memorising words

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
lee nixon

memorising words

Post by lee nixon »

Any tips??What with playing the countdown app,studying the dictionary,watching the show etc I'm in danger of being overwhelmed with the weight of words I'm attempting to remember :oops:
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Re: memorising words

Post by Dan McColm »

My advice would be not to play the Countdown app as the dictionary probably isn't 100% accurate, head over to apterous.org and enjoy unlimited games of Countdown with an accurate dictionary for just £20 a year. As for remembering words, you could make flashcards with the scramble of the word you're trying to remember on one side and the solution on the other? http://www.cram.com/flashcards/create is a good website for creating flashcards
lee nixon

Post by lee nixon »

Thanks a lot.I couldn't get on Apterous,my phone wouldn't download.I have noticed that some of the words coming up on the app are not in the OED.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

TBH Lee your opening post makes it sound like you're not enjoying the process much. If you're not enjoying it, don't do it!
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark Deeks wrote:TBH Lee your opening post makes it sound like you're not enjoying the process much. If you're not enjoying it, don't do it!
But some ways of practising for Countdown are more enjoyable than others. I think most Apterites would find studying the dictionary a bit boring. Not you because you're hardcore, but mere mortals.
lee nixon

Post by lee nixon »

But as I've already stated I cannot get on Apterous!!I need to find alternative means of revision.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

You can't play apterous on a phone - it has to be a computer with a browser that can run Java.
lee nixon

Post by lee nixon »

Ok thanks a lot.Will have a look at that Sunday :-)