1001 Things You Should Know

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Karen Pearson
Devotee

1001 Things You Should Know

Post by Karen Pearson »

It appears this is finally going to hit our screens next week. When I auditioned, we were told that it would be shown in the Countdown slot and assumed that it would be during the summer break. Looking at next week's TV schedules, it appears it IS going to be in the Countdown slot and that Countdown in moving to 2.30!!!

BTW, I am NOT going to be on this. I was selected but had to turn it down as I'd already agreed to be on another show. Are there any Countdowners on it?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: 1001 Things You Should Know

Post by James Robinson »

Karen Pearson wrote:It appears this is finally going to hit our screens next week. When I auditioned, we were told that it would be shown in the Countdown slot and assumed that it would be during the summer break. Looking at next week's TV schedules, it appears it IS going to be in the Countdown slot and that Countdown in moving to 2.30!!!

BTW, I am NOT going to be on this. I was selected but had to turn it down as I'd already agreed to be on another show. Are there any Countdowners on it?
Not that I've heard, although Rich told me that you got him an application form at least, but I don't think he got through either.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

I think there were only about 20 (easy) quiz questions asked in the entire programme. They should call it 20 Things Almost Everyone Knows.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It was rubbish. Won't be watching it again. And you say they were all easy, but some were much easier than others. In that last round yesterday, the first woman got asked what year was the Battle of Hastings followed by some easy follow-up that had the answer of the Bayeux Tapestry. Then the next woman was expected to know about the Profumo Affair (for her "easy" question) and then who the Prime Minister was at the time.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

It's OK, although I suppose the questions are on the level of Tipping Point, but at least we got to see Rachel on today's episode, albeit for about 10 seconds. :D
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall »

It seems an expensive addition to the schedule giving away £10k per week at a guess. I wouldn't think it is such a good show to draw in the extra viewers to warrant that.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

I find it hard to believe that there is such a tremendous market for people very slowly answering simple questions. Particularly as this was roughly the slot that used to get Fifteen to One.

I guess it proves the advertisers are aware that knowledgeable people don't buy their stuff. That's useful to know.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Finally seen this, agree it's just a boring, slow, not-very-difficult quiz. The 'hook' of "things you should know" just renders nearly half the questions pointles, and isn't interesting in itself. (I thought it was going to be cool things where people think "oh wow, how do I not know this?" but then it turns out it's actually surprisingly hard.) Having 'celebrities' to read the questions also seems a bit weird - does that really draw in enough viewers to justify what I assume is a non-trivial cost of getting them to do it?
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Saw an episode today, and I'm not a fan. First of all I don't like the look whatsover. I also find it a little stupid that you don't get money for the "things you should know" which I think had a certain range of difficulty (there was a question about an island that I've never even heard of today, and they base that as a thing you should know question, also a question about tea.) The format doesn't seem particularly consistent either, and how potentially you could have no reward for answering the most questions right (if you're going to do that at a minimum have something like a Jeopardy wagering system where how many questions you're answered or money you have won't guarantee you a win, but it gives you an advantage); or at least have the final round have questions with high enough money that it serves as an equalizer to the game. And it seems like they treat the bonus round as something insignificant compared to the rest of the game.

Side note: There was a contestant today called Catriona. Is that Catriona Cappleman of Countdown fame or just coincidence?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jordan F wrote:Side note: There was a contestant today called Catriona. Is that Catriona Cappleman of Countdown fame or just coincidence?
Just coincidence, I played against Catriona at CO:REA and she looks nothing like that. :)
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Bring back Fifteen to One.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Jojo Apollo wrote:Bring back Fifteen to One.
Seconded. Perhaps hosted by Sandi Toksvig.
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

This reminds me startlingly of most American game shows released in the last 5 years or so. Especially the "it doesn't matter how well you did for most of the show, only the last round matters at all whatsoever" part.

This is a very, very bad thing.
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Steve Balog wrote:Especially the "it doesn't matter how well you did for most of the show, only the last round matters at all whatsoever" part.

This is a very, very bad thing.
I blame Duffman
Sam Hodkin

Post by Sam Hodkin »

I agree on the last round, cost me dearly for those who watched the 7th episode of what will now be Series 1 [My 3rd and final appearance]. Buzzer-beaten on the final cash question thrown open and thus was pipped to the 1st place advantage by £1. That aside, it was a very fun show to do.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:
You might be in luck, as it looks like it might be returning, albeit with Adam Hills instead of William G. Stewart hosting.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/fift ... ck-2163383?
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

James Robinson wrote:
Rosemary Roberts wrote:
You might be in luck, as it looks like it might be returning, albeit with Adam Hills instead of William G. Stewart hosting.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/fift ... ck-2163383?
Thanks for the update, James. Interesting choice.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:

I apologize for bumping but...yeah, about that.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-12- ... -g-stewart
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Bumping is cool round here.
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

Excellent. I loved 15 to 1 almost as much as Countdown back in my student days. Bill McCaig's 433 was immense!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Great that it's coming back, but if they try to increase the chat/question one iota, I'll be pretty displeased.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

Ian Volante wrote:Great that it's coming back, but if they try to increase the chat/question one iota, I'll be pretty displeased.
Yes, the joy of it was getting 100 odd questions into 20 whatever minutes. They even introduced the contestants during the opening titles, no messing around, no banter, no colourful back stories.
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

"Great that it's coming back, but if they try to increase the chat/question one iota, I'll be pretty displeased."

judging from the audition, that's just what will happen... also too many questions about "reality TV" and celebs.

I thought I was rubbish but they invited me as an emergency contestant the day after they called me, which I had to decline as I was interviewing on the day in question. I commented that I was surprised to get the call after the deafening silence after the audition and they said "maybe our email went in the spam box".

or maybe you didn't send one.

I hope it's good - and I think Sandi T will be good, but there is no point having someone like that as presenter if you don't have chat.

Afterthought - at the audition we were expected to applaud wildly if someone got an answer right, or if their name were mentioned.