Best ever contestants

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8229
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:30 am

Graeme Cole wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:14 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:15 pm
It can take years of studying CSW in order to win the WSC.
I studied the ODE for ages. Where's my Duke of Edinburgh award?
That's really good. I was considering making some stupid comment but I'm glad I didn't now.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3096
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Graeme Cole wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:14 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:15 pm
It can take years of studying CSW in order to win the WSC.
I studied the ODE for ages. Where's my Duke of Edinburgh award?
Presumably, it must take some skill to unlearn words from one dictionary before studying a new one
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Owen Carroll
Enthusiast
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 1:10 am

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Owen Carroll » Sat May 26, 2018 11:31 am

1: Dylan Taylor
2: Zarte Siempre
3: Conor Travers
4:Kirk Bevins
5: Chris Davies
6: Julian Fell
7: Craig Beevers
8: Jack Hurst
9: Giles hutchings
10: Jen Steadmen

Elliott Mellor
Enthusiast
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Elliott Mellor » Sat May 26, 2018 11:59 am

Owen Carroll wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:31 am
1: Dylan Taylor
2: Zarte Siempre
3: Conor Travers
4:Kirk Bevins
5: Chris Davies
6: Julian Fell
7: Craig Beevers
8: Jack Hurst
9: Giles hutchings
10: Jen Steadmen
I think the list of players is more or less similar to mine, but I wouldn't put them in that order. Be interesting to hear your logic for this order (if they indeed were in order here). :)

Owen Carroll
Enthusiast
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 1:10 am

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Owen Carroll » Sat May 26, 2018 12:47 pm

I wasn't going in order completely. That was an accident. And I didn't see your list

Elliott Mellor
Enthusiast
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Elliott Mellor » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:49 pm

Zarte surely has to be considered amongst the all the time greatest now...

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8229
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:18 pm

Elliott Mellor wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:49 pm
Zarte surely has to be considered amongst the all the time greatest now...
Yes, but with a CoC coming up fairly soon, it's not worth coming up with a new list until then.

Owen Carroll
Enthusiast
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 1:10 am

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Owen Carroll » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:23 pm

Zarte and Philip definitely make it in my opinion!

Tom S
Enthusiast
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Tom S » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:25 pm

Owen Carroll wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:23 pm
Zarte and Philip definitely make it in my opinion!
With all due respect to Philip, and whilst he is a great player and one who is of a much better ability than myself, I would not personally count him as one of the best of all time.

Elliott Mellor
Enthusiast
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Elliott Mellor » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:45 pm

Tom S wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:25 pm
Owen Carroll wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:23 pm
Zarte and Philip definitely make it in my opinion!
With all due respect to Philip, and whilst he is a great player and one who is of a much better ability than myself, I would not personally count him as one of the best of all time.
If he wins COC, then I'd possibly be willing to consider him up there - but largely yeah I agree with this sentiment. His 2 losses in his series are sort of going to hinder him in this field, even if they were to Zarte.

Tom S
Enthusiast
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Tom S » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:33 pm

Elliott Mellor wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:45 pm
Tom S wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:25 pm
Owen Carroll wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:23 pm
Zarte and Philip definitely make it in my opinion!
With all due respect to Philip, and whilst he is a great player and one who is of a much better ability than myself, I would not personally count him as one of the best of all time.
If he wins COC, then I'd possibly be willing to consider him up there - but largely yeah I agree with this sentiment. His 2 losses in his series are sort of going to hinder him in this field, even if they were to Zarte.
Agreed- and he definitely deserves to be at CoC

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests