The Weakest Link

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Kirk Bevins
God

Re: The Weakest Link

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Allan Harmer wrote:I will be watching with keen interest to see how you deal with the 'Wicked Witch'.
Quite timidly I can assure you :cry:

What? You mean you never answered her back like I did? You've let me down Dinos.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

BUMP! Its tomorrow! :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:BUMP! Its tomorrow! :)
No it's not! It's today! Most moist.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:BUMP! Its tomorrow! :)
No it's not! It's today! Most moist.
Me too - I even have the afternoon off!

Although I had it off anyway, before I realized he would be on.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:I never wrote a Countdown Experience but will have to do one for the Weakest Link while its still fresh in my brain, then post it when its aired.
Did you do it? Where will it appear? Really looking forward to this afternoon - don't let me down... ;)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I've just put the TV on, good luck!
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Harsh stuff there, mind you I thought you'd get the kudos question right. At least you got the surface tension one right! Yeah, and you were pretty witty, nice one.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

S
p
o
i
l
e
r
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Commisserations Kostadinos, but well done for getting as far as 4th!

Also continued good luck with your bit on the side, Anne!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Derek Hazell wrote:Kostadinos
Awesome bit of Spanish Greek action there.

Yeah unlucky Dinos. Those gits sucked, you were far superior, which is always dangerous territory on that show.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

FUCK!

I can't remember when I was last so angry about someone being voted off. You'd done really well with the questions apart from one slightly dodgy round; you stayed focused; and you didn't keep wasting time asking for questions to be repeated like several of your team mates did. It was such blatant tactical voting; those two girls were both as thick as pig shit, and Marlon was a dickhead. You could tell that Anne was annoyed by them too.

Anyway, you came across really well and walked away with your head held high. Brilliant stuff - look forward to seeing the write-up!
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Phil Reynolds wrote:FUCK!

I can't remember when I was last so angry about someone being voted off. You'd done really well with the questions apart from one slightly dodgy round; you stayed focused; and you didn't keep wasting time asking for questions to be repeated like several of your team mates did. It was such blatant tactical voting; those two girls were both as thick as pig shit, and Marlon was a dickhead. You could tell that Anne was annoyed by them too.

Anyway, you came across really well and walked away with your head held high. Brilliant stuff - look forward to seeing the write-up!
I was going to make a post, but Phil's basically said everything I was going to.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:FUCK!

Indeed. A creditable performance, you would've taken any of them to the cleaners in the head-to-head.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Unlucky mate, that third-to-last round was a travesty and the two girls in the final were rampagingly shite. Moral victory better than no victory, or something.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Dinos, you were shafted!
Four times top player and then you get ambushed, hard luck mate, you were clearly the best player there.
I haven't seen the WL for a couple of years but I couldn't believe how pedestrian it has become, long pauses, repeat the question, what was that all about?
Good interaction with the wicked witch too.
Well done
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:I haven't seen the WL for a couple of years but I couldn't believe how pedestrian it has become, long pauses, repeat the question, what was that all about?
That's not indicative of some long-term trend in the show - it was just today's mostly shite contestants.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Well played Dinos! It was really cool to see you on TV and I thought you were great. I thought it was likely you would be tactically voted off at some point as you were clearly the best player left. I thought you came across as a really nice guy and I like the fact your final comment wasn't something bitter like "I hope Molly gets voted off, the stupid bitch" like a lot of people do.

I find the show really boring though, Escape to the Country is much better. Go on that too.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Wow, are contestants usually so astonishingly retarded? I'm with all the above on the tactical voting stuff, they could've at least just admitted it (there's not really much shame in saying "well only one of us can win, so I thought we should get rid of him", but to try and claim you thought "we're all as bad as each other" was a joke). The three left after Dinos went were awful, and I don't remember ever seeing so many repeated questions in a show (admittedly I haven't watched it in ages, but in my book asking for a question to be repeated is worse than just saying 'pass').

There seemed to be a fair bit of inconsistent question difficulty going on too, but I imagine that's hard to avoid (and obviously subjective anyway - what springs to mind is the book question Dinos got in the same round as 'what's the square root of 121?' round, which probably just betrays my ignorance of literature, but eh).

Edit: Oh yeah, to those who watch more often than me - was the prize money for this show abnormally low (£1200ish, I think)?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace wrote:There seemed to be a fair bit of inconsistent question difficulty going on too, but I imagine that's hard to avoid (and obviously subjective anyway - what springs to mind is the book question Dinos got in the same round as 'what's the square root of 121?' round, which probably just betrays my ignorance of literature, but eh).
Yes, that one was among today's tougher questions - I only knew it was Ian McEwan because I'd read On Chesil Beach on holiday last month and remembered the other titles from the blurb at the front. As you say, it's all subjective - questions about sports personalities are usually opaque to me.
was the prize money for this show abnormally low (£1200ish, I think)?
£1220, yeah. It's towards the lower end of the scale; typically the final prize money tends to be in the £2000-£2500 region, but I've seen winners go away with less than £800 and more than £4000.

I think I've mentioned before the rather ingenious banking strategy proposed by this study, which found that a simple rule of thumb (essentially, contestants bank each accumulated £200 in rounds 1-4, and after every correctly answered question in rounds 5-8) is statistically likely to yield a higher prize total in the majority of games than that actually achieved. If applied today, and all other things being equal, this strategy would have achieved an increase in total prize money of £460.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Just got in from karate where our sensei pretended to be John Robinson. Thanks for all the kind comments. I've had about 20 texts all along the same lines saying "You woz robbed!" and "ZOMG those girls were fick!" All sympathy gratefully received but at the end of the day it isn't solely a general knowledge quiz where the most studious are rewarded with a hefty sum. Its all about tactics. Cheese Factory Girl and Dumb midwife knew this, went in with a plan and subsequently came out on top. Nevertheless I had a great time filming and all the memories flooded back to me when I watched it back. I was totally fixated when viewing and when I got up my legs had locked, which also happened on the day as getting through the 1st round is a terrifying ordeal, especially when you get a soap question wrong others might consider easy. I was just glad that I came across well and my banter with Anne was not too humiliating! (we had chemistry lol :))
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:I never wrote a Countdown Experience but will have to do one for the Weakest Link while its still fresh in my brain, then post it when its aired.
Did you do it? Where will it appear?
Haven't written it yet. Hopefully will whip something up this weekend having relived it, and while people are still interested. Think I may rewatch it on iplayer to include all the juicy stats like you did, Phil, with a full breakdown of the players in the green room and voting strategems etc.

Hope you all enjoyed the show as much as I did

Dinos :)

Countdown episodes appeared in: 4
Position attained on the weakest link: 4th
Questions answered incorrectly: 4
Occasions on which I was the strongest link: 4

Hmmm maybe I should apply for some game shows where 4 is the optimum outcome!
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Hmmm maybe I should apply for some game shows where 4 is the optimum outcome!
You need a televisual version of Connect 4. Oh god, Jason'll probably be along in a minute to tell us there already is one in America. Apologies in advance.

And just to echo what everyone else has said, you wuz robbed mate. I can't remember a more larcenous outcome since sexy hypnotist Amy Godel was on and that was ages ago (although to be fair, I don't catch it all that often).
Jacob Sutton
Rookie

Post by Jacob Sutton »

Just watched this now - you were easily the best player there and a victim of some cruel 'tactical' voting, even if whathisface in the 'grandma' top came up with every possible excuse besides this. I don't normally watch the show but was pretty frustrated when they voted you off and then didn't have the gaul to be honest about why they were doing it!

Well played and unlucky

Jay
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Think I may rewatch it on iplayer to include all the juicy stats like you did, Phil
Please do! I'll feel slightly less of a saddo if at least one other person in netland has done this. I'll be interested to hear how, if at all, things have changed on the show in the five and a half years since I was on.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I did think you were the best, Dinos. As you say, 'tactical' voting isn't against the rules, it's part of the game.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

I agree with all of the above Dino, bad luck mate.
Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Countdown episodes appeared in: 4
Position attained on the weakest link: 4th
Questions answered incorrectly: 4
Occasions on which I was the strongest link: 4

Hmmm maybe I should apply for some game shows where 4 is the optimum outcome!
Make sure it's a game show then and not the drama 'Skins' :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Daydreamt dialogue:

Drew Carey: "Dinos, you had the watches, the dining room set and the trip to Spain. You bid $13,999. Actual retail price -- $14003. YOU'RE OFF BY $4! YOU'RE A DOUBLE SHOWCASE WINNER! Nice job, Dinos! Dinos has won $38,666 worth of prizes today!"
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

I think you must have banked nearly all their money too Dinos. They should call a Stewards' Enquiry on this one.

At least you join a jost of top quizzers who have been voted off tactically. I think Daphne and CJ from the Eggheads suffered similar fates as you, so no disgrace at all. As everyone else has rightly said, you were the strongest link by a country mile.

Tracey came across as a nasty ignorant piece of work and was a retard to boot. Molly was just a retard, which she freely admitted in her closing speech.

Well done mate.
Last edited by Allan Harmer on Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I've actually added both Molly Davies and Tracey Fleming on facebook (giving the surnames here in case you feel like hounding them). I dread to think how they reacted if they saw the stream of personal attacks on them by people on my profile page :P
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

I'd have asked Molly out.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Well done. As others have said, you put in a great performance, and were most definitely robbed.
I was proud of you.
:)
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Chris Corby wrote:Make sure it's a game show then and not the drama 'Skins' :)
Would jew believe, it's taken me all night to get that joke!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Chris Corby wrote:Make sure it's a game show then and not the drama 'Skins' :)
Would jew believe, it's taken me all night to get that joke!
This must be yet another reincarnation of Richard Brittain! :o Come forward and tell The Truth!
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Phil Reynolds wrote: those two girls were both as thick as pig shit!
I'll add my IAWTP to the others, and this is exactly the phrase I screamed at my TV set when I watched it this morning.

I reckon Dinos suffered because he appeared to be the only intelligent player there, and so was eliminated.
Usually there's at least 2 or 3 halfway decent brains there, so it's not so obvious.
Commiserations, Dinos, but unfortunately that's how WL works. You took it well. :(
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Kai Laddiman wrote:This must be yet another reincarnation of Richard Brittain! :o Come forward and tell The Truth!
From the smallest gandiseeg, wise Kais grow.

But actually no, I've never met Richard Brittain, although I did briefly work with his former rival Andrew Blades.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Julie T wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:those two girls were both as thick as pig shit!
You've attributed an exclamation mark to me that I didn't use. I think this is called Gross Larseny.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Julie T wrote:
You've attributed an exclamation mark to me that I didn't use. I think this is called Gross Larseny.
Hmmm, you did.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Just watched it on iPlayer - very unlucky dinos.
I always thought your name was pronounced 'd-eye-nos' (not in an offensive way.)

You should have won.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Julie T wrote:
Sorry, Phil!!!!! ;)

I picked out the line, deleting the rest of your post in the quote, but left in the end exclamation mark by mistake:
Phil Reynolds wrote: Brilliant stuff - look forward to seeing the write-up!
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:I always thought your name was pronounced 'd-eye-nos' (not in an offensive way.)
:o Slander!
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Julie T wrote:
Nice distinction, Phil:
those two girls were both as thick as pig shit
is a bald statement of undeniable fact. Much more telling than
those two girls were both as thick as pig shit!
which is a mere expression of annoyance.

Pig shit is actually on the runny side, but I wouldn't want to initiate a discussion of competitve thickness. Two short planks have always served me very well.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Didn't one of the people in their closing speech call him 'Dino'?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Michael Wallace wrote:Didn't one of the people in their closing speech call him 'Dino'?
Yeh, it sounded like 'Deano'.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Ian Dent wrote:I'd have asked Molly out.
I'd have asked her out for a fight.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I got so annoyed with Tracey asking for questions to be repeated and I can't believe her and Molly stayed on. Molly was fit though.

Your walk-off speech was cheesy as hell, mentioning "chemistry" and "bond". You geek.

Edit: Just watched the final. "Question: .....who developed calculus? Answer: Calculus." Brilliant. Also in one round when Dinos was still in, the camera cut to Dinos when they were writing the weakest link on their board and Dinos clearly picks up the pen from the tray, doesn't take the lid off and then pretends to write with the lid still on! The camera shows the lid is still on the pen! I'm surprised they didn't use a different shot or ask Dinos to take the bloody lid off to pretend to write!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Didn't one of the people in their closing speech call him 'Dino'?
Yeh, it sounded like 'Deano'.
That was Ian IIRC. I thought he said Dino as in the Flintstone's Dino :P
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote: Edit: Just watched the final. "Question: .....who developed calculus? Answer: Calculus."
Hahaha, that was great. I think she actually said something like "Calculios", so she couldn't even repeat the word from the question correctly.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote: Edit: Just watched the final. "Question: .....who developed calculus? Answer: Calculus."
Hahaha, that was great. I think she actually said something like "Calculios", so she couldn't even repeat the word from the question correctly.
Sounded like 'Calcula' to me.

(I'm not really sure I'm adding anything to this discussion)
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Unlucky Dinos. I have nothing to add to what's already been said- you were clearly the best player there, so it was almost inevitable that you'd be voted off. I thought they might give you a little bit of hope by waiting one more round though.
Also, you might like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_Diagram ;)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Your walk-off speech was cheesy as hell, mentioning "chemistry" and "bond". You geek.
It sounded as if he was forced to say it, not his actual opinion.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Your walk-off speech was cheesy as hell, mentioning "chemistry" and "bond". You geek.
It sounded like he'd prepared it himself to me. I thought it was great.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Do you think you'll have better luck, Dinos?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Dinos clearly picks up the pen from the tray, doesn't take the lid off and then pretends to write with the lid still on!
Haha yeah I remember doing that now. I put my pen down as soon as I'd written down my vote, but then remembered what they'd said about pretending to write so I picked it back up but didn't bother with the lid.
Neil Zussman wrote:Also, you might like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_Diagram ;)
Cheers Neil. Although I'm kinda glad Anne cut me off 'cause under the spotlight I feel I would have sold short the beautiful intricacies of the Venn! :)
Michael Wallace wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:
It sounded like he'd prepared it himself to me. I thought it was great.
Absolutely rehearsed yes :P I used it in the audition too and it got a laugh, so I thought why not! Better than some bitter tirade about how nobody left deserved to win.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Would it have changed if some of the contestants were a lot nicer, Dinos?

If so, how?
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Just watched the taped programme this afternoon.

Did you notice they kept on doing rear view shots of Molly? I can't believe she went 2 rounds without answering a question right and yet Dinos gets voted off.

Dinos - the stats show you were clearly the best player. This was surely a case of 3 people hatching a plan beforehand??

Who was the guy who was voted off after you? I think his name was Marlon. He looked shocked - clearly a case of the women having the final say at the end.

Well done Dinos - you were the moral victor.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

So, Dinos, what did you really think?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Philip Jarvis wrote:Just watched the taped programme this afternoon.

Did you notice they kept on doing rear view shots of Molly? I can't believe she went 2 rounds without answering a question right and yet Dinos gets voted off.

Dinos - the stats show you were clearly the best player. This was surely a case of 3 people hatching a plan beforehand??

Who was the guy who was voted off after you? I think his name was Marlon. He looked shocked - clearly a case of the women having the final say at the end.

Well done Dinos - you were the moral victor.
The girls were the only plan-hatchers. Marlon was just too dim to see they'd voted the same way EVERY round and would get rid of him next. Caught the tube with him back to London st Pancras and he felt very hard done by. He seemed like a nice guy but he honestly thought he should have won :roll:
Jason Larsen wrote:Would it have changed if some of the contestants were a lot nicer, Dinos?

If so, how?
You can speculate on ifs and buts til the cows come home, Jason. eg If I'd voted Tracey instead of Phillip in the first round as I'd originally intended then Tracey would have been first off and who knows what would have happened. My number also nearly came up in round 4 when I got 2 tough questions wrong so I was lucky to stay then so luck swings both ways. In the end I had a great experience and all my family and friends were pleased with my performance and very supportive and I couldn't ask for much more than that! :) (Except maybe the prize money :twisted: )
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

So, we'll never know, Dinos.

I'm glad you're happy!
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Dinos Sfyris wrote: If I'd voted Tracey instead of Phillip in the first round as I'd originally intended then Tracey would have been first off and who knows what would have happened. My number also nearly came up in round 4 when I got 2 tough questions wrong so I was lucky to stay then so luck swings both ways. In the end I had a great experience and all my family and friends were pleased with my performance and very supportive and I couldn't ask for much more than that! :) (Except maybe the prize money :twisted: )
You certainly had rotten luck, Dinos. I don't think I've ever known there to be so many utterly dumb candidates on WL - by the skin of their teeth one question each in the final round! - but they also had the best organised voting-you-off machine I've ever encountered.

So what's next?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

People like that shouldn't even be considered to be contestants!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote:People like that shouldn't even be considered to be contestants!
Oi. It's good to have a wide mix of abilities.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Finally got round to watching it... well only up to the end of round six.

Well done Dinos, you certainly outperformed all the other contestants, and stood up to Anne better then most I've ever seen. You were definitely unlucky to be voted off.