Karen on The Chase

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Karen on The Chase

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Word on the grapevine is that our very own Karen Pearson is on The Chase in roughly 45 minutes. She WAS going to keep it secret from us all until she made the mistake of telling a certain Grecian! That'll learn her.

Enjoy the show and feel free to compare, taunt, laugh at, sexually objectify and otherwise have fun at Karen's expense here :)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Karen on The Chase

Post by Michael Wallace »

OH MY GOD YES.

I am *so* looking forward to her banter. (srsly, the contestant/chaser banter is by far the best thing about that show - utterly hilarious)
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Michael Wallace wrote:OH MY GOD YES.

I am *so* looking forward to her banter. (srsly, the contestant/chaser banter is by far the best thing about that show - utterly hilarious)
Utterly excruciating is how I'd describe it!

I WILL get you back for this Mr Syphillis.

(Although I am very happy for people to sexually objectify me! It's a while since that's happened! I don't honestly think it's going to happen now though!)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Good stuff so far. Karen - did they tell you what happens if everyone gets caught?
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Michael Wallace wrote:Good stuff so far. Karen - did they tell you what happens if everyone gets caught?
No, it was never mentioned! It was probably in the rules we were given but who reads those?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

(Anyone who's read this far into the thread deserves spoilers anyway, but I'll spoiler-colour it just in case)

Awesome stuff, Karen. Not many teams manage to get the money, and I thought you weren't going to manage it when you only set a target of 21 (that's seemed a fairly easy target so far this seris), but she had an absolute mare near the start and never recovered. Out of interest - did that Bill guy contribute anything to the final? I don't remember him getting anything at all (which, if true means he just cost you guys money).
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Karen Pearson wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Good stuff so far. Karen - did they tell you what happens if everyone gets caught?
No, it was never mentioned! It was probably in the rules we were given but who reads those?
Fair enough, I'm just really curious to know what they'd do. (Also, when we did Pointless they made us listen to them reading out the (very long) rules all the way through!).
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Michael Wallace wrote:(Anyone who's read this far into the thread deserves spoilers anyway, but I'll spoiler-colour it just in case)

Awesome stuff, Karen. Not many teams manage to get the money, and I thought you weren't going to manage it when you only set a target of 21 (that's seemed a fairly easy target so far this seris), but she had an absolute mare near the start and never recovered. Out of interest - did that Bill guy contribute anything to the final? I don't remember him getting anything at all (which, if true means he just cost you guys money).

Thanks Michael. I didn't think 21 would be good enough either but we re lucky that she tripped up a few times and we were able to capitalise on it. Poor Bill was very nervous indeed. He did come up with the 'What's the Story Morning Glory' answer. And, we did start 1 place further along because he was there - and we might have needed that if the chaser had been better.

It was great fun and the ITV production team were just a lovely bunch of people (a bit like at Countdown). And we booked our flights to Costa Rica this morning!
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:
Fair enough, I'm just really curious to know what they'd do. (Also, when we did Pointless they made us listen to them reading out the (very long) rules all the way through!).
Yes, they did that to us too but I was busy revising my daily newspaper editors in my head!!
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Lowering the averages since 2009
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Excellent stuff KP, although you wuz robbed! If the money was allocated on input you'd be rolling in it, and Bill would owe you all! Still, nice nice nice. Fair play.

Forgive me for not sexually objectifying you though. Female solidarity and all that ;)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Thanks Lesley. I have no regrets at all - that's the way the game works. I'm just glad to have won something at last. My credibility with my nephews and nieces has improved again!

Thanks for the female solidarity. One of my male, supposed friends texted me to ask if I'd put weight on!! He knows how to make a girl feel good!!!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Will watch once my flatmates are up: had someone complain because I was watching something at the ungodly hour of noon while they were trying to sleep.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I'm up early on a Sunday and have just finished watching you having finally got round to it! Excellent stuff Karen, definitely the best contestant there in every way and I had a sneaky feeling that you'd won before the show just from the minor chat in aptochat. The Scottish bloke weren't too bad either despite him getting that Edinburgh question wrong, which I was clueless about too. The other two didn't really pull their weight but as you say it is the nature of the show and Bill did get you 2 moves up the endgame and young lass put £5,000 in the kitty. Well done Karen!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I'm up early on a Sunday and have just finished watching you having finally got round to it! Excellent stuff Karen, definitely the best contestant there in every way and I had a sneaky feeling that you'd won before the show just from the minor chat in aptochat. The Scottish bloke weren't too bad either despite him getting that Edinburgh question wrong, which I was clueless about too. The other two didn't really pull their weight but as you say it is the nature of the show and Bill did get you 2 moves up the endgame and young lass put £5,000 in the kitty. Well done Karen!
Well done, Karen. Thanks for the text, Dinos. I was sat in a hotel in Bolton bored so it was an excellent way to pass the time.
I can't believe he didn't guess any Scottish city, or even its capital. Tool.
Bless that nervous guy - I really felt sorry for him and the presenter really tried to make him feel at ease. Was lovely to watch.
I'm gonna sign off now before I get accused of being gay.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Well done, Karen! Only just watched it and thought you were excellent. Cameron (?!) was fairly good too whereas that Bill fella seemed to almost freeroll his way in for a cut.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Finally got round to watching this, nice one Karen :D Well done.And FWIW I didn't think you were XX years old :o
Last edited by Richard Priest on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Rich Priest wrote:Finally got round to watching this, nice one Karen :D Well done.And FWIW I didn't think you were ?? age :o
Thanks guys.

But Rich! Some people had missed the age bit! Any chance you could edit your post please!!!

All the other contestants were lovely so we were happy to share the money. Poor Bill WAS very nervous and just got more so as each one of us progress to the final!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I went to an audition for Pointless yesterday. There was a guy running late and he came running in. (There were 4 pairs of people). After the audition process we chatted about past quiz shows we'd been on, and the guy who was late said he was on The Chase last week. It was at this moment that it clicked and I said "KERMIT THE FROG!". He was the guy who got to the final by dropping down to £250 and then answered one question right, the answer being Kermit the Frog. I couldn't believe this was the guy who I had watched! I said to him "I won't tell you what I thought of you at the time" - basically that he was a fucking prick for taking an easy route and then scooping £10,250 for someone elses hard work.

More to come...I then got chatting to another guy who said he vaguely recognised me off Countdown. I was telling him about apterous and he had actually signed up and played a few games too! I couldn't believe it...he is called Rich Cawdron and as it turns out he asked if I knew Stewart Gordon. Turns out he knew him through Loughborough University. I found all this amazing how we all sort of connected.

Pointless anecdote over. (Pun definitely not intended)
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I went to an audition for Pointless yesterday.
I'm surprised you didn't bump into a couple more forumites there as there were two others auditioning yesterday! Could be a bumper series for Countdowners on Pointless!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Karen Pearson wrote:
I'm surprised you didn't bump into a couple more forumites there as there were two others auditioning yesterday! Could be a bumper series for Countdowners on Pointless!
Dinos I believe auditioned yesterday at the same place as me but I didn't know this until I got back and saw his facebook page. So we missed each other by about 2 hours.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Karen Pearson wrote:
Rich Priest wrote:Finally got round to watching this, nice one Karen :D Well done.And FWIW I didn't think you were ?? age :o
Thanks guys.

But Rich! Some people had missed the age bit! Any chance you could edit your post please!!!
Done :)
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Rich Priest wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:
Thanks guys.

Done :)
What a gentleman!! Thank you!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Karen Pearson wrote:
Dinos I believe auditioned yesterday at the same place as me but I didn't know this until I got back and saw his facebook page. So we missed each other by about 2 hours.
Yeah me and Rich were in the 2-4 audition. Would've been cool to hook up in the morning had I known you'd been there, although I was pretty fucked from post-exam celebrations the night before so maybe not the best idea. Anyway text me next time you're in my city :)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote: Dinos I believe auditioned yesterday at the same place as me but I didn't know this until I got back and saw his facebook page. So we missed each other by about 2 hours.
Yeah me and Rich were in the 2-4 audition. Would've been cool to hook up in the morning had I known you'd been there, although I was pretty fucked from post-exam celebrations the night before so maybe not the best idea. Anyway text me next time you're in my city :)
I would need your number again!. I lost my contacts after an awful Thursday night. I dropped my mobile in the toilet which I had vomited in and then proceeded to fish it out. It didn't work after that. :(
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Very good show today.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Very good show today.
Funnily enough I watched it today whilst practising my darts...I wouldn't usually watch it. Was quite fun to watch.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

The Chase is definitely the best new quiz show on. I think it was first shown for 2 weeks in a 6 week segment with The Fuse (bloody awful with twinkle toes Austin "I Can't Read an Autocue" Healy) and also Divided(?). The Chase is clearly the best one out of them and is now already gathering contstants for a 3rd series. When I know lots and lots of people who watch The Chase (often calling it wrongly "Have you seen the chaser Ryan?" - I just nod and agree rather than pull them up on it). It seems it is popular amongst teatime viewers despite being loaded with quiz questions, my mum even enjoys it and she doesn't like any quiz show!!

On tonights episode, I was so glad Mark pulled through and beat that smug Irish twat Ray and loved Mark's fist pump at the end. Awesome stuff!

Edit: And sorry for posting this in your topic Karen!
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Ryan Taylor wrote:smug Irish twat
Racist
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Ryan Taylor wrote: Edit: And sorry for posting this in your topic Karen!
Definitely not my topic Ryan! That git Dinos started it. I was trying to play it all low-key!!

Maybe we could just rename this 'The Chase'.

And I agree, it is pretty much the best quiz around at the moment. But I am looking forward to Pointless coming back on.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Karen's husband James is on the Chase right now.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Just as a heads-up, people may want to watch tomorrow (Monday), where a Mystery Contestant will be taking part :o :o :o

(ooooooooooooh)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

"I think we can see which way Jamie's going. He's going south."
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Great show (although I admittedly only saw the last half hour), definitely the best endgame I've seen on there for a while.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kate Richardson done well.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

The Chaser was pretty shit hot in that endgame. Just stuff like knowing The Whie Stripes and Leona Lewis' debut album 'Spirit' is good knowledge for someone of her age.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

The Chase has no audience, so this was the first time I'd seen this, although I mostly knew what happened so it was only interesting to see what they left in. The main thing to take from this is that CF got to talk about tentacle monsters on national TV.

The reason his hair looks lame is because they had to spray it loads to make it flatten down - he was getting some weird 'halo' from the lights behind the contestants or something.

A couple of things that are fun about the final chase, though. The first one was that she got a question wrong but Bradley started saying the right answer so she had to be asked some new question and deliberately get it wrong for the team to answer. Obviously the one she got wrong originally they all knew the answer to and the new one she didn't, so that's a bit annoying. The second one is that when she was asked what the opposite of yang was, she totally says 'ying', not 'yin' - CF queried this afterwards and the production guys basically said "yeah, we give the benefit of the doubt", which seems a bit lame but eh, what can you do?

Thought all the "omg CF is such a bastard for taking the low amount" was weirdly OTT - I've seen people go low plenty of times on previous shows and they've never acted like it was such a horrendous thing to do (although apparently the old dude was super pissed off at the time). Not that I'm biased or anything 8-)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

It was a fun show, I liked CF on here unlike real life where he's an utter prick.

How does the end bit work when they beat her?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon O'Neill wrote:It was a fun show, I liked CF on here unlike real life where he's an utter prick.

...you win the money?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:It was a fun show, I liked CF on here unlike real life where he's an utter prick.

...you win the money?
It's split equally regardless of who puts what into the kitty.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:

...you win the money?
It's split equally regardless of who puts what into the kitty.
Oh right, yeah. This is why CF went low - there's not much point risking it when you only want £1500 to go on holiday :(
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

cool. thanks.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Heather wants to talk to CF about Japan. I might talk to you about something else while they are chatting Michael.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:Heather wants to talk to CF about Japan. I might talk to you about something else while they are chatting Michael.
Like SHOES or PONIES?

(I do actually need some new shoes)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Was the Chaser taking the piss today? Just seemed like he was letting her win. Insane number of messed up questions, real easy stuff like the Nike/Adidas one.
Conspiracytastic.

I wonder if he's even allowed to beat all four contestants in the prelims, too? Has it happened before?
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Matt Morrison wrote:Was the Chaser taking the piss today? Just seemed like he was letting her win. Insane number of messed up questions, real easy stuff like the Nike/Adidas one.
Conspiracytastic.

I wonder if he's even allowed to beat all four contestants in the prelims, too? Has it happened before?
I think so, and they brought a contestant back who was picked by the team.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I'd never seen this show before as I have an aversion to ITV but I must say it's really good.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Was the Chaser taking the piss today? Just seemed like he was letting her win. Insane number of messed up questions, real easy stuff like the Nike/Adidas one.
Conspiracytastic.

As a new viewer I may be missing something here but if no one gets through the prelims wouldn't there be no jackpot to play for.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Mark James wrote:I'd never seen this show before as I have an aversion to ITV but I must say it's really good.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Conspiracytastic.

As a new viewer I may be missing something here but if no one gets through the prelims wouldn't there be no jackpot to play for.
Nah, Eoin is right. If everyone is caught they bring back a contestant and specify some arbitrary jackpot for them to go for. It happened in episode 5 of this series, apparently.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

I think they get £1000.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Joseph Krol wrote:I think they get £1000.
I think it's £4000, equivalent of £1000 each.

I'm sure that's what happened when I saw it once when I was ill a few weeks ago.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Meh, that's pretty shit I reckon. Feels wrong.

But yeah - anyone agree he was being almost deliberately bad yesterday? Did seem dodgy.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

When I was on, they told us it would be £1000. But, of course, that may have changed.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:Meh, that's pretty shit I reckon. Feels wrong.

But yeah - anyone agree he was being almost deliberately bad yesterday? Did seem dodgy.
Didn't see it but who was it? Shaun or Mark? There have been times before when it looks a little suspect when they get one wrong, the type of question that they would undoubtedly have come across in their many years of quizzing. It always seems to happen at an important point too e.g. needs to get one wrong so that the guy stays in the game. Mircaulously the guy who would have been caught proceeds to the final.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Meh, that's pretty shit I reckon. Feels wrong.

Didn't see it but who was it? Shaun or Mark? There have been times before when it looks a little suspect when they get one wrong, the type of question that they would undoubtedly have come across in their many years of quizzing. It always seems to happen at an important point too e.g. needs to get one wrong so that the guy stays in the game. Mircaulously the guy who would have been caught proceeds to the final.
This was for the final chase, with one left. It was Mark. The Nike/Adidas question was which sportswear manufacturer's motto is "Just Do It". You can't get that wrong.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Matt Morrison wrote: The Nike/Adidas question was which sportswear manufacturer's motto is "Just Do It". You can't get that wrong.
I have no interest in expensive trainers, so had to Google for the answer :o :roll: :x
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Peter Mabey wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: The Nike/Adidas question was which sportswear manufacturer's motto is "Just Do It". You can't get that wrong.
I have no interest in expensive trainers, so had to Google for the answer :o :roll: :x
Nor do I.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Peter Mabey wrote:
Nor do I.
I have an anecdote about Nike trainers. My friend who is at Derby university got extremely pissed before a night out (pre-drinks) so that he was considered too drunk to go out and was left at the house. After getting back around 4am he wasn't in the house any more and only reappeared at 11am the next morning wearing what looked like a new Helly Hansen jacket and some very white trainers.

It turns out that he'd ventured out into Derby (barefooted) but got lost and was found just curled up on the pavement. This was mid-December with all that snow! A couple took him in gave him a hot drink and warmed his feet up. What had then happened was he woke up in this "random" house with a cup of tea laying next to him. He believed he had had his cup of tea spiked and been taken back to this house and so decided to, upon leaving, steal a Helly Hansen jacket and some Nike Air Maxes*. He has since not returned either items and actually goes to uni in the trainers from time to time. Lad!

*Topical
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Haha, brilliant.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Oh, I didn't know she was on The Chase. The Chase isn't bad, but I'm not a big fan of it, to be honest.
How did Karen do? Did she win the money?
Which Chaser was she up against? I think the man with black hair is the cleverest, then the other man, then the lady.
Congrats, Karen.
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

The Chaser (Shaun) was completely dominated tonight. The most convincing victory ever (all 3 contestants at the end were good). To make it even better the Eggheads have just lost to one person in the final. Awesome.