Only Connect

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: Only Connect

Post by Marc Meakin »

Easiest walls for a long time.
But well done both teams
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Well done indeed, and particularly to the Verbivores (Graeme Cole, Tom Cappleman, Phyl Styles) for winning the whole series!* I do think it's slightly odd that you get timed out if you don't buzz in time in round 1. Basically you're just buzzing to buy a bit of extra time for your guess anyway. Given that everyone would do this, they might as well take a non-buzz as an assumed buzz at the end of the time.

*This is a spoilers thread. You wouldn't come in here if you hadn't seen the programme.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Yay, well done to Graeme, Phyl and Tom! Superb quizzing :)
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

MR KLWSF RNC SBKWL
YLNSN BYVL RDM S
ST VCR MNT LMNT SH
LRRNG NZ BDBB

Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

1) Mark Lewis-Francis Obikwelu
2) Yelena Isinbayevalerie Adams
3) Steve Cramantle Montsho
4) Lorraine Ugenzebe Dibaba
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Matt Bayfield wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:44 pm 1) Mark Lewis-Francis Obikwelu
2) Yelena Isinbayevalerie Adams
3) Steve Cramantle Montsho
4) Lorraine Ugenzebe Dibaba
Correct! Francis Obikwelu was pervading my consciousness this morning for some reason so I decided to incorporate his name into a quiz.

Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Just when I thought I had worked out how the Only Connect heats system works, it throws a complete curveball.

Surely tonight's game should have been between the Dicers and the Forrests, both of whom won their opening games? What does the withdrawal of the Dragons have to do with it? The Dragons shouldn't have been playing until the next section, where all the 1-1 teams play off for a quarter final place (based on my understanding of how I thought this worked).

It would make much more sense if it was the Forrests who had withdrawn. But now the Brews have played 3 games, lost them all, and STILL aren't eliminated (capitals for emphasis, not impotent armchair rage. Though I admit I'm not happy).
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Fred Mumford wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:02 pm Just when I thought I had worked out how the Only Connect heats system works, it throws a complete curveball.

Surely tonight's game should have been between the Dicers and the Forrests, both of whom won their opening games? What does the withdrawal of the Dragons have to do with it? The Dragons shouldn't have been playing until the next section, where all the 1-1 teams play off for a quarter final place (based on my understanding of how I thought this worked).

It would make much more sense if it was the Forrests who had withdrawn. But now the Brews have played 3 games, lost them all, and STILL aren't eliminated (capitals for emphasis, not impotent armchair rage. Though I admit I'm not happy).
The first eight matches were between the 16 teams in the series. The eight losers played each other in four other matches (the "second chance saloon"?), the losers of which went out (this included the Brews), and the winners of which (including the Dragons) were to join the eight first round winners in the second round, which is the round being played at the moment. Tonight's episode was the third game in the second round.

But the Dragons withdrew, so they needed to be replaced. Of the four losers in the second chance saloon, the Brews lost with the highest score (26). In fact you don't even have to limit this choice to those four losing teams - the Brews' score of 26 is the highest losing score of the series so far.

I don't think there's any requirement that in the second round, the first-round winners have to play each other rather than the winners of the saloon round - why would there be?
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Based on what has happened so far, I think it works like this:-

16 teams, so 8 games in the "heats" round. Following this we have 8 winners (1-0) and 8 losers (0-1).

Next stage is the "losers" round - win this and you're at 1-1 and survive, lose and you're 0-2 and BFH as Jim Bowen would say.

Then all the first round winners play each other. Win this and you go straight to the quarter finals with a 2-0 record. Lose it and you go to 1-1 and survive.

So now we have 4 quarter finalists (2-0), 4 eliminated teams (0-2), and 8 teams sitting on (1-1). These eight teams presumably then play off to join the 2-0 teams in the quarter finals.

But that's getting ahead of ourselves, we are still at the stage of all the first round winners playing each other. It all made sense until last night.
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Fred Mumford wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:12 am Based on what has happened so far, I think it works like this:-

16 teams, so 8 games in the "heats" round. Following this we have 8 winners (1-0) and 8 losers (0-1).

Next stage is the "losers" round - win this and you're at 1-1 and survive, lose and you're 0-2 and BFH as Jim Bowen would say.

Then all the first round winners play each other. Win this and you go straight to the quarter finals with a 2-0 record. Lose it and you go to 1-1 and survive.

So now we have 4 quarter finalists (2-0), 4 eliminated teams (0-2), and 8 teams sitting on (1-1). These eight teams presumably then play off to join the 2-0 teams in the quarter finals.

But that's getting ahead of ourselves, we are still at the stage of all the first round winners playing each other. It all made sense until last night.
Yeah, this was my understanding too. This would be basically be 2 lots of the UC quarter final format in parallel. If you don't match up teams with the same number of wins and losses then you can't guarantee how many wins and losses the winner and loser will have. For example, if the Dragons had been in that match and lost they'd then be going out with 3 losses if they lost their next as well, whereas the Dicers would go out with only 2 losses.

I suspect what happened here is that when they needed to make a sudden replacement this was the easiest way to schedule it. Sucks for the Forrests though, as they could now go out with only 1 loss (or potentially another team, if there's been even more shuffling).
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Hello
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Andy Platt wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:08 pmHello
Good to see the tradition of Apterite teams being upheld.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

This may be addressed elsewhere, but I'm too lazy to check:

When is Only Connect filmed?

More specifically - is it ever filmed in the summer, so someone with (amazing, but) inflexible work holidays (like a teacher) could take part?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Noel Mc wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:46 pm This may be addressed elsewhere, but I'm too lazy to check:

More specifically - is it ever filmed in the summer, so someone with (amazing, but) inflexible work holidays (like a teacher) could take part?
Cardiff, around March-May time.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Noel Mc wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:46 pm This may be addressed elsewhere, but I'm too lazy to check:

Many of the episodes are filmed at weekends or during Easter holidays, so in the year that I was on a team, the production team were able to offer us a route through the competition which enabled the schoolteacher on our team to take part without having to take any time off school, even if we had progressed as far as the final (which we didn't).

This isn't possible in every series, but the production team are very understanding people who will do anything they reasonably can to accommodate availability constraints, as long as you are open about these in advance.
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

Matt Bayfield wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:49 pm

Many of the episodes are filmed at weekends or during Easter holidays, so in the year that I was on a team, the production team were able to offer us a route through the competition which enabled the schoolteacher on our team to take part without having to take any time off school, even if we had progressed as far as the final (which we didn't).

This isn't possible in every series, but the production team are very understanding people who will do anything they reasonably can to accommodate availability constraints, as long as you are open about these in advance.
Ah super, cheers Matt, that's the comprehensive response I was holding for :)
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Great R2 question tonight, which most members of this forum should get.

(Highlight to reveal)
5 | Exact // 10 points
3 | 1-5 away // 7 points
2 | 6-10 away // 5 points
1 | ?

Answer: 11 or more away // 0 points
(Countdown numbers game)
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:09 am SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

(Highlight to reveal)
5 | Exact // 10 points
3 | 1-5 away // 7 points
2 | 6-10 away // 5 points
1 | ?

Answer: 11 or more away // 0 points
(Countdown numbers game)
And none of them seem to know Countdown existed!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:09 am
Even easier when posted on a Countdown forum! (But yes, it would have been easy for anyone into Countdown anyway.)
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Creator of this wonderful show, Chris Stuart, has sadly passed away today. RIP
Series 78 Runner-up
Jack Neal
Rookie

Post by Jack Neal »

Philip A wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:24 pm Creator of this wonderful show, Chris Stuart, has sadly passed away today. RIP
RIP
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Alex Hardwick.
Love him or hate him?.
Looking forward to Mondays final but one contestant is dividing the public.
I found his flirting with an opponent in an earlier round cringey but otherwise he is a good player if eccentric.
My family however can't stand him
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:43 am Alex Hardwick.
Love him or hate him?.
I found his flirting with an opponent in an earlier round cringey but otherwise he is a good player if eccentric.
His/her/their mimes after selecting a symbol is up there with Countdown contestants who dance along to the music in the cringe stakes, but otherwise I have no issue at all. There have certainly been far more annoying contestants in recent series.

I like "Dennis" - just known by one name, like Madonna, Pele or McLovin.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Love him or hate him?.
I know her and Elia fairly well from uni, they're great people (even if they keep getting on all the quiz shows over me :D )
cheers maus
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Thomas Carey wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:29 am
Love him or hate him?.
I know her and Elia fairly well from uni, they're great people (even if they keep getting on all the quiz shows over me :D )
And Dennis knocked me out of University Challenge. Interestingly, Dennis was actually his surname, making him presumably the only person to have the same name label on UC and OC.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Objectively annoying. It's not a question.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Love him or hate him?.
I'm sure you wouldn't deliberately misgender someone, but her pronouns are she/her. So now you know.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Honestly don't care about how they act, they're a good person in both trivia and quirks. In fact when the turmoil began, I didn't even KNOW she was trans. Thought that was nice, and the fact someone had the balls to name themselves Dennis in the show was killer; filled some wrestling vibes in and gave the team some toughness. Overall when it comes to the debate of them I don't give any fucks about what Twitter says. I just think they're a really smart team.
One of da 'Muricans
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Graeme Cole wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:00 pm
Love him or hate him?.
I'm sure you wouldn't deliberately misgender someone, but her pronouns are she/her. So now you know.
No that was clumsy rather than deliberately provocative.
I should have said love them or hate them, until corrected
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Yeah, I mean it doesn't matter in the general scheme of things but Alex must be fine with knowing that some people will find some of the stuff annoying. Though I can quite imagine some people on Twitter go over the top about it.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Extremely annoying, but that annoyance is completely offset (and more) by the joy I get from the fact that she will totally enrage some absolute pricks. Elia is one of my fave contestants of all time. They're a great team.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Yeah the mimey thing is mildly irritating but there's been some proper nasty stuff on twitter. Completely unwarranted.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fiona T wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:44 am Yeah the mimey thing is mildly irritating but there's been some proper nasty stuff on twitter. Completely unwarranted.
I don't do twatter but have seen a lot of nasty stuff about Alex
My OP was generally about the Marmite quality Alex has and how many of my work colleagues and family don't like her.
Interesting also, I get the same divisive Ness about Sam Smith but I like them a lot as his singing voice trumps everything else
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:15 pm I should have said love them or hate them, until corrected
We all make assumptions about people's gender 100s times a week - I don't think we've got to the stage where we refer to everyone in a neutral way until advised otherwise.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Fiona T wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:54 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:15 pm I should have said love them or hate them, until corrected
We all make assumptions about people's gender 100s times a week - I don't think we've got to the stage where we refer to everyone in a neutral way until advised otherwise.
I'm starting to get pronounaphobia as I'm loathe to offend.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Magnaminous in defeat, not.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Great final.
Missing words round was awesome.
The Dick Fosbury question was eerie as his death was posted on social media virtually the same time
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

The Crustaceans were unique in their own way, but didn't take a disliking to them. Always good to see diversity on TV.

However, I was glad that the Strigiformes won, purely because I will root for any team that doesn't pronounce the "horned" in "horned viper" as "horn-ed". It's a pernickety pet peeve of mine when watching the show :lol:
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Tom S wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:17 pm The Crustaceans were unique in their own way, but didn't take a disliking to them. Always good to see diversity on TV.

However, I was glad that the Strigiformes won, purely because I will root for any team that doesn't pronounce the "horned" in "horned viper" as "horn-ed". It's a pernickety pet peeve of mine when watching the show :lol:
I tend to go against teams that put there opponents in first as The Crustaceans did, though initially it seemed to pay off
dan spinks

Post by dan spinks »

Hurrah it's back, but something seemed off in the first episode

Did anyone else feel like there was a massive disparity in the difficulty levels of the 2 walls last night

The 2nd one was your standard, run of the mill, easy round one jobby whereas the first one felt more like it was from a semi final. It seemed to kill the episode as a contest when the team who were already trailing then got that stinker
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

dan spinks wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:45 pm Hurrah it's back, but something seemed off in the first episode

Did anyone else feel like there was a massive disparity in the difficulty levels of the 2 walls last night

The 2nd one was your standard, run of the mill, easy round one jobby whereas the first one felt more like it was from a semi final. It seemed to kill the episode as a contest when the team who were already trailing then got that stinker
Yeah we found the 2nd wall much easier
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Yeah the Richard E Grant one was a stinker, though as a cinefile I did get it in the end
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

John Clarke's on OC! Not a sight I thought I'd see
One of da 'Muricans
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

He was also on 15-1 within the past ten years
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Post by Ronan M Higginson »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:09 pm He was also on 15-1 within the past ten years
Yep, 2018
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Andres Sanchez wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:08 pm John Clarke's on OC! Not a sight I thought I'd see
He was my first Countdown champion. I thought he was really good and then when it came to the CoC he was up against some guy called Harvey Freeman. I think that CoC marked a high point of Countdown that wouldn't be matched until CoC XI in 2003 with the likes of Fell/Wills/Nash/Hargreaves.
Andres Sanchez
Enthusiast

Post by Andres Sanchez »

Speaking of people on OC, my buddy Sam Haywood (Series 87 contestant) will be on tonight!
One of da 'Muricans
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Why is VCM being so unkind to Roald Dahl
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:24 pm Why is VCM being so unkind to Roald Dahl
Was an ardent anti=Semite,wasn't he ?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

samir pilica wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:57 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:24 pm Why is VCM being so unkind to Roald Dahl
Was an ardent anti=Semite,wasn't he ?
It would appear so from what I have since read along with Dickens and probably Shakespeare