Pointless Series 4

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Pointless Series 4

Post by Michael Wallace »

As much as I detest the whole "omg people are so thick" thing. bloody hell round one today.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:As much as I detest the whole "omg people are so thick" thing. bloody hell round one today.
I don't watch Pointless too often now but I think I genuinely saw the moment you're on about today when I flicked onto it randomly. It was at the point of eliminating the people and Alexander mentioned Peter Mandelson and Menzies Campbell as their answers to "Members of hte Coalition", right? I also do hate the "omg people are so thick" thing, simply because it can come back to bite you in the ass - the wonderful thing about general knowledge being the fact that what one person thinks is easy is in fact totally hard for somebody else. However, that does remind me of a great bit of TV (or maybe not great) that I saw the other night on 'Bullseye' on Challenge. It was on the Dave Spikey revival:

Dave Spikey: In what part of the body is the radius bone found?
Contestant 1: The ear.
Dave Spikey: Not the ear, we'll pass it on to [insert contestant name]
Contestant 2: The leg.
Dave Spikey: Ooo hard luck, it's not the leg. [Insert contestant name], for £21 can you tell me?
Contestant 3: Is it the back?
Dave Spikey: It's not the back. It's actually in your arm. Tough question, tough question...

I made the last option up because I couldn't remember what they actually said but what I thought was funny was how all of them were stumped by it. Simply amazing. :o
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:As much as I detest the whole "omg people are so thick" thing. bloody hell round one today.
I don't watch Pointless too often now but I think I genuinely saw the moment you're on about today when I flicked onto it randomly. It was at the point of eliminating the people and Alexander mentioned Peter Mandelson and Menzies Campbell as their answers to "Members of hte Coalition", right?
That's the one, although the round in general was pretty dire. 8 answers, 3 wrong, and the 5 they got were David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Theresa May, William Hague and Vince Cable (although to be fair the David Cameron was from someone who only needed to score <100 so that's not so bad). I do wonder when the polling was done though, since only 9 people being able to name the home and foreign secretaries seems a bit silly. Obviously I only have my own perception of what people should or shouldn't know, but it's not normally quite so far off. Liam Fox (who CF got despite paying approximately zero attention to current affairs) and Baroness Warsi were pretty shocking pointles, too.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Well you can call me "so thick" then. Not that I'd usually deny that tag anyway, but yeah I'm shit with politics. Heather had a choice of three pointless answers though, so we'd have made it through.

And I watched that Bullseye Ryan haha. Watching quite a bit of Bully at the moment. Jim looked like he was on drugs last night when they won the holiday.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:Well you can call me "so thick" then.
Yeah, I tend not to bother about applying that to an individual, because we all have blind spots (ESPECIALLY ME HAHAHAHA), it's more when you get a big group (be it a bunch of contestants, or the actual survey results themselves) where it's a bit :|
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

As much as I detest the whole "omg people are so thick" thing. bloody hell round two today.

(well, and elements of round one and the head to head too)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:As much as I detest the whole "omg people are so thick" thing. bloody hell round two today.

What was it this time? (Didn't see it)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:As much as I detest the whole "omg people are so thick" thing. bloody hell round two today.

What was it this time? (Didn't see it)
Round 2 was "countries in which these historical events happened", and the first set were Boer War, Storming of the Bastille, Pompeii destroyed by Vesuvius, Reign of Ferdinand and Isabella, Biafra declares independence and Jesse Owens wins Olympic gold medals. Player one took out storming of the Bastille, and player two then apparently didn't know any (but then managed to guess Ferdinand and Isabella because "they sound a bit Spanish"). On retrospect not the biggest omg ever, but pretty :| all the same.

Round 1 was possibly better, where it was multiple choice Peanuts characters, and the first guy up said he had no idea what Peanuts was, picked a name at random and it was pointles :lol:

(And the head to head lulz was "states with double letters" and one pair went for Dallas and the other Tallahasse.)

Basically I am turning into a boring old bastard. Young whippersnappers don't know anything, etc.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Re: Pointles Series 4

Post by Martin Bishop »

I was as amazed as you were. I thought, at the very least, people would have heard of Pompeii and not just from a Doctor Who episode. I learnt that in primary school.

Some of the scores are even worse. 9 people knowing William Hague was ridiculous. I was told by a friend recently that there was one episode where the question was 20th century British monarchs and Elizabeth II only got 48.

People know nothing.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

At the other end of the scale, that final round question was ridiculously tough. Directors General of the BBC since WWII... good luck with that.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Bob De Caux wrote:At the other end of the scale, that final round question was ridiculously tough. Directors General of the BBC since WWII... good luck with that.
lol, no one would win on that! Well, maybe Kevin Ashman.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Michael Wallace wrote:As much as I detest the whole "omg people are so thick" thing.
Me too. But both pairs naming US cities in the head-to-head when they were clearly asked for states was very depressing. How can anyone think Dallas is a state? I think they should have been made to carry on giving answers until one of them actually stumbled upon a correct answer!

Edit: But I was very pleased with myself for coming up with all four names for pedestrian crossings. I knew that having worked for a road safety charity would eventually come in useful for something!
Last edited by Karen Pearson on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Bob De Caux wrote:At the other end of the scale, that final round question was ridiculously tough. Directors General of the BBC since WWII... good luck with that.
Who could forget Marmaduke Hussey!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote:
Who indeed? He was never Director General though. The only one I'd have got is John Birt, possibly Greg Dyke. All the other contenders I could think of (Michael Grade, Alan Yentob, Michael Jackson (not that one) etc.) would have turned out to be wrong too.

I'd like to see the points breakdown for this list, mind, presumably most of the answers would be pointless?
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

There appear to be ten answers, but only five of them were pointless. Apart from Birt, Dyke and Thompson, I don't recognise them at all. Maybe some of the older contestants would have been better placed.

Think Hussey was Chairman, wasn't he?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Bob De Caux wrote:There appear to be ten answers, but only five of them were pointless. Apart from Birt, Dyke and Thompson, I don't recognise them at all. Maybe some of the older contestants would have been better placed.
Think Hussey was Chairman, wasn't he?
Yeah, I got the other 2 non-Pointlesses (Alasdair Milne & Michael Checkland), but certainly wouldn't have got any of the Pointlesses.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Aren't we all clever!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
Who indeed? He was never Director General though.

Ouch, that would have hurt.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ian Volante wrote:Ouch, that would have hurt.
I applaud, it shows that you just did it from your own head without even double-checking yourself, whereas others probably just Googled without even thinking to get the answers. You're my hero.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Ouch, that would have hurt.
I applaud, it shows that you just did it from your own head without even double-checking yourself, whereas others probably just Googled without even thinking to get the answers. You're my hero.
You're making me hard.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Although I recognised a few of the names, the only ones that occurred to me in the time were Birt and Reith (who I would have thought the only memorable one :o ).
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Why do thread titles lose bits sometimes; the final 's' in 'Pointless' in this case?
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Watching just now and the two young lads are thick as pig shit. "I can't even pronounce that one at the bottom [referring to lateral epicondylitis] but I think lateral might be arthritis because it comes on LATE in life". Holy cow. Astonishing.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

I shall enjoy watching that later while I have my dinner. I always enjoy medical-related stuff. Coincidentally, I am currently suffering from lateral epicondylitis - caused by badminton though.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Karen Pearson wrote:I shall enjoy watching that later while I have my dinner. I always enjoy medical-related stuff. Coincidentally, I am currently suffering from lateral epicondylitis - caused by badminton though.
Every single one of them is piss easy though which you will have heard time and time again. You don't even need to have studied anything medical to know them so don't build your hopes up too much as they won't challenge you!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Karen Pearson wrote: I am currently suffering from lateral epicondylitis - caused by badminton though.
That's what all the girls say.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote: I am currently suffering from lateral epicondylitis - caused by badminton though.

I think you may be referring to MEDIAL epicondylitis (where there is litle use of the extensor muscles). :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Karen Pearson wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:

I think you may be referring to MEDIAL epicondylitis (where there is litle use of the extensor muscles). :)
Haha, this is one of my favourite corrections to a joke ever.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Michael Wallace wrote: Basically I am turning into a boring old bastard. Young whippersnappers don't know anything, etc.
There's a theory that somewhere between the ages of 25 and 30 is the point where people stop trying to be different from their parents and start becoming their parents. So you're only a little ahead of the curve.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:I shall enjoy watching that later while I have my dinner. I always enjoy medical-related stuff. Coincidentally, I am currently suffering from lateral epicondylitis - caused by badminton though.
Every single one of them is piss easy though which you will have heard time and time again. You don't even need to have studied anything medical to know them so don't build your hopes up too much as they won't challenge you!
Not every one is as clever as you you shit. Mark me up for another tally in the dumb as fuck column
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Watching just now and the two young lads are thick as pig shit. "I can't even pronounce that one at the bottom [referring to lateral epicondylitis] but I think lateral might be arthritis because it comes on LATE in life". Holy cow. Astonishing.
They were just thinking outside the box, Ryan... wait, there's a word for that... erm, yes that's it! Latter thinking.

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
lol, no one would win on that!
Why? Anyone who watches the news semi-regularly will hear occasional references to the name of the current DG. Probably the most notorious recent incumbents have been John Birt and Greg Dyke, but going a little further back Ian Trethowan and Alasdair Milne spring to mind. Age probably plays a part here, as the latter two names are more well-known to me from Terry Wogan's regularly piss-taking during the original run of his Radio 2 breakfast show in the 70s and 80s. My best guess at a pointless answer, though, would probably be Hugh Carlton Greene. I haven't caught up with the last couple of episodes of Pointless yet so I don't know if any of those would have won.
Peter Mabey wrote:Although I recognised a few of the names, the only ones that occurred to me in the time were Birt and Reith (who I would have thought the only memorable one :o ).
Surely Reith was pre-war?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
Not every one is as clever as you you shit. Mark me up for another tally in the dumb as fuck column
I'm not clever and you're not dumb but I just thought they were pretty basic stuff. Probably that whole thing about what people think other people should know.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I only knew about half of them. I was still very disappointed that none of the contestants knew what hypertension was.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Martin Bishop wrote:I was still very disappointed that none of the contestants knew what hypertension was.
Dur! It's starting a 3-hour exam and being desperate for a wee.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Bob De Caux wrote:Directors General of the BBC since WWII... good luck with that.
Peter Mabey wrote:Although I recognised a few of the names, the only ones that occurred to me in the time were Birt and Reith (who I would have thought the only memorable one :o ).
Having now watched the show, the question was actually DGs since 1922 (not WWII) so Reith would have been correct, although not pointless. Hugh Carleton Greene and Ian Trethowan were both pointless answers though, so go me. :P
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Yes, he was so memorable that it was only when I looked him up that I found he'd gone at the beginning of the war, not the end :oops:
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Watching just now and the two young lads are thick as pig shit. "I can't even pronounce that one at the bottom [referring to lateral epicondylitis] but I think lateral might be arthritis because it comes on LATE in life". Holy cow. Astonishing.
I don't think he genuinely thought that - seemed to me like he just didn't have a clue and came up with a jokey justification for a desperate guess of an answer. But anyway it's a bit unfair to pig-shit them both with the same brush, as the other one seemed quite bright. And they were definitely two of the more likeable recent contestants.
Every single one of them is piss easy though which you will have heard time and time again.
Nope. :oops: Myopia, hypertension and rubella were three I knew, and I guessed correctly at a few of the others, but I don't recall ever hearing of lateral epicondylitis. (FYI, I believe the medical name for "piss easy" is "chronic incontinence" - I thank you.)

A final observation: watching this show while eating breakfast can be dangerous to your health. The guy that said "I suffer from the bottom one" made me inhale my porridge.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
I don't think he genuinely thought that - seemed to me like he just didn't have a clue and came up with a jokey justification for a desperate guess of an answer. But anyway it's a bit unfair to pig-shit them both with the same brush, as the other one seemed quite bright. And they were definitely two of the more likeable recent contestants.
I wouldn't be too sure I definitely think that he had some belief in his logic! But yeah they were likeable enough I agree.
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Every single one of them is piss easy though which you will have heard time and time again.
Nope. :oops: Myopia, hypertension and rubella were three I knew, and I guessed correctly at a few of the others, but I don't recall ever hearing of lateral epicondylitis. (FYI, I believe the medical name for "piss easy" is "chronic incontinence" - I thank you.)
On reflection, piss-easy was clearly a bit strong and liek said before it's the easy if you know it thing. Like if I was asked to name the Director Genrals![/quote]
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

The chunky guy and ginger girl on yesterday's show: please tell me someone else recognises them from something? It's fucking killing me, particularly (mainly) the guy. Godfuckingdamnit, where is he from? Argh.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:The chunky guy and ginger girl on yesterday's show: please tell me someone else recognises them from something? It's fucking killing me, particularly (mainly) the guy. Godfuckingdamnit, where is he from? Argh.
I'm trying to remember, but since the show is back on repeats (slightly bizarre since they were midway through a series), so I haven't been watching it, even though I probably should, I'm just waiting for that call or e-mail saying I've jumped from shortlist to recording studio. 8-)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

James Robinson wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:The chunky guy and ginger girl on yesterday's show: please tell me someone else recognises them from something? It's fucking killing me, particularly (mainly) the guy. Godfuckingdamnit, where is he from? Argh.
I'm trying to remember, but since the show is back on repeats (slightly bizarre since they were midway through a series), so I haven't been watching it, even though I probably should, I'm just waiting for that call or e-mail saying I've jumped from shortlist to recording studio. 8-)
Oh, if the shows on repeats then that probably explains it :) I had no idea they were doing that, bloody rascals.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

James Robinson wrote:I'm trying to remember, but since the show is back on repeats (slightly bizarre since they were midway through a series), so I haven't been watching it, even though I probably should, I'm just waiting for that call or e-mail saying I've jumped from shortlist to recording studio. 8-)
UPDATE: Just been told I might be needed for recording between Thursday and Saturday next week.

Is my bad luck about to end :?: :roll:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

James Robinson wrote:
James Robinson wrote:I'm trying to remember, but since the show is back on repeats (slightly bizarre since they were midway through a series), so I haven't been watching it, even though I probably should, I'm just waiting for that call or e-mail saying I've jumped from shortlist to recording studio. 8-)
UPDATE: Just been told I might be needed for recording between Thursday and Saturday next week.

Is my bad luck about to end :?: :roll:
Good luck, James! Make sure to revise this important material.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

BREAKING NEWS:

The J-Master IS recording Pointless on Thursday :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

James Robinson wrote:BREAKING NEWS:

It goes without saying but genuinely good luck, James! Make sure you get to the head to head on the first show but don't win and then go and win it the next show so that we get maximum Jambo-ness.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:

It goes without saying but genuinely good luck, James! Make sure you get to the head to head on the first show but don't win and then go and win it the next show so that we get maximum Jambo-ness.
I think you'll find this is known as the Raccoon/CF shuffle.

(Except for the actually winning it part :()
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Yes! I actually wish I could come to the recording. Any idea on transmission dates?
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Best of luck, James! Although the show seems a bit of a futile pursuit to me... (unlike Countdown)

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Charlie Reams wrote:

Yes! I actually wish I could come to the recording. Any idea on transmission dates?
Based on what they were suggesting at the audition, and the fact that they've already done quite a few last week, probably late September/early October time.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Good luck James!

(Try not to look too downcast though, seeing as Bompey will have dumped Huddersfield out of the play-offs the previous night.)
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Good luck James!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Is there audience tickets young Robinson? I'll come. (urgh.)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:Is there audience tickets young Robinson? I'll come. (urgh.)
As far as I'm aware, there are, just get them quick. :D
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:Is there audience tickets young Robinson? I'll come. (urgh.)
You can get them from here, it seems, and I can't imagine you'll have trouble - I'm on the mailing list and they've started resorting to things like "if you come to a pointles recording you can get priority tickets for something good".
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Cheers for that MW. Signed up and that.

James - when are you recording? There are two sessions - 13:15 start for two show recordings, and 18:30 for one show.
Only tickets left for the afternoon, obviously 2/3 chance that covers you but checking to be safe...
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:Cheers for that MW. Signed up and that.

James - when are you recording? There are two sessions - 13:15 start for two show recordings, and 18:30 for one show.
Only tickets left for the afternoon, obviously 2/3 chance that covers you but checking to be safe...
I actually haven't been told, sorry.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

James Robinson wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:when are you recording? There are two sessions - 13:15 start for two show recordings, and 18:30 for one show.
Arse. Chances are they'll take your phone away pretty early, but if you do get told as soon as you show up tonight or in the morning, give me or Heather a text.
If there are still tickets available now, they'll probably be available in the morning too (assuming you just gotta print them out).
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:when are you recording? There are two sessions - 13:15 start for two show recordings, and 18:30 for one show.
Arse. Chances are they'll take your phone away pretty early, but if you do get told as soon as you show up tonight or in the morning, give me or Heather a text.
If there are still tickets available now, they'll probably be available in the morning too (assuming you just gotta print them out).
We never had our phones taken away, and generally they can't predict too well until the day (we spent an entire day at the studios without recording because of how things worked out).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Arse. Chances are they'll take your phone away pretty early, but if you do get told as soon as you show up tonight or in the morning, give me or Heather a text.
We never had our phones taken away, and generally they can't predict too well until the day (we spent an entire day at the studios without recording because of how things worked out).
Unarse followed by an additional Arse.