Perfection

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Perfection

Post by Michael Wallace »

New series of this has started, and I still can't understand if it's terrible or not. One thing I'd like to know though, is what happens if you run out of time when doing your individual questions. (For the uninitiated, the contestant gets three rounds of four T/F questions that they have 15 seconds to answer, except I don't think I've ever seen anyone run out of time, but giving no answer would kinda break the game.) I can only assume they give you a random answer, but that would seem a bit weird too.

It's also quite funny when contestants have clearly been told to adopt the 'talk about your answer' style of answering, but then they start running out of time because they've done it too much.
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Post by Stewart Scott »

From what I can remember of the rules briefing we all got on our first day at the studio, I think what happens if the time should run out is that the round would be lost (as in not getting perfection) and I think it's automatically awarded to the "usual suspects" but I'm not 100% sure if that's the case.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Stewart Scott wrote:From what I can remember of the rules briefing we all got on our first day at the studio, I think what happens if the time should run out is that the round would be lost (as in not getting perfection) and I think it's automatically awarded to the "usual suspects" but I'm not 100% sure if that's the case.
Aha. That would make a lot of sense.

It's quite fun thinking about a strategy for the show. I rarely see a final set of questions that I'm certain on all six of, so I'd imagine I'd settle for a big enough lump of dosh for a 50/50. The other day one of the 'usual suspects' said that they were going to deliberately pick subjects they thought the contestant would like in an attempt to increase the chance of being able to come down and help out for a share. I'd imagine something along the lines of encouraging (or just mandating if you're the captain) subjects that you know you're individually very strong at, and once they're exhausted doing the same but with subjects you think the contestant would be very good at, might work quite well.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:New series of this has started, and I still can't understand if it's terrible or not.
I've watched it twice now and I hate to say I sort of like it. It's fairly fast paced and it's a neat idea and not too impossible to win money on either (not like Eggheads say). The only reason I don't make a habit of watching it is because they snubbed me so I try to boycott it. I'm petty like that, one reason why I don't watch Pointless. But it's hard to resist 'cos I do like it.
Michael Wallace wrote: It's quite fun thinking about a strategy for the show.
In one of the two shows I saw, the jackpot was like £12,000 and at the end the woman asked The Usual Suspects about any help and they all more or less said they didn't want to risk it. But then the woman asked a bit more and one of the guys sort of reluctantly more or less said "go on then let's have a go". And then when it came down to it he didn't change any of the answers! So he bluffed his way into a £9,500 deal. I thought this was pretty fucking cool. The only problem being that unfortunately one of them was wrong but I really wanted him to win it just 'cos of what he did.

Is this common on the show?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:New series of this has started, and I still can't understand if it's terrible or not.
I've watched it twice now and I hate to say I sort of like it. It's fairly fast paced and it's a neat idea and not too impossible to win money on either (not like Eggheads say). The only reason I don't make a habit of watching it is because they snubbed me so I try to boycott it. I'm petty like that, one reason why I don't watch Pointless. But it's hard to resist 'cos I do like it.
I can't make up my mind. It has a reasonable question rate (I mean, as quiz shows go thiese days), but you don't get that much value from it, definitely a "whilst doing other things" show for me.
Rizzle Tizzle wrote:In one of the two shows I saw, the jackpot was like £12,000 and at the end the woman asked The Usual Suspects about any help and they all more or less said they didn't want to risk it. But then the woman asked a bit more and one of the guys sort of reluctantly more or less said "go on then let's have a go". And then when it came down to it he didn't change any of the answers! So he bluffed his way into a £9,500 deal. I thought this was pretty fucking cool. The only problem being that unfortunately one of them was wrong but I really wanted him to win it just 'cos of what he did.

Is this common on the show?
I don't think I've ever seen someone do that. It's a pretty important tactic though, that I think most people either don't think of, or don't consider because it makes you look like a bit of a bastard. It's like when someone says "you've definitely got 1 wrong, I'll come down for 90% of the jackpot, you'll win nothing otherwise!", which sounds quite convincing, but I've yet to see anyone come back with "yeah, but you could be lying and I could have them all right, so I'd need to give away less to make it worth that risk".
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Watching it now! I'm hooked now. Damn.

There's a truly LOL moment from Aaron! Hahaha. And the tension between Stephen and Aaron after that Percy Edwards/Thrower/Shaw debacle was freaking intense!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Awesome! £14,000 won! I love how George just strolled on, took his chance and all he did was change one answer and walked out with £11,000! Wasn't too keen on Joe when I watched early on in the week but I'm glad he won too actually £3,000 for a student is good going.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

The idiocy of game show contestants is really starting to get on my tits. One of the contestants today said,"you've got one wrong but I couldn't tell you what the right answer is." What?? Does she not understand what the show is about? If true is wrong then false is right. And then the other idiot comes down and doesn't change any of the answers. Morons. I did like the guy's wine bluff though.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Mark James wrote:The idiocy of game show contestants is really starting to get on my tits. One of the contestants today said,"you've got one wrong but I couldn't tell you what the right answer is." What?? Does she not understand what the show is about? If true is wrong then false is right. And then the other idiot comes down and doesn't change any of the answers. Morons. I did like the guy's wine bluff though.
You should apply.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Mark James wrote:The idiocy of game show contestants is really starting to get on my tits. One of the contestants today said,"you've got one wrong but I couldn't tell you what the right answer is." What?? Does she not understand what the show is about? If true is wrong then false is right. And then the other idiot comes down and doesn't change any of the answers. Morons. I did like the guy's wine bluff though.
Agreed on the first point (I noticed it myself at the time), but you're being a bit unfair on the girl who came down but didn't change any - presumably she just thought they were all right? (Or t least, didn't think changing any would improve her chances of winning.)
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
You should apply.
Can I apply from Ireland? So many game shows wont let me.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Mark James wrote:Can I apply from Ireland? So many game shows wont let me.
I don't know but you could download the form and see. That's if they're doing another one.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Mark James wrote:Can I apply from Ireland? So many game shows wont let me.
I don't know but you could download the form and see. That's if they're doing another one.
I think they will, it does actually have some good merits.

I didn't even know there was a 2nd series, would've applied for that too.

So, hopefully, there'll be a Series 3. :)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Stewart Scott wrote:Hi folks,

Just posting here to say that I will be on the upcoming series of Perfection starting on the 2nd January 2012 - I am on about halfway througb the run (I don't have an actual date but I think it might be the 20th January).

EDIT: It's confirmed for the 20th January
Just saw it, Stewart. Super unlucky, only 3 questions wrong all show. Ouchy. :(
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Post by Stewart Scott »

James Robinson wrote:
Stewart Scott wrote:Hi folks,

Just posting here to say that I will be on the upcoming series of Perfection starting on the 2nd January 2012 - I am on about halfway througb the run (I don't have an actual date but I think it might be the 20th January).

EDIT: It's confirmed for the 20th January
Just saw it, Stewart. Super unlucky, only 3 questions wrong all show. Ouchy. :(
Cheers James :)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Niall Laverty (who was on CD over 2 decades ago) on Perfection yesterday and today.

He was also on Pointless a week and a half ago too. :geek:
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

James Robinson wrote:Niall Laverty (who was on CD over 2 decades ago) on Perfection yesterday and today.

He was also on Pointless a week and a half ago too. :geek:
And was even better on Perfection!! Became the first player ever to get complete PERFECTION. 8-)
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Yea I saw that, it was very impressive - also having the guts to rebuff all the offers at the end and go it alone.

I notice they had a question about Scrabble in today, it was (roughly) "the word Innit is acceptable in UK Scrabble" - the 'correct' answer was TRUE. However if the show was filmed before 2012 then it should have been FALSE - it only got added this year. Will have to try and find out when it was recorded.
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Post by Stewart Scott »

Craig Beevers wrote:Yea I saw that, it was very impressive - also having the guts to rebuff all the offers at the end and go it alone.

I notice they had a question about Scrabble in today, it was (roughly) "the word Innit is acceptable in UK Scrabble" - the 'correct' answer was TRUE. However if the show was filmed before 2012 then it should have been FALSE - it only got added this year. Will have to try and find out when it was recorded.
It was recorded in July last year.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Thanks thought it would probably be last year.

I wonder what wordlist or program their researchers used, the new book was out but I suspect they just flicked through a Collin's Gem or it got played on the hideous Scrabble iPhone app.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... pisode_21/

11:07 - Left hanging.
I just flicked through this, not sure I understand what you're getting at.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... pisode_21/

11:07 - Left hanging.
I just flicked through this, not sure I understand what you're getting at.
The handshake? He goes for a handshake and gets left hanging.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:The handshake? He goes for a handshake and gets left hanging.
Oh, haha, have rewatched it now and that's great. The first time I assumed it was something to do with the questions so missed it.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Haha. Yeah I needed your help as well. Enjoyed it though.