Clarke Carlisle

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Clarke Carlisle

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

As I'm sure you're all aware, former Countdown contestant and former footballer Clarke Carlisle was involved in a collision with a lorry back in December. Whilst he is alive and out of hospital, it's very sad to hear that he has said that he did this deliberately in an attempt to commit suicide, as he had been charged with a drink-driving offence two days previously. Very sad to hear this, can only wish him well for the future and hope he fights his depression. :(
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Clarke Carlisle

Post by Jon O'Neill »

You say "as he had been charged with a drink-driving offence two days previously" but I doubt that was the only reason. Completely agree with your sentiment in the following sentence though.

Or are you saying that's why it's sad? I think it would've been sad even if he hadn't been charged with a drink-driving offence two days previously.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:an attempt to commit suicide, as he had been charged with a drink-driving offence two days previously.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon O'Neill wrote:You say "as he had been charged with a drink-driving offence two days previously" but I doubt that was the only reason.
For the record I got in before you but forgot to press submit for like half an hour.

My guess is you would struggle to even find an article that puts it down to his driving conviction solely, maybe Rhys just did some bad skim reading.

Both the articles I have seen have direct quotes from Carlisle and his wife which mention a list of reasons including struggling to deal with retirement from football, losing a TV punditry position, and other things.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Throwing away a massive lead against an inferior opponent on Countdown can't have helped.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Throwing away a massive lead against an inferior opponent on Countdown can't have helped.
:lol: