Name plates of contestants

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Post Reply
Ralph Gillions
Devotee
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:53 pm
Location: South Yorkshire

Name plates of contestants

Post by Ralph Gillions » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:24 pm

I have now seen on another thread that the current contestants name is Junaid.
I watched (I think carefully) the programme hoping to see his name rather than just hear it, because I wanted to know the spelling.
The little things in front of contestants are presumably name plates.
But they were tiny and I couldn`t read them. Also I don`t think they were ever shown on camera - they were out of shot below the screen.
I may have blinked and missed seeing them. I may be wrong (I often am).
But I don`t quite understand why they have name-plates which are tiny and which are not shown.
Gosh! Talk about trivia.....

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9480
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Charlie Reams » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:51 pm

Ralph wrote:I have now seen on another thread that the current contestants name is Junaid.
I watched (I think carefully) the programme hoping to see his name rather than just hear it, because I wanted to know the spelling.
The little things in front of contestants are presumably name plates.
But they were tiny and I couldn`t read them. Also I don`t think they were ever shown on camera - they were out of shot below the screen.
I may have blinked and missed seeing them. I may be wrong (I often am).
But I don`t quite understand why they have name-plates which are tiny and which are not shown.
Gosh! Talk about trivia.....
You have a strange sense of mise en page. On first sight I thought you'd posed your question in the form of an extended haiku. But yes, they are shown very briefly at the start and never thereafter. That's why recappers often end up missing the name of the challenger.

Ralph Gillions
Devotee
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:53 pm
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Ralph Gillions » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:26 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:You have a strange sense of mise en page.
Flatterer! Perhaps it stems from my time in journalism.
Thanks, Charlie, for your clarification about the name-plates.

(I did the quote thing wrong. Sorry)

User avatar
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur
Posts: 5458
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 am
Location: London

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Michael Wallace » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:10 pm

All this just makes me want to try and get as many ex-contestants, and their nameplates, into one place at once for a mass photo.

User avatar
Ben Wilson
Legend
Posts: 4262
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: North Hykeham

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Ben Wilson » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:21 pm

Michael Wallace wrote:All this just makes me want to try and get as many ex-contestants, and their nameplates, into one place at once for a mass photo.
If only there was a mass gathering of former, current and future contestants at some point in the future... ;) (One that the poster of rhe quoted message hasn't actually signed up for yet.)

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9480
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Charlie Reams » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:23 pm

Ben Wilson wrote:If only there was a mass gathering of former, current and future contestants at some point in the future... ;) (One that the poster of rhe quoted message hasn't actually signed up for yet.)
I think the polarity on your sarcasm-o-matic got reversed halfway through that.

User avatar
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur
Posts: 5458
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 am
Location: London

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Michael Wallace » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:38 pm

Ben Wilson wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:All this just makes me want to try and get as many ex-contestants, and their nameplates, into one place at once for a mass photo.
If only there was a mass gathering of former, current and future contestants at some point in the future...
If only indeed!

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3645
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Ian Volante » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:33 pm

I'm still grumpy that I never thought to grab my name plate when I got beat. I'd have it over my bed or something.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7997
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Jon Corby » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:00 pm

Ian Volante wrote:I'm still grumpy that I never thought to grab my name plate when I got beat. I'd have it over my bed or something.
You didn't get it? I got mine from the heats and the finals in my goody bag. One is on my desk at work and the other's in my downstairs crapper :)

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Jon O'Neill » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:44 pm

They're both above my bedroom door. One on the way in and one on the way out. I don't get many women, as you might expect.

User avatar
Ben Wilson
Legend
Posts: 4262
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: North Hykeham

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Ben Wilson » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:58 pm

I'm a bit miffed that I only wound up with one despite three trips to YTV studios- ah well.

Nita Marr of the Edinburgh Countdown Club has about eight... :-/

Paul Howe
Kiloposter
Posts: 1070
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Paul Howe » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:57 am

I've got two. One is in a framed montage together with some Countdown photos, and the other one is superglued to my forehead so people will always know who I am.

Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion
Posts: 2707
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Dinos Sfyris » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:32 pm

I had 2 nameplates (1 from my each of my recording days). One, signed by Carol, lies in the kitchen cabinet in front of my teapot, and the other was nabbed by Emma and remains in her special box :)

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9480
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Charlie Reams » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:18 pm

Dinos Sfyris wrote:the other was nabbed by Emma and remains in her special box :)
A delightful image.

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7997
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Jon Corby » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:19 pm

Dinos Sfyris wrote:One, signed by Carol, lies in the kitchen cabinet in front of my teapot, and the other was nabbed by Emma and remains in her special box :)
Kinky bitch.

Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion
Posts: 2707
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Dinos Sfyris » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:22 pm

Wow 46 minutes. What kept you! Also in her special box is a very dirty numbers solution (3 large)

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7997
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Jon Corby » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:24 pm

Dinos Sfyris wrote:What kept you!
Emma's special box 8-)

User avatar
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic
Posts: 2446
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:19 am
Location: Liverpool, UK

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Joseph Bolas » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:01 pm

Ian Volante wrote:I'm still grumpy that I never thought to grab my name plate when I got beat. I'd have it over my bed or something.
You could always make one to replace the one you should've got :P

I think the name cards are made out of Mount Board (or something like that) and are 31cm x 4.5 cm. You would then just need to cut out some stcky letters in a Futura font and then stick them on the card :lol:

Incidentally, I think in the older series, before linoleum was used for the tiles, the tiles too were made out of the same card and the letters/numbers were stuck on too (well, it looks it, going by an old Countdown magazine I have anyway from 1995 :lol:).

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3645
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Ian Volante » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:07 pm

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:I'm still grumpy that I never thought to grab my name plate when I got beat. I'd have it over my bed or something.
Make one? I'm way too busy with checking apterous every two minutes and not washing up...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3645
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Ian Volante » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:05 pm

Jon Corby wrote:
Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:00 pm
Ian Volante wrote:I'm still grumpy that I never thought to grab my name plate when I got beat. I'd have it over my bed or something.
You didn't get it? I got mine from the heats and the finals in my goody bag. One is on my desk at work and the other's in my downstairs crapper :)
This time round they were given to me as I was ushered out of the door, so I've got one attached to my work monitor to remind me who I am. The other one I might put on the car windscreen.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Fanatic
Posts: 2464
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight

Re: Name plates of contestants

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:16 pm

Mine lives with my teapot.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests