Karen on The Chase

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: Lesley Hines, JackHurst

User avatar
Soph K
Devotee
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Lalaland

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Soph K » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:46 pm

Ryan Taylor wrote:The Chaser (Shaun) was completely dominated tonight. The most convincing victory ever (all 3 contestants at the end were good). To make it even better the Eggheads have just lost to one person in the final. Awesome.
Is Shaun the one with black hair or is it the other man that's Shaun?
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P

Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter
Posts: 1461
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Eoin Monaghan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:49 pm

Soph K wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:The Chaser (Shaun) was completely dominated tonight. The most convincing victory ever (all 3 contestants at the end were good). To make it even better the Eggheads have just lost to one person in the final. Awesome.
Is Shaun the one with black hair or is it the other man that's Shaun?
Mark is the one with the black hair

User avatar
Soph K
Devotee
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Lalaland

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Soph K » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:17 pm

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Soph K wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:The Chaser (Shaun) was completely dominated tonight. The most convincing victory ever (all 3 contestants at the end were good). To make it even better the Eggheads have just lost to one person in the final. Awesome.
Is Shaun the one with black hair or is it the other man that's Shaun?
Mark is the one with the black hair
Ok then, thanks.
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7232
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Shaun is the tall one with glasses and a shaved head who is a barrister or something and slightly sticky out ears.

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Sophie, can you PLEASE read the thread BEFORE posting questions that have been answered already! And it's on the wiki as well.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7232
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Matt Morrison » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:33 pm

Shaun is the black one with different skin to white people.

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Ryan Taylor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:14 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:Shaun is the black one with different skin to white people.
I've heard that because of this different skin it prevents them from swimming (just like white men can't jump). Can you shed any light on this?

User avatar
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter
Posts: 1250
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Worcester

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Lesley Hines » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:21 pm

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Shaun is the black one with different skin to white people.
I've heard that because of this different skin it prevents them from swimming (just like white men can't jump). Can you shed any light on this?
This intrigued me so I googled it and found this superb answer. It didn't answer your question but from time to time we all need a reminder of the realities of the internet.

As accurate as the pub quiz afficionado who gave this answer last night:
Q: If a cheetah's the fastest thing on four legs what's the fastest thing on two legs?
A: Giraffe

Quality

Btw polar bears have got black skin. I can't think of a single reason why black men can't swim, and all the physically fit white men I know can jump.
Lowering the averages since 2009

User avatar
Karen Pearson
Devotee
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:28 am
Location: Bromsgrove

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Karen Pearson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:49 pm

In case anyone here does not already know, Dinos is on The Chase at 5pm today.

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Ryan Taylor » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:31 pm

And can I just say how awesome The Chase was yesterday, definitely ITV player job.

SPOILERS: A record £50,400 was won with notably Keith putting in £40,000 to the kitty. Keith is definitely the best player I've seen on The Chase in the ones that I've watched but I also love how in the Endgame any gaps in his knowledge were filled in by the other contestants like Nicos going on a streak and the woman on the end just chipping in with "Scott Joplin". Then the ones Shaun got wrong were all capitalised on (apart from one) showing that every penny of the £50,400 was fully deserved. Shaun was poor at the start but he made it a great end by answering stupidly fast and I thought on around the 15second mark that he might just pull off the most unlikeliest of comebacks. I thought everything good about The Chase was epitomised in that one episode.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7232
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Matt Morrison » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Ryan Taylor wrote:And can I just say how awesome The Chase was yesterday, definitely ITV player job.

SPOILERS: A record £50,400 was won with notably Keith putting in £40,000 to the kitty. Keith is definitely the best player I've seen on The Chase in the ones that I've watched but I also love how in the Endgame any gaps in his knowledge were filled in by the other contestants like Nicos going on a streak and the woman on the end just chipping in with "Scott Joplin". Then the ones Shaun got wrong were all capitalised on (apart from one) showing that every penny of the £50,400 was fully deserved. Shaun was poor at the start but he made it a great end by answering stupidly fast and I thought on around the 15second mark that he might just pull off the most unlikeliest of comebacks. I thought everything good about The Chase was epitomised in that one episode.
Absolutely. Best episode I've ever seen. I get a bit pissed off with the advice they give fellow contestants sometimes. If I was one of the three who had advanced, I would have actively encouraged the last contestant to take the £400 rather than the £4000, the £3600 difference is fuck all in itself compared to the £50k they'd got already, but even less than fuck all once you divide it by 4. It's far more important to have a player in at the end than to risk that for a little extra, and rarely is there such a 4th-contestant situation where it is so damn obvious to say so, but they (contestants and production) still made out that it was a bad, foolish, pussy thing to go for the £400. After Keith had whipped in the £40k you could argue all the subsequent contestants should have taken the easy route really, for the team, not for selfish reasons.

Anyway it worked out well, and they seemed to have real good teamwork going in the final chase. As well as your examples above, I really enjoyed the bit where they struggled to think of that female MP's name who had been a weathergirl (had never heard of her myself) and they did it all together, some people on surname and then the £400 girl sorting out the first name at the last moment. And then they all did synchronised fist pump celebrations when it had been confirmed they got it right, twas awesome!

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Ryan Taylor » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:11 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:As well as your examples above, I really enjoyed the bit where they struggled to think of that female MP's name who had been a weathergirl (had never heard of her myself) and they did it all together, some people on surname and then the £400 girl sorting out the first name at the last moment. And then they all did synchronised fist pump celebrations when it had been confirmed they got it right, twas awesome!
Yep this was awesome. A further example was the Kings of Leon one where Keith said something like "the ones who sing Sex on Fire" and then Nicos chipped in with "Kings of Leon". Every single answer was so valuable to them.

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Ryan Taylor » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:12 pm

This post was made by Ryan Taylor who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Mark James » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:38 pm

Good show today. Some nice banter between the contestants and the chaser and even Bradley, who also chipped in with the fact about Rada. I love that they have this banter but the chaser is still complementary when they do well. Fair play to the guy who lost out for going for the big amount but who goes on a quiz show without knowing who shot J.R. One of the best team performances I've seen. Martin was the stand out but they all contributed. Due to hating ITV I never would have watched this show if it wasn't for this thread so cheers everyone.

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:57 pm

WOW

Epic Final chase today.

I'll spoiler-it just in case:
The team managed a reasonable 23 steps, however they were angry with one member because he could have taken £23,000 but he took -£1,000. In the final chase, the chaser got one wrong at about the 9 mark, and got the 23 with 0:01 to go. Phew. Then, in a raw explicit of emotion, he punched the air multiple times!

WOW.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:58 pm

Oh, and Richard Priest is on the chase on Friday 18th.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9373
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Charlie Reams » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Rhys Benjamin wrote:he could have taken £23,000 but he took -£1,000
So if he loses they add £1000 to the total?

User avatar
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter
Posts: 1063
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Joseph Krol » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:he could have taken £23,000 but he took -£1,000
So if he loses they add £1000 to the total?
No - if he gets through to the final round then the team get 1000 quids taken off their money total.
Image

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Mark James » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:48 pm

Being from Ireland we get UTV instead of ITV and there was no chase today because there was a Northern Ireland news special instead. Bloody Nordies.

Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter
Posts: 1461
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Eoin Monaghan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:49 pm

Mark James wrote:Being from Ireland we get UTV instead of ITV and there was no chase today because there was a Northern Ireland news special instead. Bloody Nordies.
But it was for an event in the South. Tragic accident.

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Mark James » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:50 pm

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark James wrote:Being from Ireland we get UTV instead of ITV and there was no chase today because there was a Northern Ireland news special instead. Bloody Nordies.
But it was for an event in the South. Tragic accident.
Ooops. Sorry about that.

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Ryan Taylor » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Anne's been sucking too much cock.

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Ryan Taylor » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:56 pm

£20,000 each tonight. Two of the better contestants and thoroughly deserved. Sweet win.

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Mark James » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:01 pm

Ryan Taylor wrote:£20,000 each tonight. Two of the better contestants and thoroughly deserved. Sweet win.
Agreed. Top show today. Third guy was a bit unlucky. I never would have thought the NME was around in the fifties.

User avatar
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter
Posts: 1063
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Joseph Krol » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:06 pm

Mark James wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:£20,000 each tonight. Two of the better contestants and thoroughly deserved. Sweet win.
Agreed. Top show today. Third guy was a bit unlucky. I never would have thought the NME was around in the fifties.
Very good show. £20,000 well deserved.
Image

User avatar
Soph K
Devotee
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Lalaland

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Soph K » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:07 pm

Joseph Krol wrote:
Mark James wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:£20,000 each tonight. Two of the better contestants and thoroughly deserved. Sweet win.
Agreed. Top show today. Third guy was a bit unlucky. I never would have thought the NME was around in the fifties.
Very good show. £20,000 well deserved.
I agree with you Joseph
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P

User avatar
Ian Fitzpatrick
Enthusiast
Posts: 416
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Wimborne, Dorset

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:08 pm

Mark James wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:£20,000 each tonight. Two of the better contestants and thoroughly deserved. Sweet win.
Agreed. Top show today. Third guy was a bit unlucky. I never would have thought the NME was around in the fifties.
Sad to report, that I used to buy it in the 50's and 60's :oops:
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2606
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by JimBentley » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:22 pm

Mark James wrote:I never would have thought the NME was around in the fifties.
I think it was around before that as Accordion Weekly or something, it only changed its name in the fifties to be NME.

User avatar
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 am
Contact:

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Craig Beevers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:18 pm

Was I the only one who had no idea what NME was when the question came up?

Dinos Sfyris
Fanatic
Posts: 2704
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Dinos Sfyris » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:40 am

Agreed. They both displayed superb knowledge (admittedly I thought the first lady's questions were the easiest bunch I've seen in a while but she more than proved her mettle in the final chase as well some different, random, celebratory mini-dance after each question.) I was very surprised the chaser didn't get the New Zealand World Cup question. That must have been on every pub quiz this Summer. Also it's refreshing to know I'm not the only one to throw an absolute wobbly on the show (Tenor Julio Inglesias hehe)
Craig Beevers wrote:Was I the only one who had no idea what NME was when the question came up?
Yep. Now if you'll excuse me I'm running later for my flight to Paris to have lunch with Mr Warne.

Dan McColm
Enthusiast
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:23 am

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Dan McColm » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Am thinking about auditioning for this - what happens at the audition?

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:05 pm

Bradley Walsh wrote:What is the acronym for Welsh Anglo-Saxon Protestant?
Kev wrote:Pass.
Bradley Walsh wrote:Wasp

:D
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4137
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Jon O'Neill » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:06 pm

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Bradley Walsh wrote:What is the acronym for Welsh Anglo-Saxon Protestant?
Kev wrote:Pass.
Bradley Walsh wrote:Wasp

:D
Must've got it confused with the National Proof of Age Standards Scheme. Easy mistake to make.

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:07 pm

It's an honour to see my surname.... even if he gets caught.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Ryan Taylor » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:00 pm

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Bradley Walsh wrote:What is the acronym for Welsh Anglo-Saxon Protestant?
Kev wrote:Pass.
Bradley Walsh wrote:Wasp

:D
Is it completely wrong that I knew this answer without having to think about what each word started with because of this guy on YouTube? I can add that he is actually banned from uploading any more Rachel Riley videos.

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:41 pm

FORMULA 1 FTW!
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Mark James » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Fair play to that Craig guy admitting he was intending to take the low offer but didn't as it was a minus offer and he didn't want to ruin the other contestants good work. He was excellent during his chase too, no wrong answers and revealed a hatred for formula 1 (which sounds like a baby food to me). Clearly an intelligent chap. The team were a bit unlucky to have a question chalked off too but I suppose it still wouldn't have made a difference to the result. Don't see why they make them buzz in during the final chase. Why cant it just be the first person who shouts out an answer? Finally I'd love to see an eggheads chase crossover. There are seven eggheads so you could have two plus the three chasers against five eggheads and then the four best eggheads could go on the chase.

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Ryan Taylor » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:39 pm

Mark James wrote:Don't see why they make them buzz in during the final chase. Why cant it just be the first person who shouts out an answer?
What if two or more contestants shouted at different answers (one being right) simultaneous? The buzzer is needed, despite being slow, to stop this from happening.

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Mark James » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:35 pm

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Mark James wrote:Don't see why they make them buzz in during the final chase. Why cant it just be the first person who shouts out an answer?
What if two or more contestants shouted at different answers (one being right) simultaneous? The buzzer is needed, despite being slow, to stop this from happening.
Good thinking Ryan.

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Mark James » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:07 pm

I thought the official world cup 2010 song was "Waving Flag" by K'naan.

In the final chase, if the contestants get a question wrong, Bradley says what the right answer is which cuts in to their time. This doesn't happen to the chaser and I think its a distinct disadvantage for the contestants.

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Ryan Taylor » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Mark James wrote:I thought the official world cup 2010 song was "Waving Flag" by K'naan.
Ditto. Googled it to make sure they hadn't made a boo boo but sure enough Shakira with 'Waka Waka (Time for Africa)' was the official song.
Mark James wrote:In the final chase, if the contestants get a question wrong, Bradley says what the right answer is which cuts in to their time. This doesn't happen to the chaser and I think its a distinct disadvantage for the contestants.
Yeah it's all skewed for the Chaser but still, if the challengers just answer the question right then this doesn't happen!!!!

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Mark James » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:33 pm

I googled it too. Apparently shakira's was the official song and K'naan's was the official theme tune. Whatever the difference is?

User avatar
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9101
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Mirfield, West Yorkshire

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by James Robinson » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:08 pm

Dennis from last Monday's Countdown was on today Chase.

SPOILERS: Not a bad result: He won £5,000.
WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE!!!
UP THE MIGHTY TERRIERS!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Ryan Taylor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:16 pm

James Robinson wrote:Dennis from last Monday's Countdown was on today Chase.

SPOILERS: Not a bad result: He won £5,000.
This is pretty lulz because I did think to myself that I recognised this guy and thought I might have just seen him on the Weakest Link or something. It didn't occur to me that he was on Countdown until you've said. Even more embarrassing considering I recapped the damn game. My memory is bloody awful.

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Mark James » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:58 am

I knew I recognised him. I was saying it to me da and we both ended up thinking he was a member of our local leisure centre that we go to (I live in Ireland for those who don't know) and later my dad was even convinced that he had an Dublin accent. Such tools!

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7232
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:10 am

Haha. Same here. I thought he was one of Heather's teacher friends.

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4137
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Jon O'Neill » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:25 am

Ryan Taylor wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Dennis from last Monday's Countdown was on today Chase.

SPOILERS: Not a bad result: He won £5,000.
This is pretty lulz because I did think to myself that I recognised this guy and thought I might have just seen him on the Weakest Link or something. It didn't occur to me that he was on Countdown until you've said. Even more embarrassing considering I recapped the damn game. My memory is bloody awful.
Mark James wrote:I knew I recognised him. I was saying it to me da and we both ended up thinking he was a member of our local leisure centre that we go to (I live in Ireland for those who don't know) and later my dad was even convinced that he had an Dublin accent. Such tools!
Matt Morrison wrote:Haha. Same here. I thought he was one of Heather's teacher friends.
I thought it was me, I thought I must've just forgotten that I had been on it!

User avatar
Richard Priest
Devotee
Posts: 649
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:30 pm
Location: Newcastle-under-Lyme

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Richard Priest » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:54 pm

I'm wondering if this show (Feb 23rd) was filmed before mine, because after catching me and my team-mate Shaun said "I'm back" as though he may have had a recent defeat. Also before we took to the set the production team told us that one team this series had won on 19 steps.

Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion
Posts: 767
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Oliver Garner » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:47 pm

Richard Priest wrote:I'm wondering if this show (Feb 23rd) was filmed before mine, because after catching me and my team-mate Shaun said "I'm back" as though he may have had a recent defeat. Also before we took to the set the production team told us that one team this series had won on 19 steps.
Looking at Wikipedia, that was the only one ever won with 19 steps, so it must be.

User avatar
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9101
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Mirfield, West Yorkshire

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by James Robinson » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:27 pm

Oliver Garner wrote:
Richard Priest wrote:I'm wondering if this show (Feb 23rd) was filmed before mine, because after catching me and my team-mate Shaun said "I'm back" as though he may have had a recent defeat. Also before we took to the set the production team told us that one team this series had won on 19 steps.
Looking at Wikipedia, that was the only one ever won with 19 steps, so it must be.
Unless someone else is going to win with 19 steps, and hasn't been shown yet. :roll:
WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE!!!
UP THE MIGHTY TERRIERS!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

User avatar
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur
Posts: 5458
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 am
Location: London

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Michael Wallace » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:56 pm

James Robinson wrote:
Oliver Garner wrote:
Richard Priest wrote:I'm wondering if this show (Feb 23rd) was filmed before mine, because after catching me and my team-mate Shaun said "I'm back" as though he may have had a recent defeat. Also before we took to the set the production team told us that one team this series had won on 19 steps.
Looking at Wikipedia, that was the only one ever won with 19 steps, so it must be.
Unless someone else is going to win with 19 steps, and hasn't been shown yet. :roll:
Even if they do, it's still the case that they must be showing them out of (recording) order. :roll:

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Ryan Taylor » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:19 pm

Yeah I think they do show them out of order. It sort of makes sense to space out the episodes that the challengers win so that they aren't all shown in the same week. A bit like Countdown spacing out the apterites.

User avatar
Karen Pearson
Devotee
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:28 am
Location: Bromsgrove

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Karen Pearson » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Michael Wallace wrote: they must be showing them out of (recording) order. :roll:
That's right. They told us that could happen. So, you could be the first show recorded and not be broadcast until much later in the series. I imagine they don't want a run of 20 shows without a chaser being defeated.

Andrew Feist
Enthusiast
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Andrew Feist » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:00 pm

Mark James wrote: In the final chase, if the contestants get a question wrong, Bradley says what the right answer is which cuts in to their time. This doesn't happen to the chaser and I think its a distinct disadvantage for the contestants.
I've not sat down with a stopwatch to test it, but if the sound effects are reasonably accurate they usually wait till Bradley finishes "stop the clock" so I think it works out roughly the same.

Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter
Posts: 1461
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Eoin Monaghan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:39 pm

- Spoilers for today's show -


One of my opponent's, Les Morrell was on today's show, he got £14,000, which I remember him telling me was the highest ever total in an opening round.

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Mark James » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Karen's on again.

Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter
Posts: 1461
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Eoin Monaghan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Are the contestants told beforehand who the Chaser will be? Everytime they ask who they want or don't want it to be, it seems to be that person. Just a huge coincidence?

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Mark James » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:15 pm

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Are the contestants told beforehand who the Chaser will be? Everytime they ask who they want or don't want it to be, it seems to be that person. Just a huge coincidence?
I would guess the three of them are probably backstage and when someone says one they wheel that one out. I've noticed the better someone does in the cash build up the more likely it is Bradley asks them what subjects they'd like to come up and those subjects never come up. And was it just me or was that first ad break incredibly short?

User avatar
Karen Pearson
Devotee
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:28 am
Location: Bromsgrove

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Karen Pearson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:04 pm

Mark James wrote:Karen's on again.
Does this mean i get another cheque?

User avatar
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur
Posts: 5458
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 am
Location: London

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Michael Wallace » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:38 pm

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Are the contestants told beforehand who the Chaser will be? Everytime they ask who they want or don't want it to be, it seems to be that person. Just a huge coincidence?
They're not, and I imagine it's just that they only broadcast the bit where the contestant says "I'd really like/not like x" when x is the person they've got in line to be the chaser. They do occasionally not say who they'd like to face, so this seems pretty plausible to me. Also, one of the application forms also asks you which chaser you'd most like to face, so it's not really surprising that they have so many opportunities for the whole "oh no! it's the one you didn't want!" thing.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests