The Weakest Link

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

The Weakest Link

Post by Martin Gardner »

Inspired by the great Kirk Bevins, I've decided to download an application form for the weakest link (just type Weakest Link BBC website or something similar into Google to get the link) and I'll be filling it in after my my penultimate exam next month.

I don't really care how well I do, I just want to do it for a laugh. However I don't want to get voted out first so I was wondering how exactly do you practise for a game like that? Are there websites that help you learn general knowlegde? Also what tactics are there?

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Re: The Weakest Link

Post by Paul Howe »

So you're not taking it seriously, but still looking for websites to help build your general knowledge! I don't think there's much to it strategy wise, just try not to piss off your fellow contestants and maybe tone it down a bit if you happen to be seriously good.

Best of luck getting on the show.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:Are there websites that help you learn general knowlegde?
There's the quiz on my website (QuizQuack) which improved my general knowledge a bit, although I haven't maintained it for years so it may not be much good. Also there are plenty of quiz books you can buy to test yourself and learn at the same time.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Gardner wrote:Are there websites that help you learn general knowlegde?Martin
You might want to have a look at Fun Trivia. There is alot of quizzes here on a plethora of subjects :).
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Best of luck with this, Martin. As for brushing up on general knowledge, there's very little you can do in the short space of time you have (OK, it might be a while between now and your recording date, but it would take years and years of dedicated study to get really good at the whole general knowledge thing - by definition, it's an immense subject). I would try to keep up with the news, try a few quizzes (there's billions on the internet), but that's about it.

As for getting voted off first, there's only two ways this can happen really - either get questions wrong, or give the other contestants a reason to vote you off irrespective of how you do on the questions. The first round really is piss-easy as long as you listen to what is being asked - I don't think many contestants have genuinely not known the answers to questions they've got wrong in the first round, they've usually answered a different question, because they've not listened to the question all the way through. Assuming you do get them all right in the first round - and I'm sure you will - the only reason you'd be voted off is if you'd antagonised the other contestants in some way, so as Joseph says, don't piss them off!

Let us know how it's all progressing, anyway. I think the whole process of getting on the show can take a while and isn't always straightforward, as Neb can testify.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Good luck, Martin.

I used to be able to see the UK Weakest Link here, but not anymore.

Maybe I will see you on the show in the near future.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Thought I'd bump this thread to see if any of our newbies since Charlie's plug have been on the Weakest Link.

Just had my audition today. Quite a fun experience. Got 3/3 questions right in the practice round and 15/20 on the 3 minute general knowledge quiz. The camera interview process was fun as well. Will update you on whether I get on in 3-4 weeks :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Just had my audition today. Quite a fun experience. Got 3/3 questions right in the practice round and 15/20 on the 3 minute general knowledge quiz. The camera interview process was fun as well. Will update you on whether I get on in 3-4 weeks :)
Judging by recent episodes, your main chance of being rejected stems from being too good.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:Just had my audition today. Quite a fun experience. Got 3/3 questions right in the practice round and 15/20 on the 3 minute general knowledge quiz. The camera interview process was fun as well. Will update you on whether I get on in 3-4 weeks :)
Judging by recent episodes, your main chance of being rejected stems from being too good.
To put it in perspective- I originally applied for the weakest link in May 2003 and my audition in August 2005. I blitzed through it, easily strongest link of the audition round with 3/3 right and hammered the pen and paper quiz, then got told a few months later I had to re-apply again from scratch as my original application was out of date, which was entirely the fault of the useless gits at the BBC for delaying my audition in the first place.

I haven't bothered, btw. The only reason I'd want to go on that show is to answer Anne Robinson's questions with the phrase 'none of your fucking business'.

Corby, you ever been on the show? :D
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

They seemed to love my weird and wonderful hobbies including pi and trains - this always helps when trying to show them you're a nutcase.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Wilson wrote:Corby, you ever been on the show? :D
None of your fucking business.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Thought I'd bump this thread to see if any of our newbies since Charlie's plug have been on the Weakest Link.
Having been on the show in 2003, I'd say luck plays a major role - not only in the questions you get asked, but also in how fairly your team mates vote. I was also lucky to be on a strong team who banked lots of money for me to win. ;) There's little value in being a know-all if the rest of your team keep answering questions wrongly and breaking the chain.

Leaving luck aside, I'd say the most important tactic you can adopt is to stay calm and listen properly to the questions. Second most important is not to wind up the other contestants in the green room. Third most important is not to keep banking in the early rounds when you've got plenty of time to build up a decent chain.

You can read my detailed account of the whole process here.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Good luck to you, Dinos!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kirk Bevins wrote:They seemed to love my weird and wonderful hobbies including pi and trains - this always helps when trying to show them you're a nutcase.
And anagrams :P
Dinos Sfyris wrote:Thought I'd bump this thread to see if any of our newbies since Charlie's plug have been on the Weakest Link.

Just had my audition today. Quite a fun experience. Got 3/3 questions right in the practice round and 15/20 on the 3 minute general knowledge quiz. The camera interview process was fun as well. Will update you on whether I get on in 3-4 weeks :)
The best of luck to you Dinos :D
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Thanks Joseph and Jason.

Just got my letter. I was successful at the audition and am now on the contestant shortlist. Very exciting :D
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Great to hear that, Dinos. Best of luck. Do let us know when you're going to appear.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Thanks Joseph and Jason.

Just got my letter. I was successful at the audition and am now on the contestant shortlist. Very exciting :D
Well done Dinos, that's great. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long.
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Very good, Dinos!
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I never saw Kirk's show, is there any way I can see it now?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jimmy wrote:I never saw Kirk's show, is there any way I can see it now?
AFAIK no. It was on BBC iplayer for about 2 days then decided not to be on there any more even though it was supposed to be there for a week. There are 2 clips of it on my facebook where I answer Anne back and where I get voted off and tell the camera that Emma was fit.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
AFAIK no. It was on BBC iplayer for about 2 days then decided not to be on there any more even though it was supposed to be there for a week. There are 2 clips of it on my facebook where I answer Anne back and where I get voted off and tell the camera that Emma was fit.
When were you on Kirk? If it was on iPlayer, I'm assuming it was relatively recently. If so, it'll be repeated at some stage, although annoyingly they don't let you know when that happens.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
When were you on Kirk? If it was on iPlayer, I'm assuming it was relatively recently. If so, it'll be repeated at some stage, although annoyingly they don't let you know when that happens.
Broadcast mid-February 2008.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:When were you on Kirk?
Ah right. Mine was repeated about a year after first transmission. They mix up new ones with repeats though (which is very noticeable at the moment because the new shows have different lighting in the floor and a rewritten opening spiel from Anne), and show repeats in a different sequence, so it's hard to predict when you'll be on again.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:When were you on Kirk?
Ah right. Mine was repeated about a year after first transmission. They mix up new ones with repeats though (which is very noticeable at the moment because the new shows have different lighting in the floor and a rewritten opening spiel from Anne), and show repeats in a different sequence, so it's hard to predict when you'll be on again.
Did they let you know when you were going to be on? They used my weakest link clip on some TV documentary programme that some members of this forum watched but I never saw - called "How TV changed Britain".
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Did they let you know when you were going to be on?
For the original transmission, yes. For the repeat, as I said before, no.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Did they let you know when you were going to be on?
For the original transmission, yes. For the repeat, as I said before, no.
Is your game watchable online Phil (ie YouTube etc)?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Is your game watchable online Phil (ie YouTube etc)?
Apart from the brief clip of my winning moment plus assorted stills on my website, no (so far as I'm aware).
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kirk! You're on right now!
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Kirk! You're on right now!
Not anymore though... :twisted:
Frank
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Thanks for the tip-off, I lazily leave Escape to the Country on between the Eggheads shows currently. Kirk is blatantly a better name than Anne - and she knew it.

Come to think of it, I wonder if Kirk's musings subconsciously prompted my decision to put two pies into the oven for dinner...
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Frank Rodolf wrote:
Bad luck Kirky. ;) You were doing pretty well but the questions in round 3 didn't go your way, although not getting "tribe" was a bit of a shocker. :twisted: However, you were brilliant at answering Anne back - I wish more people would have a go.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Yeah - I couldn't believe that coincidence. Hope you enjoyed my stay. I was rubbish.
Frank Rodolf
Rookie

Post by Frank Rodolf »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Yeah - I couldn't believe that coincidence. Hope you enjoyed my stay. I was rubbish.
I can't imagine what might have been distracting you... ;)
Frank
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Frank Rodolf wrote:
Bad luck Kirky. ;) You were doing pretty well but the questions in round 3 didn't go your way, although not getting "tribe" was a bit of a shocker. :twisted: However, you were brilliant at answering Anne back - I wish more people would have a go.
Thanks mate. I can't do general knowledge - I went on for the laugh. I said "tree" as in "family tree" as I heard the word ancestor (enactors) mentioned. Oh well. Can't win 'em all.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I can't do general knowledge - I went on for the laugh.
At least you and Emma had plenty of time to get to know each better in the green room, as she was voted off not long after you. ;)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:I can't do general knowledge - I went on for the laugh.
At least you and Emma had plenty of time to get to know each better in the green room, as she was voted off not long after you. ;)
Oh we had a nice chat and even got the train back to Paddington together. She was stunning, as was a contestant on the previous show that I met in the hotel the night before. That was a late one....
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Oh we had a nice chat and even got the train back to Paddington together. She was stunning, as was a contestant on the previous show that I met in the hotel the night before. That was a late one....
Did she do the walk of shame the next morning?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Oh we had a nice chat and even got the train back to Paddington together. She was stunning, as was a contestant on the previous show that I met in the hotel the night before. That was a late one....
Did she do the walk of shame the next morning?
Haha. The backstage crew teased me about it saying there was a rumour I had got off with another contestant. Dunno how that came about.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:Did she do the walk of shame the next morning?
Or the "via pudendum" as it's known in Latin.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Anyone else collect classic stupid answers from WL? There was a great one a couple of days ago from a woman who was voted off unanimously at the end of Round 1 having got all her answers wrong. The best one was as follows:

Anne: In the correct spelling of the word 'iron', meaning a domestic appliance, what is the second letter?

Thick woman: Board.

My all-time favourite is from a couple of years ago when a young woman was asked: "The ancient road known as Watling Street, which forms part of what is now the A5, was originally built by which civilisation?" The contestant looked around, pursed her lips, shrugged her shoulders and then volunteered the answer:

"Apes?"

Any more?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Any more?
You should read the Dumb Britain column in Private Eye which collects these howlers from various quiz shows; answers from Weakest Link feature quite frequently, presumably due to Ann Robinson's habit of mumbling the questions/reading them too fast/mispronouncing words (all of which are made to look like the contestant's fault.) Anyway, my favourite from that column was "Which U is a mythical horse with a horn on its head?" to which the contestant replied, after some thought, "Errr... Zombie?"
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

Quite a few of these are from The Weakest Link:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Dumb_Britain

The one who thought Don Corleone was a recent president of Italy, and the idea of the Lord's Prayer containing the line "Howard be thy name" stand out.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Only a few weeks ago a painter from Ireland won the prize on Weakest Link. Forget his name, though.
Last edited by Eoin Monaghan on Wed May 27, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Filmed my show yesterday. It was amazing! Should be aired sometime around May. They'll let me know the precise date 2 weeks before. You'll have to wait til then to see how I do though. I never wrote a Countdown Experience but will have to do one for the Weakest Link while its still fresh in my brain, then post it when its aired. If anyone has any questions about being on the show I'd be happy to give my perspective without being spoilery.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Good luck, Dinos!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Filmed my show yesterday. It was amazing! Should be aired sometime around May.
Great to hear that and I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Sounds like you enjoyed the day whatever the outcome (which I think it would be pretty hard not to).
I never wrote a Countdown Experience but will have to do one for the Weakest Link while its still fresh in my brain, then post it when its aired.
Please do. And I challenge you to make it as detailed as mine!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Do you have a link to yours. I'd like a little looky-loo :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Do you have a link to yours. I'd like a little looky-loo :)
http://home.philreynolds.org.uk/games/link1.php
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

What he said.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Filmed my show yesterday. It was amazing! Should be aired sometime around May. They'll let me know the precise date 2 weeks before. You'll have to wait til then to see how I do though. I never wrote a Countdown Experience but will have to do one for the Weakest Link while its still fresh in my brain, then post it when its aired. If anyone has any questions about being on the show I'd be happy to give my perspective without being spoilery.
Looking forward to it Dinos - I mainly work from home so will be able to make time to watch it.

Pleased to hear it went well/

Cheers! Al
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Filmed my show yesterday. It was amazing! Should be aired sometime around May. They'll let me know the precise date 2 weeks before. You'll have to wait til then to see how I do though. I never wrote a Countdown Experience but will have to do one for the Weakest Link while its still fresh in my brain, then post it when its aired. If anyone has any questions about being on the show I'd be happy to give my perspective without being spoilery.
Been a while since you posted this, but I'm looking forward to this and hope you have done well :)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Cheers Jobester
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Cheers Jobester
I liked Jo-Bo (without out the hyphen) better :)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Got the letter today. The date is Thursday 16th April to make yourself present on your settee to watch BBC1 at 5.15 :) Will probably drop another reminder the day before and the day of the show, plus there will be facebook groups and possibly a status update every hour :D
kevin manthorpe
Rookie

Post by kevin manthorpe »

I look forward (more than usual) to watching. I've applied recently myself, though am reticent about letting you lot in on too much detail, haha. Mind you, were I to do any good, here is where I'd come first!

For those even remotely interested, I found Phil's journal fully informative (as recommended by Matt, see posts above). Read (all of) it!! :idea:
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Got the letter today. The date is Thursday 16th April to make yourself present on your settee to watch BBC1 at 5.15 :) Will probably drop another reminder the day before and the day of the show, plus there will be facebook groups and possibly a status update every hour :D
As the sole voter for you as C4C's inaugural Countdown Personality of the Year (despite you knocking out my first favourite beautiful contestant Marianne Rowntree*), I look forward to seeing your imminent return to our screens.

*Sorry Lisa and Karen if you're still here :)
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Looking forward to it Dinos.

I will be watching with keen interest to see how you deal with the 'Wicked Witch'.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

I'll be driving on the M25 at that time, so have set my Sky+ to record. Looking forward to watching
:)
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Derek Hazell wrote:As the sole voter for you as C4C's inaugural Countdown Personality of the Year...
Lol! I wondered who that was :) Cheers!
Allan Harmer wrote:I will be watching with keen interest to see how you deal with the 'Wicked Witch'.
Quite timidly I can assure you :cry:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'll be watching you too if I can, Dinos!

And no, I don't think Anne Robinson is wicked!