Currently Pointless

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Currently Pointless

Post by James Robinson »

Here's the good idea to get us up to date with a current Pointless page.

What did everyone think of the new final round format :?: :?: :? :?

I thought it was a very interesting idea to give sub-categories into the main categories, and it also gave so many Pointlesses in today's one, which I was well amazed :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :o :o 8-) 8-) ;) :) :D :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Currently Pointless

Post by Michael Wallace »

Just caught up with this. It's a pretty weird change, as all of a sudden we're faced with three list style questions simultaneously which feels a bit overwhelming (plus when you only get 60 seconds to come upw ith an answer, they kinda have to rush through asking the questions to avoid giving contestants a ludicrously long time to think). Can see why they changed it though - a lot of jackpot questions seemed to be getting way too hard, or were immediately obviously not going to be won, whereas this way you get way more 'ins'. It also presumably increases the number of questions they can use. Will be interesting to see if it becomes less awkward after a few shows.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

WHat they didn't make clear (bearing in mind I was only half watching so might be wrong) was whether "the 100" is a single survey of all three questions or, presumably, three lots of people answering three questions separately.
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Difficult to say whether it's an improvement or not on the basis of one show, particularly since the contestants only gave answers from one sub-category anyway. I suspect the jackpot will be won more often this way, but it's hard to be sure.

But I'm still awestruck by the contestants on Wednesday's show who scored 0, 0 and 1 with their three answers on the plays of Henrik Ibsen. (Has anyone ever given three pointless answers, by the way?) It wouldn't have been quite so impressive if there'd been three playwrights to choose from.

Also, what did people think of the special 500th edition? Should there be more opportunities for the unlucky losers to come back like this?
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Well, on the basis of yesterday's programme I don't think I like the new final round format at all. First of all, I had difficulty remembering the sub-categories when the answers were displayed. And secondly, the first two sub-categories had only one pointless answer each, making them virtually impossible to get right. Perhaps this was done deliberately as the third sub-category (capital cities of NATO member states) had multiple pointless answers, but it strikes me as a bit of a tall order to expect contestants to guess which sub-category has the most pointless answers when choosing between them. It was unfortunate that the contestants chose no answers from that sub-category as they might well have won the jackpot by doing so.

Too confusing really, but maybe I'll get used to it...