The Exit List

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

The Exit List

Post by Michael Wallace »

Anyone else been watching this? It's the new biggish budget show from ITV which they show on a Tuesday evening (I think that short-lived Jeremy Kyle experiment was in the same slot).

For the uninitiated, it's a fairly simple concept - a 'maze' of rooms with £££ in each one (which goes in your bank if you get a question right), and you have to remember the route you took - and all the answers to the questions - to get out with the money you bank. There are several nuances, with wrong answers putting all four options onto your list, and 'panic rooms' - five randomly distributed rooms where instead of a question you have to remember a bunch of stuff (e.g. footballers and their shirt numbers) with anything you forget getting turned into a string of letters/numbers which is (supposedly) harder to remember.

I had some misgivings at first, since it seemed a bit complicated for the sake of complication, but I think I've been won round. The set is pretty well done, Nick Allwright is a perfectly competent presenter, and the mix of questions and panic rooms, along with the playalong of remembering your own list (which you can keep track of pretty easily) is good fun. The only bit that really niggles is a thing they do at the end. One player leaves the mazes whilst the other will (eventually) have to remember the list to win their £££. But then the player that leaves is offered some amount (usually around a fifth of the banked cash) guaranteed, so if they don't think their partner will manage it they can get a guaranteed (albeit smaller) amount.

This feels like a fairly unnecessary way to add more tension at the end (presumably to anticipate people who are either so good/bad that it's obvious early on that they'll fail) but is additionally ruined by the fact the player who made the decision has to try and keep a straight face once their partner has finished their (successful or otherwise) escape from the maze. Suffice to say, it's pretty obvious when Joe Public is trying to disguise winning £100,000, so this bit ends up a little silly.

Still, overall pretty enjoyable, if a bit easy (although it's hard to imagine how much harder doing it for real must be), and makes me feel a bit annoyed for not filling in the application form I saw for a 'new gogglebox production' a few months ago.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Re: The Exit List

Post by Karen Pearson »

I've been watching it too. It has rather grown on me too - I also thought it was unnecessarily complicated at first but have got to grips with it now. We did apply for it but didn't get so much as a phone call! :-( Still, we'll try again for the next series if there is one.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:Nick Allwright is a perfectly competent presenter
I prefer that Matt Knowles who does Perfection. :roll:
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Nick Allwright is a perfectly competent presenter
I prefer that Matt Knowles who does Perfection. :roll:
Haha, clearly they are all merging into one super-being.