The Crystal Maze

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

The Crystal Maze

Post by James Robinson »

One of the best game shows of the 1990's is returning!!! (Well, sort of.....) ;) :) :D :mrgreen:

The Crystal Maze is returning, but not on the TV, instead it's being rebuilt in Central London. Even Richard O'Brien is getting involved :!: :!: :shock: :o 8-)

For all the info you need, click here.
Peter Clarke
Rookie

Re: The Crystal Maze

Post by Peter Clarke »

Love love LOVE the Crystal Maze! I love Fort Boyard too, both childhood memories.

Some people say how rubbish the contestants can be. Yes to some, but I reckon it's harder than it looks there because all names to them are new so they have to figure out hard and quick what to do. Also nerves can get the better of them. There were a few incidents where I thought 'what the fuck?!' though.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

It would've been good to see it back on the box on Challenge or Channel 4.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

By the way, while I liked the crystal maze, the end bit was a complete anti-climax. It was shit.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:By the way, while I liked the crystal maze, the end bit was a complete anti-climax. It was shit.
It was great for play-along-at-home-ability. I used to fucking ace it with the gold ones every time.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:By the way, while I liked the crystal maze, the end bit was a complete anti-climax. It was shit.
I used to have a theory about this but was a bit too young to go on the Richard O'Brien ones and yet felt a bit too old to go on the later ones, but basically it boiled down to getting more than one contestant into the Crystal Dome (preferably three or more though, obviously). Then you'd just have one contestant sitting by the tube (or whatever it was you put the tickets in) who would be given all the tickets, reject the silver ones and post the gold ones. Always seemed really obvious to me but I can't remember any team doing it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:
I used to have a theory about this but was a bit too young to go on the Richard O'Brien ones and yet felt a bit too old to go on the later ones, but basically it boiled down to getting more than one contestant into the Crystal Dome (preferably three or more though, obviously). Then you'd just have one contestant sitting by the tube (or whatever it was you put the tickets in) who would be given all the tickets, reject the silver ones and post the gold ones. Always seemed really obvious to me but I can't remember any team doing it.
I never thought of that but then again I considered that round beneath thinking about. Except that I always thought that when deciding whether to unlock someone, they should always maximise players × crystals. It's all about the man hours.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Peter Clarke wrote:Love love LOVE the Crystal Maze! I love Fort Boyard too, both childhood memories.

Some people say how rubbish the contestants can be. Yes to some, but I reckon it's harder than it looks there because all names to them are new so they have to figure out hard and quick what to do. Also nerves can get the better of them. There were a few incidents where I thought 'what the fuck?!' though.
Love the Crystal Maze too, specially in R O'B's era. The game I used to really shout at the contestants on though, was the one with 8 discs, either 1-8 or A-H which had to go on a connected grid without having two adjacent numbers or letters linked. It was so obvious which 2 discs went in the middle where there were most 'arms' and once they were in place the others could be put in really easily, but hardly anyone ever realised. One of the team told them on at least one occasion but the player still didn't do it! Grrrr :-)
Peter Clarke
Rookie

Post by Peter Clarke »

Philip Wilson wrote:
Peter Clarke wrote:Love love LOVE the Crystal Maze! I love Fort Boyard too, both childhood memories.

Love the Crystal Maze too, specially in R O'B's era. The game I used to really shout at the contestants on though, was the one with 8 discs, either 1-8 or A-H which had to go on a connected grid without having two adjacent numbers or letters linked. It was so obvious which 2 discs went in the middle where there were most 'arms' and once they were in place the others could be put in really easily, but hardly anyone ever realised. One of the team told them on at least one occasion but the player still didn't do it! Grrrr :-)
I know yeah. There was one incident where a guy had to put weights on 4 pads. There was a metal bar and weights. One weight had a 2 written on it, one had 1 written on it and 2 weights had 1/2 written on it. You had to put the bar on across two of the pads. It became pretty obvious that the 2 weight goes on the bar as the pads take "1" each (no more or less). So the 1 goes on a pad, and both halves on another pad. No one in the team discovered it until it was too late!
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Yeah I remember that game looking easy enough, but there were also many really difficult ones, like the one with discs they had to blow into holders and the one with the 4 different colours of water that had to go to the correct place. I think I only saw that one done once!
Peter Clarke
Rookie

Post by Peter Clarke »

Philip Wilson wrote:Yeah I remember that game looking easy enough, but there were also many really difficult ones, like the one with discs they had to blow into holders and the one with the 4 different colours of water that had to go to the correct place. I think I only saw that one done once!
Ah yeah I remember those! In the water one, there was actually a diagram of the correct solution in the room. The person that won the challenge was the only person to notice it, since the diagram was at the back of the room.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Peter Clarke wrote:
Philip Wilson wrote:Yeah I remember that game looking easy enough, but there were also many really difficult ones, like the one with discs they had to blow into holders and the one with the 4 different colours of water that had to go to the correct place. I think I only saw that one done once!
Ah yeah I remember those! In the water one, there was actually a diagram of the correct solution in the room. The person that won the challenge was the only person to notice it, since the diagram was at the back of the room.
I didn't realise that, just thought whoever did it got lucky!
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

There was another game involving weights, just seen it again on Challenge. There are 5 hooks, up to 4 units distant from the balance pointer at the centre of the scales, and 5 weights of varying units. Instructions are to multiply distance by weight. It's pretty easy to work out what you need on both sides to balance the scales but maybe not with the cameras on you!