THE MILLION POUND DROP

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Steven M. McCann
Devotee

THE MILLION POUND DROP

Post by Steven M. McCann »

They decided they wanted tonights couple to win a nice sum of money, so for £75,000, which is the bigger amount, the number of ICELAND UK Supermarket employees or the number of ICELAND the country Citizens?
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Re: THE MILLION POUND DROP

The answer, ICELAND UK Supermarket employees... 25,000
ICELAND the country Citizens ......319,000.
Despite Davinas protestations, it was a ludicrously easy question for the sum involved.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

You seem to be the only person who watches these shit shows and then you complain about them. If they annoy you so much how about just not watching them?
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

This is getting ridiculous, why don't they just give them the money and not bother with any questions!, for £100,000 who has the most followers on Twitter, COLDPLAY or GWYNETH PALTROW?
What's next, who's richer, Dame Helen Mirren or The Queen?
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Steven M. McCann wrote:This is getting ridiculous, why don't they just give them the money and not bother with any questions!, for £100,000 who has the most followers on Twitter, COLDPLAY or GWYNETH PALTROW?
What's next, who's richer, Dame Helen Mirren or The Queen?
You clearly have very impressive knowledge of twitter followers. I would have guessed Coldplay, but I was far from certain.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

What was the answer to the Helen Mirren v The Queen one?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

genuinely have no idea coldplay or paltrow, seems like a tough question to me.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

12 million+ COLDPLAY, just under 2 million GWYNETH PALTROW.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Fred Mumford wrote:What was the answer to the Helen Mirren v The Queen one?
The Queen has an estimated net worth of some $500 million, whereas Helen Mirren has just over 300,000 followers on Twitter.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Susie Dent was on it tonight partnering Joe Wilkinson.
For those who didn't see it, the question that sunk them was....... who's the richest? Cheryl Cole, Daniel Radcliffe or Andy Murray.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

The last question of the series, for £125,000, has there been more male winners or female winners of the X Factor?
A perfect example of a question "loaded", for the player to get the correct answer!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Steven M. McCann wrote:The last question of the series, for £125,000, has there been more male winners or female winners of the X Factor?
A perfect example of a question "loaded", for the player to get the correct answer!
Surely that question would need clarification on Little Mix. If we count them as 4 female winners then the answer is more female winners. But if we count them as one female winner then the answer is more male winners. Please clear this up, we're dying to know.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

That was my point, Ryan, about the question been "loaded", I'm sure most people would have said female, knowing there were 4 in Little Mix!
The answer was 6 males & 7 females (including the Little Mix 4).
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Haven't seen the show, but on the face of it that sort of deliberate ambiguity sounds unforgiveable.

At least every time Richard Osman fucks up Formula One questions on Pointless you can put it down to lack of knowledge rather than a deliberate attempt to cause confusion.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Steven M. McCann wrote:That was my point, Ryan, about the question been "loaded", I'm sure most people would have said female, knowing there were 4 in Little Mix!
The answer was 6 males & 7 females (including the Little Mix 4).
I may be naive, but I fail to accept that they deliberately set a question with 2 options that were both "correct" depending on whichever way the contestant went. Surely the production company (Endemol?) wouldn't leave themselves open to that? If so, the show is even more atrocious than I first thought.

(By "loaded" I thought you meant tailored towards their interests so that they would definitely know the answer).
Dave Nicholson

Post by Dave Nicholson »

"In the main series of the UK 'X Factor', if you include solo winners and and all individual members of winning groups, which of these is true?" - Davina emphasised "if you include as well"

Surely you can only interpret that as ambiguous if you're trying really hard to get wound up over a TV quiz show?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Dave Nicholson wrote:"In the main series of the UK 'X Factor', if you include solo winners and and all individual members of winning groups, which of these is true?" - Davina emphasised "if you include as well"

Surely you can only interpret that as ambiguous if you're trying really hard to get wound up over a TV quiz show?
If that was the wording of the question then there is definitely only one answer to that. Thanks Dave. Steven, your posts suggest that you somehow think the whole world conspires against you in any situation.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

This doesn't now mean that I should be more wound up by Richard Osman than by Davina McCall does it?

What a ridiculous state of affairs. I refuse.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Dave's proved my point, (that the producers wanted to finish the series with the players winning) the fact that Davina emphasised "if you include as well individual members of winning groups" made the players think, has a group won?
Here's another example of a "loaded" question, imagine you know nothing about football (maybe you don't!) what would your answer be to, Which team has won the FA Cup the most times NEWCASTLE UNITED or CHELSEA?
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

In fact, as a test, ask your family and friends the FA Cup question!
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Also try "Which team won the FA Cup three times in the '80s?"

Most people struggle to get that one right even within 10 guesses.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Steven M. McCann wrote:Dave's proved my point, (that the producers wanted to finish the series with the players winning) the fact that Davina emphasised "if you include as well individual members of winning groups" made the players think, has a group won?
Here's another example of a "loaded" question, imagine you know nothing about football (maybe you don't!) what would your answer be to, Which team has won the FA Cup the most times NEWCASTLE UNITED or CHELSEA?
I don't think that's an obvious one at all (if that is what you mean by a "loaded" question). I think you're implying that most people would answer Chelsea because all of their wins are more recent (and they would be correct, it's Chelsea 7, Newcastle 6 on the all-time list). However, I don't think that's true; a lot of people would go for Newcastle because they'd think it was a trick question.
Steven M. McCann wrote:In fact, as a test, ask your family and friends the FA Cup question!
if I could be bothered to do this, I think it would come out about 50:50.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Steven M. McCann wrote:That was my point, Ryan, about the question been "loaded", I'm sure most people would have said female, knowing there were 4 in Little Mix!
This is your problem Steven. You assume everyone will know who the fuck won X Factor. I'm pretty good at quizzes, I usually finish in the top three in every pub quiz I take part in but I wouldn't have had a clue to the answer to that question. I've heard of Little Mix but I wouldn't have known they won the thing.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Steven M. McCann wrote:In fact, as a test, ask your family and friends the FA Cup question!
Just asked my dad, he loves football and in fact was a football manager for years and he answered Newcastle.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Mark, my point is, you would be more inclined to say female rather than male, as the answer to the question, If you KNEW for a fact, a group with 4 females in it, had won it.
I'm not assuming everyone knows who won X Factor, but I'm assuming most of the ones who knew Little Mix had won it, would have said female for the answer to the question!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

I'd imagine that the wording of the question would tend to sway most ordinary mortals towards the wrong answer because the success of boy bands like JLS and Wand Erection makes people forget that they weren't actually winners of the series. As Chris Tarrant used to say, it's only easy if you know the answer.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Steven M. McCann wrote:Mark, my point is, you would be more inclined to say female rather than male, as the answer to the question, If you KNEW for a fact, a group with 4 females in it, had won it.
I'm not assuming everyone knows who won X Factor, but I'm assuming most of the ones who knew Little Mix had won it, would have said female for the answer to the question!
So you're point is if you know the correct answer you're more likely to give the correct answer? I'll alert the media.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Here's a question they can use when they return..........
Who's the older William Shatner (Captain Kirk) or Leonard Nimoy (Mr Spock)?