The Chase

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: The Chase

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ah right (wrt conservative players), figured it might have just been the ones I'd seen.

The thing about people on twitter being all "OMG SO STUPID" is great, particulary when it's clearly just someone wanking themselves off about knowing something rather than having thought if it's actually common knowledge.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Yea I don't think any team has a chance if The Chaser is getting them all right. I remember weeks ago watching Anne Hegerty losing when she had about 3 steps needed with a minute left, 'the team' is very much a secondary factor to The Chaser - they only have an input on the outcome if The Chaser allows them to. The typical target of 18-19 steps they'll get in barely over a minute if they're just reeling the answers off.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

What is the capital of Angola?

Pakistan.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Alan was on both Pointless and The Chase today. I find that weird.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jordan F wrote:Alan was on both Pointless and The Chase today. I find that weird.
It is really weird - especially as the application form AND audition stages for BOTH shows check and then re-check TV appearance information to make sure this sort of thing doesn't happen across the same week or two, let alone on the same day.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Jordan F wrote:Alan was on both Pointless and The Chase today. I find that weird.
You may know, but back on September 12 when Ryan was on the chase, his teammate Sharon was on Pointless at the same time too.
cheers maus
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Slightly weird question at the end of today's show:

In mathematics what is a 180 degree angle called?
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Craig Beevers wrote:Slightly weird question at the end of today's show:

In mathematics what is a 180 degree angle called?
I haven't seen it yet, but what's weird about it?

[EDIT: First it = "the show"; second it = "the question". Yay pronouns.]
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What was the answer - a straight line?
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Gavin Chipper wrote:What was the answer - a straight line?
Yea. But that's not the angle you're describing, you're describing the line. It's a sort of vague trick question, which is weird for this program. Anne got it wrong - went with one of the angle names (obtuse or something like that).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Craig Beevers wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:What was the answer - a straight line?
Yea.
Is that what he said? I would have answered "straight angle", that's what we called it at school. Acute < 90, right = 90, 90 < obtuse < 180, straight = 180, reflex > 180. Why is it a trick question?
Last edited by Jon Corby on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I expect "straight angle" would have been accepted without hesitation too.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:I expect "straight angle" would have been accepted without hesitation too.
It should have been given as the answer. I just don't understand where Craig's coming from with his 'trick question' angle (lol).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I expect "straight angle" would have been accepted without hesitation too.
It should have been given as the answer. I just don't understand where Craig's coming from with his 'trick question' angle (lol).
I expect it was THE answer. We'll never know as it wasn't passed (if it had been Bradley might have said "straight angle"). The contestant said "straight line" and if that was deemed to be good enough (which I think we're agreeing it is, yes?) then there is no possibility or need in a tightly timed format to confirm the actual expected wording.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
I expect it was THE answer. We'll never know as it wasn't passed (if it had been Bradley might have said "straight angle"). The contestant said "straight line" and if that was deemed to be good enough (which I think we're agreeing it is, yes?) then there is no possibility or need in a tightly timed format to confirm the actual expected wording.
He said someone got it wrong, didn't he?

Edit: ah wait, I think I understand what happened now - chaser got it wrong on the final chase, so contestant answered with 'straight line' and was marked correct? I suppose you could make a case that 'straight line' shouldn't have been accepted, but still - 'trick question'? wtf?
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

That was a funny moment today when Bradley was in hysterics when the option of twisted plums came up
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

David Barnard wrote:That was a funny moment today when Bradley was in hysterics when the option of twisted plums came up
Yeah, that was brilliantly funny. :lol:

Not quite up there with Fanny Schmelar, but it's still a brilliant thing to look at, probably will be on YouTube soon, no doubt.

By the way, what does everyone think of that woman who went with the -£5,000 offer in yesterday's show :?: Super cowardice. :x
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

James Robinson wrote:By the way, what does everyone think of that woman who went with the -£5,000 offer in yesterday's show :?: Super cowardice. :x
Didn't see it - what was the state of play?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Michael Wallace wrote:
James Robinson wrote:By the way, what does everyone think of that woman who went with the -£5,000 offer in yesterday's show :?: Super cowardice. :x
She was the last contestant (unsurprisingly).

The previous guy just put in £45,000, the other 2 had put in £10,000 between them, so £55k altogether. Her options were -£5k, £5k or £25k.

She chose -£5k and just got back. They lost easily in the end.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

James Robinson wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:

The previous guy just put in £45,000, the other 2 had put in £10,000 between them, so £55k altogether. Her options were -£5k, £5k or £25k.

Not much to say about what she did apart from one thing, milking your opponents success springs to mind
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

James Robinson wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:

Seems pretty reasonable to me, 12.5k instead of 15k isn't that big a loss.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote: Seems pretty reasonable to me, 12.5k instead of 15k isn't that big a loss.
Yep. Easy decision to make in my eyes. Definite drop.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Haven't really watched The Chase that much, but reading about the tactics of dropping above, do you think there is scope for tinkering with the game? Something like, in addition to the money, you'd also have a number of steps for the end game (basically it's just +1 for all at the moment, could the lower or higher monetary amounts also be worth more or less steps?) - or maybe you could purchase steps from your prize fund before the final chase?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:Haven't really watched The Chase that much, but reading about the tactics of dropping above, do you think there is scope for tinkering with the game? Something like, in addition to the money, you'd also have a number of steps for the end game (basically it's just +1 for all at the moment, could the lower or higher monetary amounts also be worth more or less steps?) - or maybe you could purchase steps from your prize fund before the final chase?
Good idea. Never thought of that. It would work good say to reduce the higher offer slightly but have a +1 (so 2 steps head start) if you get back Home. And then -1 step too. That definitely would discourage dropping down a lot more and increase risk taking too. The number of steps would be more of an incentive for me and would definitely deter me from dropping.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Steps in the final is a great idea, such a good idea I wouldn't be too surprised to see it introduced at some point. Can any regular viewers give rough estimates of how many people go low/high?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:Steps in the final is a great idea, such a good idea I wouldn't be too surprised to see it introduced at some point. Can any regular viewers give rough estimates of how many people go low/high?
Thanks. I thought of that with my brian.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon Corby wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Steps in the final is a great idea, such a good idea I wouldn't be too surprised to see it introduced at some point. Can any regular viewers give rough estimates of how many people go low/high?
Thanks. I thought of that with my brian.
Sorry, I meant the band Steps, your steps idea was idoitic.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk'll be thrilled.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

My first opponent on Countdown, Jeremy Baker, is on The Chase right now. Love him.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Ryan Taylor wrote:My first opponent on Countdown, Jeremy Baker, is on The Chase right now. Love him.
First one I've watched for quite a while and it was awesome! Jeremy was easily the best person on it, unlucky way to end :(
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:My first opponent on Countdown, Jeremy Baker, is on The Chase right now. Love him.
First one I've watched for quite a while and it was awesome! Jeremy was easily the best person on it, unlucky way to end :(
Yeah, definitely looked less like Michael Fish this time. Super unlucky to lose, defo deserved to win.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Just want to punch the people who want to 'get home' and go for the middle option which absolutely makes NO MATHEMATICAL SENSE WHATSOEVER.

Today's options for last guy were £40k, £1k and £-1k. Why the fuck would you go for £1k.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Craig Beevers wrote:Just want to punch the people who want to 'get home' and go for the middle option which absolutely makes NO MATHEMATICAL SENSE WHATSOEVER.
:?:
If you go for the higher offer, you run a higher risk of being caught by the Chaser and losing out on a chance to share in the final prize pot. It's not rocket science.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Craig Beevers wrote:Just want to punch the people who want to 'get home' and go for the middle option which absolutely makes NO MATHEMATICAL SENSE WHATSOEVER.
If you go for the higher offer, you run a higher risk of being caught by the Chaser and losing out on a chance to share in the final prize pot. It's not rocket science.
Also, are you just saying that because the gap between £-1k and £1k is tiny in comparison to the gap between £1k and £40k, so you might as well go for £-1k if you're not going for £40k? I'm not sure that makes logical sense. Someone might pick £1k over £-1k if the third option is £2k. If so, it would be illogical to pick £-1k if you increase the highest option. And the £40k might be too high a risk for them.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Also, are you just saying that because the gap between £-1k and £1k is tiny in comparison to the gap between £1k and £40k, so you might as well go for £-1k if you're not going for £40k? I'm not sure that makes logical sense. Someone might pick £1k over £-1k if the third option is £2k. If so, it would be illogical to pick £-1k if you increase the highest option. And the £40k might be too high a risk for them.
Of course it makes logical sense. I don't know what the odds are exactly of someone being caught, but I'd guess it is around 50-50 if you go for the middle option. Even if you're a good player there's a reasonable chance you'll get caught. Taking a step closer makes it fair bit easier to get home.

It's hard to think of a scenario where you'd favour a prize fund of £15,000 (£5,000 each) over £13,000 (£4,333 each) given the much greater chance you'll get caught and from the other players' point of view their chances of winning also go up with the much better possibility of an extra player.

Going for £15,000 instead of £54,000 just for an extra step also makes no sense whatsoever. I'd say most of those who get home do it with steps to spare. So conservatively speaking you're about half as likely to make it back for more than triple the money.

Whatever your attitude, ability or synergy with other contestants is you should either pick the -1k or the 40k. 2k makes a small percentage change to the prize fund. 40k makes a huge change.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Neil Sneddon from Series 58 on today's show. A very interesting final I thought, not spoiling it, but you should watch it. 8-)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Just occurred to me there's no announcement/reminder on here that Heather's on tonight. Obviously on Facebook, so this is really just a message for Phil.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I hope Rihanna watches and slags off her attractiveness.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Shame Heather is on the same team as a prick with a stupid moustache hogging all of the tweets. I found 3 tweets 2 of which refer to her being a TILF and the other one liking a griffin with a goose's head.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Shame Heather is on the same team as a prick with a stupid moustache hogging all of the tweets. I found 3 tweets 2 of which refer to her being a TILF and the other one liking a griffin with a goose's head.
OK I take back the prick comment as he's actually pretty funny. His moustache is still stupid though.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Great effort Heather.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:Just occurred to me there's no announcement/reminder on here that Heather's on tonight. Obviously on Facebook, so this is really just a message for Phil.
And me. I'm on Facebook, but I don't live my life on it, so this reminder served me well. Thanks!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Top performance from Heather I thought. Think she would have been better off in the final by herself, given the time wasted by having to buzz and passing. Did herself proud though, good banter, some really cracking answers too.

(This is how you chat up women, right?)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:Top performance from Heather I thought. Think she would have been better off in the final by herself, given the time wasted by having to buzz and passing. Did herself proud though, good banter, some really cracking answers too.

(This is how you chat up women, right?)
Yeah. I told Michelle she did really well on the show (even though she only managed a measly 4 wins). Worked for me.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

:-D

But seriously, well played Heather. Moustache guy was good to watch as well, but you did pretty much all the answering in the final round.

I think Michael has a point, that final round is probably just as difficult with two players as it is with one, maybe more so. Obviously with two players there's more chance one of you will know the answer to a question, but you lose a lot of time. If you're the only one there you can pass immediately if the question is something you've got no clue about, and if you know it you can answer without all that faffing about with the buzzer. You have to wait for your name to be announced too - as I recall, when Ryan was on he answered when someone else had buzzed first, and they disallowed it.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Just watched this - Heather seemed to take a while to warm up in the cash builder round but was absolutely stonking in the final, so well done. Paul's comment that if he won he'd "take this lass on holiday" came across as distinctly creepy I thought - I wonder if he's actually married, or whether his hasty postverb* about his "missus" was a bit of damage limitation.

* A word I just invented to mean the spoken equivalent of a postscript
Peter McNamara

Post by Peter McNamara »

More Celebrity programmes in the pipeline.

Recording at the ITV building on Upper Ground near Waterloo Station on 12, 13 and 14 May with sessions starting at 1.15pm and 5.45pm each day.

Applications for audience places through Lost In TV Audience Services ( www.lostintv.com ).
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

One of the questions today was "what is the collective term for a group of raccoons". I'm sure we could come up with some more entertaining suggestions than whatever the drearily forgettable answer given on the show was. (That sentence doesn't sound right but I'm too pissed to work out why.)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Hi James, is The Chase still on repeats or is it back to new episodes?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:Hi James, is The Chase still on repeats or is it back to new episodes?
Hey Matt, The Chase had a week of repeats 2 weeks ago, but they returned to new ones last week.

You must watch today's show :!: :!: :idea: 8-)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Gevin wrote:Does anyone ever win?
Yes, often enough. Roughly once a week someone wins. From what I can remember, in this series 15 out of 60 of the shows end up in a win for the contestant(s). Two people have won it individually too.
I've seen this a few times since these posts were made, and maybe I've been unlucky, but I've still yet to see anyone win. Normally it's not even remotely close.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
Gevin wrote:Does anyone ever win?
Yes, often enough. Roughly once a week someone wins. From what I can remember, in this series 15 out of 60 of the shows end up in a win for the contestant(s). Two people have won it individually too.
I've seen this a few times since these posts were made, and maybe I've been unlucky, but I've still yet to see anyone win. Normally it's not even remotely close.
Stop being lazy and annoying. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chase_%28game_show%29
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Nice little thing here about the next series of The Celebrity Chase, starting on August 18, if you don't want to click the link.

Our Rach is going to be one of the contestants, apparently. :D
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

James Robinson wrote:Our Rach is going to be one of the contestants, apparently. :D
She's fast becoming the new Carol Vorderman!
Michael Cullen

Post by Michael Cullen »

Matt Morrison wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Our Rach is going to be one of the contestants, apparently. :D
Is that good or bad?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Michael Cullen wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Is that good or bad?
UPDATE: Rach will be on The Celebrity Chase this Sunday at 7pm.
Also on her team will be Edwina Currie, Keith Duffy and Mark Charnock.

Don't believe me..........., look here. :ugeek:
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

And for all you game show fans out there, the regular version of The Chase returns to our screens tomorrow at 5pm, after the interesting 2 weeks of Tim Vine's Don't Blow The Inheritance.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

By the way, I saw a celebrity version of this the other day, and they all got knocked out, but were allowed one person back (Jimmy Carr) for the final chase with £20000 to play for. He was the final person to be knocked out and had taken a step forward to try and get £100,000 and lost. But had he not taken a step forward, he would only have been going for about £5000, so there was no advantage for him at all in "playing safe" and not taking a step forward. Silly game.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah the celebrity version can't be used to judge the show proper. Aside from getting the fall back £20k (rather than £4k) I have absolutely zero doubt the chasers throw a shit ton of questions.