Who Dares Wins Series 4

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Karen Pearson
Devotee

Who Dares Wins Series 4

Post by Karen Pearson »

Has anybody applied for this and actually got an audition? I know a couple of people (as well as myself) who have applied and not heard a thing so far. Given they are supposed to be starting filming on 13th November, I'd have expected the auditions to be well under way! So, I'm not sure whether I should start sulking yet or not!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Who Dares Wins Series 4

Post by Michael Wallace »

Hadn't even heard they wanted contestants, which is a bit annoying since this is totally up our street(s). Are you on any good mailing lists for these things?
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Sorry Michael, I should have let you know. I'm not on any mailing lists but I've been checking the 12 Yard site about once a week for ages (God, what a saddo!) but I actually heard about it from Wendy who I was on the Chase with.

Applications are open until 5th November officially. Normally, their deadlines are well passed the audition dates but, as I mentioned above, I can't find anyone who knows if the auditions have started.

If they really are filming on 13th, it's not going to give much revision time!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

I applied last week, but have heard nothing as well. :roll:

Same old story for me it seems. :roll: :roll:
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Karen Pearson wrote:Applications are open until 5th November officially. Normally, their deadlines are well passed the audition dates but, as I mentioned above, I can't find anyone who knows if the auditions have started.

If they really are filming on 13th, it's not going to give much revision time!
Interesting - I vaguely remember when we were auditioning for Pointless the deadline for applications on their website was beyond the date by which they'd done all of their auditions and let everyone know if they were on, which seemed a bit off.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

James Robinson wrote:I applied last week, but have heard nothing as well. :roll:

Good luck James!
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
James Robinson wrote:I applied last week, but have heard nothing as well. :roll:

Good luck James!
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I was going to apply for it, but then got a couple of job interviews, which diverted my attention to other matters. I didn't want to be invited to a second interview and then have to say "Sorry, I've got an audition that day for a Saturday night list-based quiz show".
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Probably been said plenty of times before but it's fucking annoying the way they flash up the answers for half a millisecond and then show Nick Knowles speaking for 20-30 seconds, because we've obviously forgotten what he looked like.

Anyone know a website where they list all the answers so people can actually look at them properly?

Liked that Arnie question, I had another half a dozen or so to the answers given... probably tells you something about my film taste.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Did anyone see last night's? The first money ladder question was The Top 20 Classic Authors Most Borrowed from UK Libraries in 2008. This was clarified as authors whose works were published between the 16th and 20th centuries inclusive.

I think this was very misleading as no definition was given to the word 'classic'. The current champions lost the money when they went for JK Rowling. On the basis of the question, we'd have had her in there too along with James Patterson (who seems to top the Most Borrowed list on a regular basis IIRC).

When they showed the possible answers, they appear to be all authors whose works are out of copyright. So, the 20th century ones included Neville Shute and Roald Dahl.

Is it just me or was the question misleading? Or am I just really thick in terms of not knowing the official definition of 'Classic'?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Karen Pearson wrote:Did anyone see last night's? The first money ladder question was The Top 20 Classic Authors Most Borrowed from UK Libraries in 2008. This was clarified as authors whose works were published between the 16th and 20th centuries inclusive.

I think this was very misleading as no definition was given to the word 'classic'. The current champions lost the money when they went for JK Rowling. On the basis of the question, we'd have had her in there too along with James Patterson (who seems to top the Most Borrowed list on a regular basis IIRC).

When they showed the possible answers, they appear to be all authors whose works are out of copyright. So, the 20th century ones included Neville Shute and Roald Dahl.

Is it just me or was the question misleading? Or am I just really thick in terms of not knowing the official definition of 'Classic'?
I've never heard of a strict definition of 'classic', although presumably it's possible that JK Rowling just isn't popular enough - only the first three came out in the 20th century which is going to limit things a lot.

As a rule I hate the "top n" questions on that show, because you're basically having to guess when it's a case of all or nothing. If it was the regular round I'd be desperate not to play it, and if it was the jackpot I'd probably just get to three and stop.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Karen Pearson wrote:When they showed the possible answers, they appear to be all authors whose works are out of copyright. So, the 20th century ones included Neville Shute and Roald Dahl.
'Dead' doesn't equate to 'out of copyright'.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:When they showed the possible answers, they appear to be all authors whose works are out of copyright. So, the 20th century ones included Neville Shute and Roald Dahl.
I was making an assumption that copyright lasted for 50 years from publication (and all had works published before 1958 I think) but, having checked it, it appears that copyright lasts for 70 years after death. So, now I have even less idea how they determine if something is 'classic'.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Karen Pearson wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
I was making an assumption that copyright lasted for 50 years from publication (and all had works published before 1958 I think) but, having checked it, it appears that copyright lasts for 70 years after death. So, now I have even less idea how they determine if something is 'classic'.
Why can't it just be their definition of books published between the 16th and 20th centuries? Just because of a surprising omission?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Yeah I saw that and I was flummoxed by it too.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Karen Pearson wrote:This was clarified as authors whose works were published between the 16th and 20th centuries inclusive.
If this was stated then surely that eliminates JK Rowling since she had 3 of her works published in the 20th century but she still continues to produce works beyond the 20th century. So basically anybody who lived and wrote all their works between 1500-1999 is eligible for this question and since JK Rowling is not then she can't possibly be a valid answer. Or am I missing something?
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Karen Pearson wrote:Did anyone see last night's? The first money ladder question was The Top 20 Classic Authors Most Borrowed from UK Libraries in 2008. This was clarified as authors whose works were published between the 16th and 20th centuries inclusive.

It's pretty subjective really. I don't know of any definitive :roll: definition of "classic", but in this context at least I wouldn't have thought of Rowling or Patterson as classic. To complicate things even further , I would say that Tolkein is but Rowling isn't, even though their books are broadly similar in theme.Even within genres it can be confusing. Chandler and Hammett? Classic. Hadley Chase and Ambler? Not. Also, it's confusing in the sense that an author may have one book which would be considered a classic, while the remainder of his work is pretty rubbish.(Joseph Hellers' Catch 22 would be a good example).
Looking through a list of 20th century authors these are a few I would consider as "classic": Kipling, HG Wells, Shaw, Conan Doyle, Scott Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Greene, Orwell, Steinbeck, Waugh, Mailer, Golding, Kingsley Amis (in my teens I read a lot, which explains why there are fewer more recent entries). Dahl wouldn't have made my list either,but I would have included Shute for On The Beach alone. I suppose it is really a matter of personal opinion.
Last edited by Liam Tiernan on Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:Why can't it just be their definition of books published between the 16th and 20th centuries? Just because of a surprising omission?
Yeah, I was going to say something along those lines. Bear in mind that, popular as she may be, Rowling has really only written a handful of books (most of which have been published in the 21st century so presumably didn't count in this survey), whereas both Nevil Shute and Roald Dahl were far more prolific anyway and therefore provide library-goers with many more borrowing opportunities.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

http://www.plr.uk.com/mediaCentre/mostB ... uthors.pdf

This is the list of most borrowed authors 2007-2008. And, if you page down, you can see the list of most borrowed classic authors. It does look as though it IS authors who did not publish anything after the end of the 20th century (although the question did state 'whose work was FIRST published between the 16th and the 20th century inclusive'). I know that on the programme they usually give a fuller explanation but I suspect they didn't on this occasion because Euan went for JK Rowling (and he's very good so I don't think he'd make the mistake of thinking everything she had published was before the end of the last century). But, to be fair, she wasn't on the general Most Borrowed list anyway.

Anyway, the point I was making was that it was confusing and I think the responses here support that!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Karen Pearson wrote:although the question did state 'whose work was FIRST published between the 16th and the 20th century inclusive
You didn't mention this in your earlier post! And yeah it's not unreasonable that JK Rowling wasn't in it in 2008 since most people who wanted to read the first three Harry Potter books (the ones that were published pre-2000) will have either a) bought them b) read them pre-2008 c) decided not to bother with the whole Harry Potter craze.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:although the question did state 'whose work was FIRST published between the 16th and the 20th century inclusive
You didn't mention this in your earlier post!
That's because I didn't recall that bit! And I just watched it back and picked up on it then.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Karen Pearson wrote:It does look as though it IS authors who did not publish anything after the end of the 20th century (although the question did state 'whose work was FIRST published between the 16th and the 20th century inclusive').
I still don't see the evidence for this, although I'm tempted to email PLR to get a definitive response :P (I would agree that the show wasn't clear if the list doesn't include authors who have published in the 21st century, but if that isn't the case then I think it was fine.)
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

I did email them and this is what they said...

'There is no strict definition to be included in our list of most borrowed classic authors, some authors such as Enid Blyton are there because of the BIC (Book Industry Communications) subject categories and others as they are known as `classic’ authors. The list is not static and over the years authors have been added. We look at about 50 authors who we have judged to be classic authors and publish the top 20 as part of our annual media release.'

I think the general upshot is that this was a category you wanted the other team to play!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Karen Pearson wrote:I did email them and this is what they said...

'There is no strict definition to be included in our list of most borrowed classic authors, some authors such as Enid Blyton are there because of the BIC (Book Industry Communications) subject categories and others as they are known as `classic’ authors. The list is not static and over the years authors have been added. We look at about 50 authors who we have judged to be classic authors and publish the top 20 as part of our annual media release.'

I think the general upshot is that this was a category you wanted the other team to play!
Christ yeah, that's ludicrous.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jackpot question of "countries with blue on their national flag" and the champions stop at 6?! Sickening :evil:
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Michael Wallace wrote:Jackpot question of "countries with blue on their national flag" and the champions stop at 6?! Sickening :evil:
I couldn't agree more. I was thinking it's a definite £50k in the bank.

Poor! Very poor!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Karen Pearson wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Jackpot question of "countries with blue on their national flag" and the champions stop at 6?! Sickening :evil:

Poor! Very poor!
And also just got around to watching it now. Stopping at 10k geees. There was so many to choose from and even if they didn't know it's the type of category they could have had a little guess at since I imagine blue is possibly the 2nd most common colour used in flags. I didn't fancy the other jackpot question of Nicole Kidman films though, I think I would have struggled to name 3.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:

Poor! Very poor!
And also just got around to watching it now. Stopping at 10k geees. There was so many to choose from and even if they didn't know it's the type of category they could have had a little guess at since I imagine blue is possibly the 2nd most common colour used in flags. I didn't fancy the other jackpot question of Nicole Kidman films though, I think I would have struggled to name 3.
Same here. It's a total doddle to name 9 countries without thinking too hard. If there's two of you and you're into quizzes then you should be nailing 15 no problem.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I was quite impressed with how the guy rattled off I think 25(?) London Underground stations in Zone 1 but then he might have been from London and so I guess it might be easy to know it well? Anyone else from London think that that was a piss easy question and anyone from outside of London (like me) think it you would have struggled?
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I was quite impressed with how the guy rattled off I think 25(?) London Underground stations in Zone 1 but then he might have been from London and so I guess it might be easy to know it well? Anyone else from London think that that was a piss easy question and anyone from outside of London (like me) think it you would have struggled?
Questions like that really piss me off. So many of them in all of these game shows. The rest of the country does not revolve around your overgrown city or that shithole underground 'network'. They'd never ask for a list of stations for the Newcastle Metro.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:I was quite impressed with how the guy rattled off I think 25(?) London Underground stations in Zone 1 but then he might have been from London and so I guess it might be easy to know it well? Anyone else from London think that that was a piss easy question and anyone from outside of London (like me) think it you would have struggled?
Piss easy if you live in London. I barely go out and could have had 40+ comfortably. This was a jackpot question on pointles a while back, and I remember it being hilariously easy to win the money on that as well. Although obviously if you're not from London it's going to be a lot harder.
Craig Beevers wrote:They'd never ask for a list of stations for the Newcastle Metro.
Haha. Daily ridership of the London Underground: 2,930,000. Daily ridership of the Newcastle Metro: 112,000. Such unfair discrimination.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Craig Beevers wrote:
Questions like that really piss me off. So many of them in all of these game shows. The rest of the country of the country does not revolve around your overgrown city or that shithole underground 'network'. They'd never ask for a list of stations for the Newcastle Metro.
That would be quite funny!

I agree with the general point though. Unless you live in or near London or go there regularly, you are unlikely to get very far. I skipped through the intros but I got the impression that the girl on the other team (that didn't want to play this round) drives an overland train somewhere in London - I'd have thought she'd have done OK at this as it's vaguely work-related! I'd have done OK despite not living in London (apart from for 11 months about 22 years ago).

As an aside, I go to London fairly often with work and have used the Underground a lot. About 2 years ago, I was trying to get in a bit more exercise so, when time permitted, I started walking instead. It's surprising how close some things are and, often, you can find that it's as quick to walk as it is to take the tube. And you get to see a lot more (although you do inhale a few more carcinogens I suspect).
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Craig Beevers wrote:overgrown city
Fair.
Craig Beevers wrote:shithole underground 'network'
:x
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Craig Beevers is overgrown with a shithole underground.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

School-level insults are the best.

I live in London now but I am quite shit at knowing stuff still. I'd get 20 no worries and not sure after that. One of those topics you can get into a flow on I'd imagine, with station names unexpectedly popping out from the recesses.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I think Craig's criticism was a little bit harsh since it is the capital and does feature in quizzes quite a bit but I still agree it was a crap question and horrible one for anyone outside London. I would have just been completely guessing at stations not knowing anything about which Zone they were in. The first I heard about Zones was in May this year when my ticket wouldn't permit me to go through the barrier at Whitechapel (which was apparently Zone 2) but the guard was nice and let me through.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Craig Beevers wrote:They'd never ask for a list of stations for the Newcastle Metro.
Haha. Daily ridership of the London Underground: 2,930,000. Daily ridership of the Newcastle Metro: 112,000. Such unfair discrimination.
The 112,000 would win a fight against the 2,930,000 so it's a fair comparison. Also the question was one zone of the six in the underground, albeit the most popular one presumably.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:The first I heard about Zones was in May this year when my ticket wouldn't permit me to go through the barrier at Whitechapel (which was apparently Zone 2) but the guard was nice and let me through.
You know what to do if he doesn't though, right?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I wouldn't have had a clue. I didn't even know there were different zones, never mind which stations are in which one.

It's not an unfair question though, this is a quiz about reeling off lists of stuff and London Underground stations are such a quiz staple that it's a pretty obvious thing to learn up on if you don't already know them.