The next Championship of Champions - now back on topic

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: The next Championship of Champions - now back on topic

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Does monitoring Countdown Team's profile page and repeatedly checking the "Last Active" date and time count as stalking?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Does monitoring Countdown Team's profile page and repeatedly checking the "Last Active" date and time count as stalking?
I believe they're in the studio Monday to Wednesday this week, so check again tomorrow and Friday.

There are too many Countdowners with the initials CT. Conor Travers, Callum Todd, Countdown Team, Com Tappleman...
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

James Robinson wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:Will the design of the set be changed at the start of CoC XIV? In the past, CoCs (specifically, X, XI and XIII) have often been the times when the set's appearance gets revamped.

Of course this might just be a coincidence that only losers with no lives will catch.
That would be quite a quick change, considering that based on what CT has said, they'll be recording the Series 73 final on November 3, with the first CoC XIV prelims the next day.

I think probably not in this case, Johnny...... :roll: :P
Maybe CoC will be the finale for the current set. As much as I like the blue, it has been around a while now so maybe a revamp is due
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

James Laverty wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:Will the design of the set be changed at the start of CoC XIV? In the past, CoCs (specifically, X, XI and XIII) have often been the times when the set's appearance gets revamped.

Of course this might just be a coincidence that only losers with no lives will catch.
That would be quite a quick change, considering that based on what CT has said, they'll be recording the Series 73 final on November 3, with the first CoC XIV prelims the next day.

I think probably not in this case, Johnny...... :roll: :P
Maybe CoC will be the finale for the current set. As much as I like the blue, it has been around a while now so maybe a revamp is due
Well, let's hope the set designers are working overtime :!: :!: :!: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Mark Mills
Rookie

Post by Mark Mills »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote: There are too many Countdowners with the initials CT. Conor Travers, Callum Todd, Countdown Team, Com Tappleman...
Don't forget Cracey Trills
Married to Tracey Mills but please don't be put off. :D
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Breaking news: secretly-filmed footage from the Countdown office shows discussion of the next CoC...

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Delayed again?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Mark Mills
Rookie

Post by Mark Mills »

Any more news on CoC gone very quiet. :roll: :roll: :roll:
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Mark Mills wrote:Any more news on CoC gone very quiet. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Sounds like it's delayed again. Quelle suprise........ :P
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

I believe the finals of S73 have been moved from 2nd & 3rd November to 3rd & 4th November, which makes it unlikely that there will be a CoC starting on the 4th. Perhaps the plan is to put the CoC into one three-day filming block starting from 23rd November?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Graeme Cole wrote:I believe the finals of S73 have been moved from 2nd & 3rd November to 3rd & 4th November, which makes it unlikely that there will be a CoC starting on the 4th. Perhaps the plan is to put the CoC into one three-day filming block starting from 23rd November?
Maybe, but I bet it won't be till after S74 now......
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

"Sounds like" according to whom? Is that a guess, or did you hear it from someone?
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

James Robinson wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:I believe the finals of S73 have been moved from 2nd & 3rd November to 3rd & 4th November, which makes it unlikely that there will be a CoC starting on the 4th. Perhaps the plan is to put the CoC into one three-day filming block starting from 23rd November?
Maybe, but I bet it won't be till after S74 now......
That would be a summer time slot. Horse racing.
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

The draw for CoC 13 was announced late in October, with filming taking place a few weeks later. So it's probably too early to speculate as to whether or not there has been a postponement.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

samir pilica wrote:The draw for CoC 13 was announced late in October, with filming taking place a few weeks later. So it's probably too early to speculate as to whether or not there has been a postponement.
That's true. I was just curious as to whether JR (or anyone else) had been to the studio and heard Damian confirm/strongly suspect that another postponement has happened, because that's what his earlier comment seemed to suggest to me.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
samir pilica wrote:The draw for CoC 13 was announced late in October, with filming taking place a few weeks later. So it's probably too early to speculate as to whether or not there has been a postponement.
That's true. I was just curious as to whether JR (or anyone else) had been to the studio and heard Damian confirm/strongly suspect that another postponement has happened, because that's what his earlier comment seemed to suggest to me.
I have nothing from a personal viewpoint or from any internal sources. :)
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

James Robinson wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:
I have nothing from a personal viewpoint or from any internal sources. :)
OK, cool. Thanks a million.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

The worry that I already had - and still have - is that the pool of contestants is far too large to select from, which was the advantage of having a COC after every four series and a Supreme Championship every 32.

The issue is that since COC10 (start of 42) we've only had one at the start of 49, 60, and the 30BC at 68. And if this is delayed to the start of 75 then the talent pool encompasses 67-74 plus some from 60-66 (Oli, Eoin, maybe even Deeksy has a case), but 16 contestants would be the 10 winners and 6 runners-up, so there's no guarantee that someone like Heather or even Tracey would get in.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:maybe even Deeksy has a case
Mark reappearing on the show would, no doubt, be a delight to all concerned. However, he was in the 30BC, so why him specifically?
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

We're finally ready to go with the CofC.

Nov 23 - 25. 16 players.

About to contact those involved and once all participants are confirmed, we'll post the draw.

Apologies for the delay.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

(That says "who?" -- bring on the draw!)
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:maybe even Deeksy has a case
Mark reappearing on the show would, no doubt, be a delight to all concerned. However, he was in the 30BC, so why him specifically?
He lost very early on to the man who ended up finishing 2nd.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

It's all right, I'll present the next one.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Zubair Patel
Rookie

Post by Zubair Patel »

That's correct. CofC's recordings will be on the 23rd /24th /25th November.
Mark Mills
Rookie

Post by Mark Mills »

Thats great news, hopefully will be going to support Tracey if she is selected... :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I thought I might as well make another prediction:

Series 62: Oliver Garner
Series 63: Eoin Monaghan
Series 67: Paul James, Heather Styles
Series 68: Giles Hutchings, Andy Platt
Series 69: Callum Todd, Dylan Taylor, Jen Steadman, Glen Webb
Series 70: Mark Murray, Andy Naylor
Series 71: Dan McColm, Antoinette Ryan
Series 72: Tom Cappleman, Tracey Mills

I decided not to spend too much time on this and I don't know how realistic it is. We've talked about Oliver and Eoin's inclusion for ages but I've no idea if they will actually be invited. Also, I decided to go for at least two from each series - basically the winners and finalists. That would leave room for two series to have three but I've ended up with one series having four based on the strength of the series. But it might not work like that.

Obviously there are other people in with a chance, including David Barnard, George Ford and Eileen Taylor. I also had Bradley Cates and Samir Pilica on a previous list, but that was before the number of series involved went up even more.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

MONDAY NOVEMBER 23RD

1. TOM CAPPLEMAN V GLENN WEBB

2. HEATHER STYLES V GILES HUTCHINGS

3. ANDY PLATT V DAVID BARNARD

4. DYLAN TAYLOR V TRACEY MILLS

5. GEORGE FORD V JEN STEADMAN

TUESDAY NOVEMBER 24TH

6. CALLUM TODD V SAMIR PILICA

7. DAN MCCOLM V PAUL JAMES

8. ANTOINETTE RYAN V MARK MURRAY

9. Winner of 1 v Winner of 2

10. Winner of 3 v Winner of 4

WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 25TH

11. Winner of 5 v Winner of 6

12. Winner of 7 v Winner of 8

13. Winner of 9 v Winner of 10

14. Winner of 11 v Winner of 12

15. Winner of 13 v Winner of 14
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere, i'm a bit out of the loop with countdown stuff at the moment, but what dictionary will be in use for CoC? Will it be the ODO as of its recent update, the ODO from before the update, the old hard copy of ODE3, or something else?
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

www.oxforddictionaries.com - The live internet version on the day, so whatever is in, is in.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Is there a reason why the quarter-final line-up isn't the usual 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, etc.....??
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

James Robinson wrote:Is there a reason why the quarter-final line-up isn't the usual 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, etc.....??
Because there are no seeds, so why make the order more complicated than it needs to be?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

JackHurst wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Is there a reason why the quarter-final line-up isn't the usual 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, etc.....??
Because there are no seeds, so why make the order more complicated than it needs to be?
Well, it's not stopped them using it in the last few CoC's.... :P (Discounting the 30BC as a CoC, of course)
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Remember when the 30th Birthday Championship draw was announced and I made a nice spreadsheet showing all the matches and the structure of the draw?

This time I'm on holiday and so I've used different, lower-tech tools to perform the same task. I'm sure you'll agree that you can hardly tell the difference.

Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Countdown Team wrote:http://www.oxforddictionaries.com - The live internet version on the day, so whatever is in, is in.
Thanks (y)
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Games 3 and 10 are gonna be whack.
Matty Artell
Rookie

Post by Matty Artell »

Unlike Graeme, I'm still in the 21st century, so here you go <3 xoxo
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Cool stuff. Doubt I'll make it past round one like, but I'll enjoy every second.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Awesome stuff. I think the line-up falls largely in line with people's predictions. Obviously no Garner or Monaghan, but their inclusion was speculative (and we don't know who if anyone declined their invitations). So who are the early favourites? Anyone willing to do an entire 15-match prediction?
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

Gucci
Matty Artell
Rookie

Post by Matty Artell »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Awesome stuff. I think the line-up falls largely in line with people's predictions. Obviously no Garner or Monaghan, but their inclusion was speculative (and we don't know who if anyone declined their invitations). So who are the early favourites? Anyone willing to do an entire 15-match prediction?
Although only a few are clear-cut (or as close to as you can get in this game) these are my thoughts;

RO16; Tom > Glen, Giles > Heather, David > Andy, Dylan > Tracey, Jen > George, Callum > Samir, Dan > Paul, Mark > Antoinette
QF; Giles > Tom, Dylan > David, Callum > Jen, Dan > Mark
SF; Dylan > Giles, Dan > Callum
GF; Dylan > Dan

Quite a few tricky matchups to decide though. This could easily go any way. That said, #TeamDylan2015

Edit; David > Dylan in the QF. rip
Last edited by Matty Artell on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Cates »

Good luck, everyone! I'm sure that this will be a very entertaining Champion of Champions!
Sfumato soup
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Too early to say, depends who has the most time available to practice. You know how it is.

I'm looking forward to an avalanche of 4 large and 6 small numbers though.
Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Post by Andy McGurn »

Bradley Cates wrote:Good luck, everyone! I'm sure that this will be a very entertaining Champion of Champions!
Were you invited?
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Cates »

Andy McGurn wrote:
Bradley Cates wrote:Good luck, everyone! I'm sure that this will be a very entertaining Champion of Champions!
Were you invited?
No.
Sfumato soup
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Looks quality!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Looks quality!
Were you invited?
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Countdown Team - is it true that contestants aren't automatically spared a seat for CoC filming sessions they're not in?
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Matty Artell wrote:Image

Unlike Graeme, I'm still in the 21st century, so here you go <3 xoxo
Great Draw :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

#TeamTracey2015
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Eoin Monaghan wrote:Looks quality!
Were you invited?
I wasn't. Kind of spared me from a tricky decision of having to contest practicing/filming with the first few weeks of uni, anyway.

Seems I was just unlucky to miss out on 30BC due to age! Good luck to everyone.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Countdown Team wrote:MONDAY NOVEMBER 23RD

TUESDAY NOVEMBER 24TH

WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 25TH

Do you know what the broadcast dates will be yet?
Mark Mills
Rookie

Post by Mark Mills »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Countdown Team - is it true that contestants aren't automatically spared a seat for CoC filming sessions they're not in?
My question also Jen, Sure we all want to stay and watch our friends in the other games even if Tracey gets beat and sure it applies to all contestants as we all know each other.. If Tracey loses to Dylan we would both like to be there to watch the rest as audience members.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Matty Artell wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Awesome stuff. I think the line-up falls largely in line with people's predictions. Obviously no Garner or Monaghan, but their inclusion was speculative (and we don't know who if anyone declined their invitations). So who are the early favourites? Anyone willing to do an entire 15-match prediction?
Although only a few are clear-cut (or as close to as you can get in this game) these are my thoughts;

RO16; Tom > Glen, Giles > Heather, David > Andy, Dylan > Tracey, Jen > George, Callum > Samir, Dan > Paul, Mark > Antoinette
QF; Giles > Tom, Dylan > David, Callum > Jen, Dan > Mark
SF; Dylan > Giles, Dan > Callum
GF; Dylan > Dan

Quite a few tricky matchups to decide though. This could easily go any way. That said, #TeamDylan2015
Purely based on instinct, I largely agree, although I reckon Andy could beat David in Round One (or R16, whatever), and George may just squeeze past Jen. That means we'd have QFs of Dylan v Andy (Dylan) and Callum v George (Callum). I reckon Tom will beat Giles in the quarters, setting up a Dylan v Tom semi, and again I think Dylan will prevail. In the final, however... what's the betting on a double-max for the first 14 rounds with 819 horrible unsolved conundrums until they find a winner?

What my statistical analysis says when I run it through the computer later could be quite different. For example, it hugely underestimated Antoinette in the S71 finals, expecting her to lose her semi final (albeit the margin was pretty tight to make that call).
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Countdown Team wrote:MONDAY NOVEMBER 23RD

TUESDAY NOVEMBER 24TH

WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 25TH

Do you know what the broadcast dates will be yet?
I bet it'll start on January 11, so it would finish on January 29, the day before COLIN. ;) :) :D
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Countdown Team - is it true that contestants aren't automatically spared a seat for CoC filming sessions they're not in?
Our game is going to be so good 8-)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

James Robinson wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Do you know what the broadcast dates will be yet?
I bet it'll start on January 11, so it would finish on January 29, the day before COLIN. ;) :) :D
This will be sick. We can watch the final on Gevin's TV on the COLIN train.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Nice :)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Do you know what the broadcast dates will be yet?
This will be sick. We can watch the final on Gevin's TV on the COLIN train.
I'm purely basing this on the fact that my latest information from my internal sources suggest that the Series 73 final is being broadcast on Christmas Day!! :o :shock:

So, restarting with the CoC on January 4 might just be a bit too early...
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Final is Wed 23 of December.
C of C starts on Jan 4th.
That's from our internal sources. 8-)
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

George Pryn wrote:
Our game is going to be so good 8-)
The idea that in the first round, every contestant is playing for one of the limited audience seats at the next day's games, certainly adds to the drama.