Tipping Point

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Karen Pearson
Devotee

Tipping Point

Post by Karen Pearson »

This new quiz show started today in The Chase time slot on ITV. Did anyone else see it? What did you think?

Personally, I think it could be made a little more exciting by changing the coins to different amounts or having them colour-coded to each player so that you run the risk of putting money into your opponents' pot, or having more challenging questions.

Surprised that it didn't seem to have a sponsor. Most tea time programmes seem to have one these days.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Re: Tipping Point

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

I thought it was really boring and nothing compared to other ITV tea time shows. Bring back Divided!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Thanks for the heads up, I'd completely missed this. Having now caught up I agree with Eoin*, it's spectacularly dull - you spend far too much time watching the slider moving back and forth and then nothing much happening. More generally it feels a bit like something you'd be more likely to see in a sketch show "Hey, you know those things you find in amusement arcades at seasides? How about a gameshow based on them?!". I like the idea of fiddling with the discs to make things more interesting, although I don't think that would save the format.

I quite enjoyed (but only in a so bad it's funny sense) the way they had clearly tried to come up with various jargon/catchphrases, such as describing certain discs as 'riding' or 'flippers'. My personal highlight was the host saying "I'm afraid we've found your tipping point" - you can't just pick a phrase that uses the show's name and think people won't notice it doesn't make any actual sense.

(I know it's kinda lame just to post a long list of criticisms about something, but I really can't think of any redeeming features. I suppose the set was quite nice? I really do wonder how you end up getting paid to design quiz shows, I'm pretty sure most of the people here with experience of a few programmes could come up with something better than this.)

Out of interest, did the losing contestants take home the money they'd bank thus far? I'd assumed they would but by the end of the show I couldn't remember if that actually happened.

*although not about Divided, I found that excruciating :P

Edit: Just been reading #tippingpoint on twitter. Ouch.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I hadn't heard of this until I saw a few people commenting on it and saying how shit it was - Ryan, Jason, and Jayne W. Doesn't even sound worth watching once.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

It was originally going to be called Cashcades. The name change to Tipping Point seems to have been made quite late on - that may be why no one had heard of it.

It reminded be a bit of The Fuse in terms of lacking energy and excitement. Hopefully it will improve.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:I hadn't heard of this until I saw a few people commenting on it and saying how shit it was - Ryan, Jason, and Jayne W. Doesn't even sound worth watching once.
This is the first I've heard about it. Personally I don't really watch TV quiz shows much any more so I'm out the loop with what is new and good or whatever.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Oh sorry, must have been someone else.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I came across it the other day. The crap they'll work into being a TV format astounds me.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

The Chase is a bit of a shit format as well though in't it?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:The Chase is a bit of a shit format as well though in't it?
No.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Gavin Chipper wrote:The Chase is a bit of a shit format as well though in't it?
Are you insane? It's one the best game shows ever. Tons of questions, some good banter and the final chase is usually hugely exciting. I just wish it didn't clash with Pointless as I feel Pointless is the better show to play along with.
kieranbray
Rookie

Post by kieranbray »

Am I the only person who thinks this programme is actually quite good? :roll:
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

kieranbray wrote:Am I the only person who thinks this programme is actually quite good? :roll:
No, I've seen some of it, and while it's slow in pace (although they defo tried to quicken it up between shows 1 & 2), the format is an intriguing and exciting one.

There do need to be some tweaks, obviously, but compared to some other shows, it's pretty decent. Not quite up there with Pointless or The Chase, but it gives it a go. :)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

James Robinson wrote:
kieranbray wrote:Am I the only person who thinks this programme is actually quite good? :roll:
No, I've seen some of it, and while it's slow in pace (although they defo tried to quicken it up between shows 1 & 2), the format is an intriguing and exciting one.

There do need to be some tweaks, obviously, but compared to some other shows, it's pretty decent. Not quite up there with Pointless or The Chase, but it gives it a go. :)
What do you think is the worst (current, or at least vaguely recent) quiz show? (I've deliberately said quiz rather than game show, since it's not fair to compare anything with some quiz element with stuff like Goldenballs.)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Michael Wallace wrote:
James Robinson wrote:

What do you think is the worst (current, or at least vaguely recent) quiz show? (I've deliberately said quiz rather than game show, since it's not fair to compare anything with some quiz element with stuff like Goldenballs.)
I think the worst was Cleverdicks on Sky Atlantic, which was almost hard to keep up with a lot of the time, and most of the questions were ridiculously hard, although you could argue that was part of the game. :P
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Am I losing it here, or was the answer "Five" given as a correct answer to the question, "How many suits are there in a standard pack of playing cards?" in today's show :?: :?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I agree with everyone who has said Tipping Point is a stinkbomb.

Here's hoping that Don't Blow the Inheritance with Tim Vine will be light years better and far and away the better of the two newest shows
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

By the way, why don't they just call it "The Plinko Quiz" and pay homage to Brucie?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

P.P.S. Eoin, I think Divided is canceled
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

James Robinson wrote:I think the worst was Cleverdicks on Sky Atlantic, which was almost hard to keep up with a lot of the time, and most of the questions were ridiculously hard, although you could argue that was part of the game. :P
I've finally watched a full episode of this now it's on Challenge, and I have to say I quite like it. Reasonably fast paced (once they're done with the introductions, although at least on the show I saw they were pretty hilarious thanks to Ann's inimitable presenting 'style'), and I quite like a slightly trickier quiz.

More on topic though: has anyone won the jackpot on Tipping Point yet?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Michael Wallace wrote:
James Robinson wrote:I think the worst was Cleverdicks on Sky Atlantic, which was almost hard to keep up with a lot of the time, and most of the questions were ridiculously hard, although you could argue that was part of the game. :P
I've finally watched a full episode of this now it's on Challenge, and I have to say I quite like it. Reasonably fast paced (once they're done with the introductions, although at least on the show I saw they were pretty hilarious thanks to Ann's inimitable presenting 'style'), and I quite like a slightly trickier quiz.

Yeah, it's been won 4 times. The most recent was on today's show, funnily enough. Though most people have taken home around £2,000 by chickening out of the gamble at the end. Actually, the only person who took up the gamble at the end went home penniless. :P
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Michael Wallace wrote:
I've finally watched a full episode of this now it's on Challenge, and I have to say I quite like it. Challenge TV picked up the rights to it already? Reasonably fast paced (once they're done with the introductions, although at least on the show I saw they were pretty hilarious thanks to Ann's inimitable presenting 'style'), and I quite like a slightly trickier quiz.

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Just seen my first episode and surprisingly got all but one of the questions. I think this quiz is at the other extreme from Cleverdicks - the questions are too easy.
cheers maus
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thomas Carey wrote:Just seen my first episode and surprisingly got all but one of the questions. I think this quiz is at the other extreme from Cleverdicks - the questions are too easy.
That makes sense
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

This is coming back for a second series, if anyone is interested.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Karen Pearson wrote:This is coming back for a second series, if anyone is interested.
Oh dear God.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I bought (for £1.49) the app for this game a few days ago, and I'm finding it quite addictive. The simulation of the machine itself is incredibly realistic and makes me wonder - do they actually model all the complicated physics involved, in real time, for every counter in the machine? Or do they use internal coding "cheats" (e.g. having a number of common patterns of moves pre-simulated, or ignoring counters furthest away from the current drop zone, or... something? Any thoughts/speculations/insider knowledge?