :roll: :roll:
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

There's a "Countdown 2 days to go" teaser on screen on challenge today. :P
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Philip Wilson wrote:There's a "Countdown 2 days to go" teaser on screen on challenge today. :P
There was a "Countdown 3 days to go" teaser on screen on Challenge yesterday. :P
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

James Robinson wrote:
Philip Wilson wrote:There's a "Countdown 2 days to go" teaser on screen on challenge today. :P
There was a "Countdown 3 days to go" teaser on screen on Challenge yesterday. :P
Ha ha :D I have a pretty good idea what it will say tomorrow then!
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Are we having spoilers and recaps for these matches?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Philip Wilson wrote:Are we having spoilers and recaps for these matches?
We certainly should do - at least with spoilers. Spoiler threads can be started by anyone but with the recaps we could just post extra details in the existing historic recaps if we pick anything up.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
We certainly should do - at least with spoilers. Spoiler threads can be started by anyone but with the recaps we could just post extra details in the existing historic recaps if we pick anything up.
We already have the recaps, or have you forgotten about the work that I mostly did to recap them a few years ago... :P

Or in other words, go to the Historical Recaps section... :idea:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
We already have the recaps, or have you forgotten about the work that I mostly did to recap them a few years ago... :P

Yeah, that's what I said.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: We certainly should do - at least with spoilers. Spoiler threads can be started by anyone but with the recaps we could just post extra details in the existing historic recaps if we pick anything up.

Yeah, that's what I said.
Sorry, didn't mean to start a fight :-)
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

So this was the first series to use the pencam and it also saw the introduction of the second conundrum in the event of a tie instead of a rematch which happened before.
It was also legal to pick only 2 vowels at this time. The champion sat next to the host and the challenger had first pick.
Er endings to one syllable adjectives were allowed if not specified too.
Don't think any of this counts as a spoiler :-)
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Philip Wilson wrote: Er endings to one syllable adjectives were allowed if not specified too.
Isn't this still the case?
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Philip Wilson wrote: Er endings to one syllable adjectives were allowed if not specified too.
Isn't this still the case?
Yep sorry, I made it sound like it was different to now. I just mentioned it because I didn't think it was always the case but it was then. Or has it always been the case?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What happened to today's episodes?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:What happened to today's episodes?
Did you not see they moved it to 4pm now :?:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:
Where was I supposed to see that? Radio Times says 7 and they didn't mention immediately before or after last week's shows that they were changing times for this week. I don't check the Challenge website every day to make sure they aren't going to arbitrarily change their schedule so I'd have no reason to know. Where did you hear?

Are the repeats still on from 11am?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
Where was I supposed to see that? Radio Times says 7 and they didn't mention immediately before or after last week's shows that they were changing times for this week. I don't check the Challenge website every day to make sure they aren't going to arbitrarily change their schedule so I'd have no reason to know. Where did you hear?

Are the repeats still on from 11am?
I heard on Facebook, first from Challenge's own page, then Michael Cullen mentioned it, and the adverts have now changed the time from 7pm to 4pm.

And yes, the repeats are still at 11am.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Series link works it out by itself, luckily, as I've got behind being away. I noticed my box recording something at 4 o/c on Monday, which was how I found out they'd changed it.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

It's just been mentioned on Facebook that the last 5 episodes of this series have now been found, and they're being shown from Friday at 7:30am. 8-)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Just finding old episodes on YouTube is fun...

Just came across this episode which was shown a month before my very first show, which was also the debut of Alison Heard in DC, plus featured a future murder suspect in the audience... :P

https://youtu.be/eAfOdIHRnEo
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Another classic Countdown episode here.

This is from January 2001 in Series 44, and the introduction piece from Richard gave an interesting insight on what was about to happen in the near future... ;) :) :D
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

A few more episodes have suddenly appeared from the 9R/15R transition period in 2001, including one of the rare episodes when a certain Series Producer was in the celebrity guest chair....