Last night I was at a quiz and...

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Last night I was at a quiz and...

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I know a lot of people from c4c enjoy a quiz every once in a while. So I'd like to hear a question (that you got wrong) from quiz nights that you have just been to:

So, last night I was at a quiz and I didn't know what this flag signalled in Formula 1:

Feel free to answer below and once answered someone else can post a question from a quiz they went to.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Last night I was at a quiz and...

Post by Matt Morrison »

I don't watch F1 so literally have no idea. I'm guessing from your surprise it's not that rare, so my stab in the dark is a warning for pit lane infringements?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:I don't watch F1 so literally have no idea. I'm guessing from your surprise it's not that rare, so my stab in the dark is a warning for pit lane infringements?
Wrong. Although we did get 4 options WWTBAM.
  • A) Drivers return to pits
    B) Unsportsmanlike conduct
    C) Oil on track
    D) Move aside to allow a pass
I reckon it's fairly rare but perfectly fine to be included in a quiz as I think F1 flags and their meanings is quite a good thing to know about. I'm interested to see if Gevby or Rhys know without looking up and if they encounter it much in their F1 watching.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

It's B I think, with a number alongside when it is shown. A question I've asked in the past is to describe all 10/11 flags that are in use.

A question that bugged me at the last quiz I took part in:

Which city does Miller beer come from?

I said the correct answer immediately, but my team ignored me, and I wasn't sure enough to argue.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I don't watch F1 so literally have no idea. I'm guessing from your surprise it's not that rare, so my stab in the dark is a warning for pit lane infringements?
    C) Oil on track
I reckon it's fairly rare but perfectly fine to be included in a quiz as I think F1 flags and their meanings is quite a good thing to know about. I'm interested to see if Gevby or Rhys know without looking up and if they encounter it much in their F1 watching.
C is (I think) black & yellow and D is blue so it's neither of them, I'd probably go with B as well.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:Which city does Miller beer come from?
Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I think I know that from some obscure UFC reference, or something.
Isn't their baseball/hockey/football team called the Brewers as well?

I don't go to quizzes any more so nothing to offer. If I think of something I'll post it...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Oh I know, only because I was mentioning it to someone before.

So this is sentence case.
And This Is Title Case.
AND THIS IS UPPERCASE.
and this is lowercase.

ButWhatIsThisCaseCalled?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

One we had once (it's probably 12 years or so since we stopped doing the pub quiz, so this was before everyone had internet on their phones) was "true or false - The children's programme Captain Pugwash contained characters called Seaman Stains and Master Bates". We had a big discussion about whether we should put 'true' since the myth was so widespread, but decided in the end that we simply had to put the correct answer. Quizmaster said True. We lost, by 1 point, to a team that had answered True. We were not happy, and came the next week armed with proof, but he just said "meh, there's nothing I can do about it now". Wanker.
Last edited by Jon Corby on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:Oh I know, only because I was mentioning it to someone before.

So this is sentence case.
And This Is Title Case.
AND THIS IS UPPERCASE.
and this is lowercase.

ButWhatIsThisCaseCalled?
It's called Camel Case, after Dr Kenneth Camel who invented it.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:One we had once (it's probably 12 years or so since we stopped doing the pub quiz, so this was before everyone had internet on their phones) was "rrue or false - The children's programme Captain Pugwash contained characters called Seaman Stains and Master Bates". We had a big discussion about whether we should put 'true' since the myth was so widespread, but decided in the end that we simply had to put the correct answer. Quizmaster said True. We lost, by 1 point, to a team that had answered True. We were not happy, and came the next week armed with proof, but he just said "meh, there's nothing I can do about it now". Wanker.
That story rings a bell. MY BELLEND!!!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:One we had once (it's probably 12 years or so since we stopped doing the pub quiz, so this was before everyone had internet on their phones) was "rrue or false - The children's programme Captain Pugwash contained characters called Seaman Stains and Master Bates". We had a big discussion about whether we should put 'true' since the myth was so widespread, but decided in the end that we simply had to put the correct answer. Quizmaster said True. We lost, by 1 point, to a team that had answered True. We were not happy, and came the next week armed with proof, but he just said "meh, there's nothing I can do about it now". Wanker.
That story rings a bell. MY BELLEND!!!
Yeah, I felt sure I'd told it on here at least 7 times (it's a great story after all) but a search on the pertinent terms only brought up a post by Derek Hazell saying that Richard Digance claimed to have started the myth.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ha, you started this thread on the same day I finally got around to starting a blog of all the quiz questions we miss.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
    C) Oil on track
C is (I think) black & yellow and D is blue so it's neither of them, I'd probably go with B as well.
I'd say B but it's pretty obscure. C is red and yellow, not black and yellow.

Anyway, this if you want it.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Just to clarify, yep B was right! Interesting to see that those in the know found it quite obscure. Didn't know Ian's poser above although Michelle knew it. Good thread so far!

I like your question Matt! What is the right answer?

That's very weird Michael and I like the blog!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Hi Jason! Jon was indeed correct - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_case

By the way, I haven't looked but does anybody know the name for the case used in function notation in most computer languages such as JavaScript?

i.e. firstLowButTheRestUpper
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:Hi Jason! Jon was indeed correct - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_case

By the way, I haven't looked but does anybody know the name for the case used in function notation in most computer languages such as JavaScript?

It covers that in your link, you fucking twat.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Hi Jason! Jon was indeed correct - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_case

It covers that in your link, you fucking twat.
Yeah I really don't know what I was thinking - I already knew that as the guy that taught me it was called "Camel Case" did so in relationToCodeFunctions. Braindead for a moment I posted that.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

What does the 'C' in CBS stand for?

Columbia, Canadian, Cable, Californian.

Cost us the whole quiz by getting this one question wrong due to the nature of the round.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I know that one. But I'll leave it to someone else as I STILL have no interesting "recent quiz failure" questions to follow up with, obviously.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Ryan Taylor wrote:What does the 'C' in CBS stand for?
In Ireland it stands for Christian Brothers School.
Lee Kelly
Rookie

Post by Lee Kelly »

dont think its cable as its one of the networks that show nfl and i think its a terrestrial channel
Michelle Nevitt

Post by Michelle Nevitt »

My brother was certain it was cable so we went for that but don't think any of us would have gone for the correct answer which was Columbia
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Got a handful of questions wrong last night, came fourth in the end, 5 points off winning the quiz for a cool £200.

Anyway, some annoying ones that we think we should have known:
  • 1) Who was the highest earning sportsman for 2012, he'll celebrate his 36th birthday this Sunday (Feb 24th)?
    2) Who played Taggart in 'Taggart'?
    3) What is the longest running musical in the West End?
And some ones that we mentioned the correct answers for, but never went with:
  • 1) Name two of the top three most populated capital cities.
    2) What has been the most common scoreline in the history of the Premier League?
    3) What colour of car is the most sold around the world?
And one final one which was my favourite of the night, which we also got wrong:
  • 1) How many times has Barack Obama taken the Oath of Office of the President of the US?
Michelle Nevitt

Ryan Taylor wrote:
3) What is the longest running musical in the West End?
Well maybe if you actually read the quiz book I made you at Christmas you would have known this. Assface.
Michelle Nevitt

Ok I'm sorry for calling you an assface. The question I asked you was what is the longest running Broadway musical. :oops:
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michelle Nevitt wrote:Ok I'm sorry for calling you an assface. The question I asked you was what is the longest running Broadway musical. :oops:
Which is why I was 100% sure that the answer was Phantom of the Opera. Which we went with. Which was wrong. So thanks for the quiz book assface. You just lost me £200.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

A1 - wrong, interesting question that. Thought it was Tiger Woods, maybe Beckham or Federer
B1 - wrong, my two guesses were 15th and 16th! (Mexico City and Tokyo I'd have said)
B2 - I was correct
B3 - wrong, I'd have said black with the actual correct answer as my second choice.
C1 - can't find the actual answer but I'd have gone with the obvious and said two

The rest I wouldn't have a clue

Good questions
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Andy Platt wrote:A1 - wrong, interesting question that. Thought it was Tiger Woods, maybe Beckham or Federer
Yeah, they were pretty much our two answers before going with the first one.
Andy wrote:B1 - wrong, my two guesses were 15th and 16th! (Mexico City and Tokyo I'd have said)
And again, I felt for sure that you're first one would be a dead cert. Looking at this question now though I think there must be some contention, particularly for the 3rd place as some of the figures are based on 2011 stats. The three answers given were: Tokyo, Moscow, Seoul which looks to be just taken straight off of wikipedia.
Andy wrote:C1 - can't find the actual answer but I'd have gone with the obvious and said two
I also thought it would be 2 before then being reliably informed that there was a cock up the first time he did it so he had to do it again which meant that we changed our answer to 3. Unfortunately this year it fell on a Sunday and so apparently that meant he had to retake it on the Monday meaning that the answer was 4.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Got a handful of questions wrong last night, came fourth in the end, 5 points off winning the quiz for a cool £200.

• 1) Who was the highest earning sportsman for 2012, he'll celebrate his 36th birthday this Sunday (Feb 24th)? Patriots quarterback? Not sure really. Just checked, person I was thinking of is #10.
    2) Who played Taggart in 'Taggart'? Mark McManus
    3) What is the longest running musical in the West End? The Mousetrap?
  • 1) Name two of the top three most populated capital cities. Mexico City, Jakarta?
    2) What has been the most common scoreline in the history of the Premier League? 1-0, awful question!
    3) What colour of car is the most sold around the world?
Red?

• 1) How many times has Barack Obama taken the Oath of Office of the President of the US?
Seen your explanation above, I had 6 because I assumed there was a practice reading each time as well!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Anyway, some annoying ones that we think we should have known:
  • 1) Who was the highest earning sportsman for 2012, he'll celebrate his 36th birthday this Sunday (Feb 24th)? Patriots quarterback? Not sure really. Just checked, person I was thinking of is #10.
    2) Who played Taggart in 'Taggart'? Mark McManus BINGO!
    3) What is the longest running musical in the West End? The Mousetrap? Not a musical!
  • 1) Name two of the top three most populated capital cities. Mexico City, Jakarta? Surprisingly not. No one in the quiz (18 teams) got this question right apparently. (Answer is in a post above).
    2) What has been the most common scoreline in the history of the Premier League? 1-0, awful question! BINGO!
    3) What colour of car is the most sold around the world?Red We had it between this and silver. The answer given was white.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ha, I remember at the time of his last reading of it that that would make an excellent quiz question. Glad to see someone else had the same idea.
Lee Kelly
Rookie

Post by Lee Kelly »

1) David Beckham
2) Duno
3) Phantom of the opera?

1)Mexico City and Bueno Airies
2) 2-1?
3) Black?

1) 3?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Sadly Lee, I'm gonna have to give you a 0 there. Most of your answers closely match what we put on the night.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Musical! Oops, silly me. Is Blood Brothers a musical?

And insert a standard grumble here about how one defines a city, especially nowadays. Quite difficult to differentiate between urban agglomerations, city boundaries as defined on a map, that sort of thing. By some definitions, Mount Isa in Australia is one of the world's largest cities.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Ian Volante wrote:Musical! Oops, silly me. Is Blood Brothers a musical?
Getting closer. That's 3rd on all time spanning 24 years. Phantom of the Opera as mentioned above is 2nd (in its 26th year) but the longest, currently in its 27th year is...
Ian Volante wrote:And insert a standard grumble here about how one defines a city, especially nowadays. Quite difficult to differentiate between urban agglomerations, city boundaries as defined on a map, that sort of thing. By some definitions, Mount Isa in Australia is one of the world's largest cities.
Agreed!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I'd have to guess Cats.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Genuinely surprised no one has got the musical (unless I'm wrong of course). I guess it's just subjective judgement considering I work in Leicester Square though.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Ian Volante wrote:I'd have to guess Cats.
I'd have gone with Les Mis.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Liam Tiernan wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:I'd have to guess Cats.
I'd have gone with Les Mis.
BINGO!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Well done. I'm clearly too straight.
Peter McNamara

Post by Peter McNamara »

At a quiz last night one question was "In acidic ground, what colour are a hydrangea's flowers?"

We knew it was pH dependent and assumed the answer (as with litmus paper reacting to acid) was red/pink. The correct answer was blue. From Googling it today, it seems that the blue colour in hydrangeas is caused by aluminium absorbed from the soil and alkaline soil inhibits the alumininium absorbtion giving pink flowers.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Peter McNamara wrote:At a quiz last night one question was "In acidic ground, what colour are a hydrangea's flowers?"

We knew it was pH dependent and assumed the answer (as with litmus paper reacting to acid) was red/pink. The correct answer was blue. From Googling it today, it seems that the blue colour in hydrangeas is caused by aluminium absorbed from the soil and alkaline soil inhibits the alumininium absorbtion giving pink flowers.
I'd have gone the same way. Good one to remember.