The Deal Or No Deal "Red Light" indicators?

For all TV game shows, past, present and future, apart from the main event.

Moderators: JackHurst, Lesley Hines

Steven M. McCann
Devotee

The Deal Or No Deal "Red Light" indicators?

Post by Steven M. McCann »

I can just imagine the producers analysing a players "Red Light" data, so they'll have a very good idea how much to offer them, when it's their turn to play the game.
Not that they need to,I'm convinced that by the end of a players "hotel stay", the producers would know absolutely everything about them.
Another thing, why does Edmonds get so animated about BOX 23? the only ones who seem to bother with it, are the ones who have won feck all in the regular game!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: The Deal Or No Deal "Red Light" indicators?

Post by Jon Corby »

What's this? Is it about prostitution?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

This means nothing to me.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Oh Vienna.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

For anyone who hasn't watched the show recently, players now have a "Red Light", which they can turn on if they are happy with "The Banker's" offer and are prepared to do business! (I'm beginning to see the analogy).
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Players whose go it isn't?
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Correct Gavin, I should have made that clearer.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

No doubt, armed with all the information they had about her, Edmonds/Banker really rubbed today's players nose in it!
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

So how does the prostitution come into it? Is there much lezzing up? It certainly sounds like an improvement on the format since last I saw it.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

JimBentley wrote:Is there much lezzing up?
Not if it's a one-box game.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Jon Corby wrote:
JimBentley wrote:Is there much lezzing up?
Not if it's a one-box game.
FFS xD
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Yesterdays game (April 27th) had to be seen to be believed,
the player had 1,000 & 100,000 left in his last two boxes, gets offered 30,000 and still manages to go home with NOTHING!
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

I don't believe it.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Steven M. McCann wrote:Yesterdays game (April 27th) had to be seen to be believed,
the player had 1,000 & 100,000 left in his last two boxes, gets offered 30,000 and still manages to go home with NOTHING!
I didn't see it but I still believe you. What I can't believe is that people still watch this show.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Steven M. McCann wrote:Yesterdays game (April 27th) had to be seen to be believed,
I haven't seen this for years but wouldn't he have to have got one of £1000, £30,000 or £100,000?
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

^ They've added this new thing now where, after the final box, you can choose to gamble what you wound up with on "Box 23," which either doubles what you won, halves it, adds ten grand to it, leaves it unchanged, or takes it all.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Mark Deeks wrote:^ They've added this new thing now where, after the final box, you can choose to gamble what you wound up with on "Box 23," which either doubles what you won, halves it, adds ten grand to it, leaves it unchanged, or takes it all.
Hmm. How do they decide what goes in it then? Is this explicitly stated? If it's random, surely it would be better to have boxes A, B, C, D to pick from to demonstrate this?
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Today (April 30th) the 2,500th show was being celebrated, but the party went a bit flat when the player ended up with just 1p, however, he decided to "buy" box 23 with the 1p and would you believe it? box 23 had the +£10,000 in it! and the studio went wild and everyone lived happily ever after!
As Harry Hill would say "what are the chances!"
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Jon Corby wrote:
Mark Deeks wrote:^ They've added this new thing now where, after the final box, you can choose to gamble what you wound up with on "Box 23," which either doubles what you won, halves it, adds ten grand to it, leaves it unchanged, or takes it all.
Hmm. How do they decide what goes in it then? Is this explicitly stated? If it's random, surely it would be better to have boxes A, B, C, D to pick from to demonstrate this?
I don't know. I don't watch it. But if they did it that way, they wouldn't have the catchy "box 23" name that works well after thousands of shows all built around the endless repetition of the phrase "22 boxes", so I doubt it was ever on the cards.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark Deeks wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
I don't know. I don't watch it. But if they did it that way, they wouldn't have the catchy "box 23" name that works well after thousands of shows all built around the endless repetition of the phrase "22 boxes", so I doubt it was ever on the cards.
I think it would be better if they just had one box from the start that could have any amount in. The dealer offers them something. Yes or no, and it's done inside a minute. Great TV.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Yeah. Or, they could just award the person a random amount of money picked out at random. Perhaps by a machine that selected random balls with numbers on them. Almost like a lottery, if you will.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Call me a cynic, but I think the +£10,000 is put in box 23 as a kind of insurance policy for players the producers like who look like going home with very little.
April 29th's game was a perfect example,Michelle, charming girl, ended up with just £1,500, refused to "buy" box 23 and missed out on adding £10,000 to her winnings!
I have to say, player number 2,500 gave the impression he knew the producers wouldn't want him going away with a tiny amount on such a landmark episode.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Steven M. McCann wrote:Call me a cynic, but I think the +£10,000 is put in box 23 as a kind of insurance policy for players the producers like who look like going home with very little.
If they're going to do that, why don't they just rig the original box?
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Doing it this way (putting +£10,000 in box 23) is safer than say sticking £50,000 in the players original box and hoping they'll deal for £10,000 when there's 5 boxes left.
Plus player's are prone to "swap" their boxes.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

So box 23 only appears after the game? That's extremely fishy.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Today's (May 2nd) player resembles a young Michele Pfeiffer, worth watching for that alone!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Jon Corby wrote:So box 23 only appears after the game? That's extremely fishy.
It's in the studio throughout - high on a plinth where most people can't reach it.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
It's in the studio throughout - high on a plinth where most people can't reach it.
So about 8 feet up? I think most people could probably reach 7 feet when you consider their outstretched arm and standing on tiptoes. Are they allowed to jump?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:
So about 8 feet up? I think most people could probably reach 7 feet when you consider their outstretched arm and standing on tiptoes. Are they allowed to jump?
I don't know, but the 'pilgrim of the day' who fetches the box is usually quite tall.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Rhys Benjamin wrote:I don't know, but the 'pilgrim of the day' who fetches the box is usually quite tall.
'Pilgrim of the day'? They should've called them the 'Choice Pilgrim' and got a cheese company to sponsor it.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
So how is it being suggested that "they" tamper with the contents depending on how the game is going? Or is that not the suggestion?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
So how is it being suggested that "they" tamper with the contents depending on how the game is going? Or is that not the suggestion?
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Since they started this at the beginning of the year, I was wondering what's the most anyone has "bought" Box 23 for? (I doubt if it was anything more than £2,000).
Also, I was wondering how many times each one of the five Box 23 options have appeared?
One last thing, does Noel Edmonds seriously believe, that there's any chance of someone who's just won a serious amount of money (say £50,000) risking losing all of it (or even half of it), in an attempt to double it to £100,000 or add £10,000 to it!
It just ain't going to happen Noel!
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Steven M. McCann wrote:One last thing, does Noel Edmonds seriously believe, that there's any chance of someone who's just won a serious amount of money (say £50,000) risking losing all of it (or even half of it), in an attempt to double it to £100,000 or add £10,000 to it!
It just ain't going to happen Noel!
I think Noel's reached a place where he can believe pretty much anything, to be honest. He's not quite reached the place that David Icke found but he's well on the way.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

I see Noel and the stooges, sorry players, are going to be dressed up as Superheros all this week, one question, why??????????????????????????
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Steven M. McCann wrote:I see Noel and the stooges, sorry players, are going to be dressed up as Superheros all this week, one question, why??????????????????????????
I'm pretty sure the 'one question' is 'Deal or No Deal?', they explain that in like, every show.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Today's (May20th) "lucky" player has just defied odds of 230/1, to take out the top two amounts, in his first two box openings!
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

BOX 23 has now had the +£10,000 in it, 4 times in the last 8 games!
How dare anyone suggest it could be FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Yawn! the +£10,000 was in BOX 23 yet again today (May26th) the 6th time in 2weeks!
Seems like the producers are determined to encourage people to "buy" BOX 23 with decent winnings, rather than the usual peanuts!
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Father's Day on DOND and wouldn't it be AMAZING, if today's player, (a Dad with a lowly paid "worthy" job) had the £250,000 in his box!
What a surprise! he did! unfortunately by then he had already "dealt" at £15,000 with 3 boxes left (he'd very nearly dealt at £3,000 earlier!)
Just for good measure BOX 23 had the +£10,000 in it, yet again!
The Producers certainly KNOW their players!
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

When yesterday's (July 15th) player had 5 boxes left, with £250,000-£15,000-£500-£10 & 10p. in them, I reckoned he was going to get an offer from the Banker of around £25K.
I was badly wrong, he was only offered £12,500!
I was then genuinely expecting the other players would urge our chap to continue on, pointing out that £12,500 was not that great an offer, considering the amounts still left, but instead, amazingly (cajoled by Edmonds) 20 out of the 21 pressed their red buttons, indicating that they would take the £12,500! (Gutless sheep!)
The player dealt for £12,500, the £250,000 then came out in the first of the 5 boxes opened, much to Edmonds delight, giving him the chance to mock the one player, who would have had the balls to go on!.
The player actually had £15,000 in his box, he then turned down Box23 which would have doubled his £12,500 to £25,000.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

"Chatty Man" Alan Carr was playing today (Oct 12th) for charity,go on, have a wild guess what the "Independent Adjudicator" put in his box?
To absolutely nobody's surprise (apart from Alan,that is, who "dealt" at £26,000) it was would you believe it, the £250,000!
If he'd had the courage to open Box23 (he didn't) he could have added (yet again to nobody's surprise) another £10,000.
So yet another couple of blows, to the handful of people who still think this games random!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Steven M. McCann wrote:"Chatty Man" Alan Carr was playing today (Oct 12th) for charity,go on, have a wild guess what the "Independent Adjudicator" put in his box?
To absolutely nobody's surprise (apart from Alan,that is, who "dealt" at £26,000) it was would you believe it, the £250,000!
If he'd had the courage to open Box23 (he didn't) he could have added (yet again to nobody's surprise) another £10,000.
So yet another couple of blows, to the handful of people who still think this games random!
There have been other celebrity episodes though, right? You have a Daily Mail-like understanding of probability and hyperbole.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

There must be a DOND equivalent of this forum (or, rather, the countdown wiki) which keeps stats of all shows right? Your theory would be pretty easily proved by some simple analysis. Do it!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:There must be a DOND equivalent of this forum (or, rather, the countdown wiki) which keeps stats of all shows right? Your theory would be pretty easily proved by some simple analysis. Do it!
If you find that site I'm happy to (ask Michael Wallace how to) do the analysis.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

There was one quite a few years back. That's all the information I'm good for.