Pointless Audition

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Matthew Green
Devotee

Pointless Audition

Post by Matthew Green »

Got my Pointless audition on Thursday- any advice on how to get through? I assume they're looking for certain personality traits as well as knowledge. Aside from Michael, weren't there a few others on here who have auditioned?
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Pointless Audition

Post by James Robinson »

I did, but didn't get through, although I'm hoping to try again, although leaving it pretty fine to hand in my application form, since I have til Monday to do it. (Bit slow, because the original closing date was not for another 7 weeks.)

They're clearly looking more for personality, rather than intelligence I think, but you do obviously need to possess some knowledge. Still a bit miffed about not getting through the last time, but what can you do. :x :roll:
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Just be engaging, chatty, play along with whatever shit they throw at you, the usual stuff. At our audition there were 5 couples and we were the only pair to get on, and we were comfortably the most willing participants (if you see what I mean). Tbh, I think they probably liked us because we seemed a bit 'crazy', but the main thing is to just do good banter, since apparently that's what most of the show has to be about.

Also, if they do the same thing as they did at ours, be ready with a 'fun fact' about yourself, you might get randomly asked for one.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:Also, if they do the same thing as they did at ours, be ready with a 'fun fact' about yourself, you might get randomly asked for one.
What was yours?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon Corby wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Also, if they do the same thing as they did at ours, be ready with a 'fun fact' about yourself, you might get randomly asked for one.
What was yours?
They didn't ask me, but I think it was going to be something about assassins (so like "I once stayed up all night hiding in someone's staircase at university to shoot them with a water pistol", except phrased in a way that they'd be interested and ask me follow up questions, rather than like that, which makes me sound like a fucking loon).
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

James Robinson wrote:I didn't get through, They're clearly looking more for personality
Haha
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Me too. I've asked for my form to be re-submitted but I may not bother auditioning again.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Michael Wallace wrote:Just be engaging, chatty, play along with whatever shit they throw at you, the usual stuff. At our audition there were 5 couples and we were the only pair to get on, and we were comfortably the most willing participants (if you see what I mean). Tbh, I think they probably liked us because we seemed a bit 'crazy', but the main thing is to just do good banter, since apparently that's what most of the show has to be about.

Also, if they do the same thing as they did at ours, be ready with a 'fun fact' about yourself, you might get randomly asked for one.
Yea as someone who watches virtually every new gameshow once you really have to try and differentiate between something like Countdown where it's about skill and virtually everything else which is a reality TV/gameshow hybrid. In the latter they're looking for contestants who're 'entertaining' in a reality TV kind of way. I think it probably helps if you're quirky or have some sort of angle, whilst still being outgoing obviously. The contestant's skill is not the focus of the show.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

What's more, I do not think I would call mine an 'audition'. There was hardly any talk or questions and answers - just playing the game(s). We gave our names to the group and nothing else.
No 'What do you do or where do you come from or why have you applied'
Waste of time and petrol.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

John Bosley wrote:What's more, I do not think I would call mine an 'audition'. There was hardly any talk or questions and answers - just playing the game(s).
...so a bit like almost all of what happens on the show, then?
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

yes