Countdowners in the news

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Phil Collinge
Acolyte

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Phil Collinge » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:09 am

From a little known Scottish football blog by Pat Anderson.

"I see my favourite quiz, The £100k Drop, is back on, but they’ve fucking ruined it. It looks like they’ve weeded out all the thick cunts that made the show so entertaining. It’s boring as fuck now. It’s the opposite problem with Countdown. There seems to be a conveyor belt of sad fuckers these days, whose whole lives have been devoted to appearing on the programme. No Harry Potter or anything for these cunts; they’ve been reading nothing but the dictionary since they were children. The guy that’s on it just now is like a fucking machine with the words he comes up with. They should give the cunt a good slap and throw him out the studio by the scruff of the neck."

James Haughton is the damned recipient of this faint praise.

https://paddyontherailway.wordpress.com ... can-share/

James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:03 am

Am I being stupid but surely what he's just described is the same problem, rather than the opposite problem? If he's saying that there's not enough 'thick people' on the 100k drop anymore, and then complains the standard on Countdown is too high.

Mark Deeks
Kiloposter

Post by Mark Deeks » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:15 am

I think his point is that both are problems. Countdown is rendered unplayable by the high standard, and the drop is unwatchable because of the low one.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark