Latest actuary puzzle

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Post Reply
User avatar
Kirk Bevins
God
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: York, UK

Latest actuary puzzle

Post by Kirk Bevins » Sun May 06, 2012 4:43 pm

Another really hard one this month for anyone who is bored. I've started to attempt solving it manually by recognising that numbers such as 91 must be made up of 13x7 or 7x13 and 93 being 31x3 or 3x31 but I've not got much further and decided a program would probably solve it. I wish I was good at computers!

http://www.theactuary.com/puzzles-and-g ... -may-2012/

Download the puzzles - it's the prize puzzle, number 504.

Kirk

Dinos Sfyris
Fanatic
Posts: 2704
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: Latest actuary puzzle

Post by Dinos Sfyris » Sun May 06, 2012 11:20 pm

Cool. Will have a look at that as a treat after I've finished my teaching assignment. Also there's one of those conditional probability mindfuck problems at the bottom of the page that everyone loves/hates so much :)

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8292
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Latest actuary puzzle

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun May 06, 2012 11:33 pm

Looks boring.

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7918
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: Latest actuary puzzle

Post by Jon Corby » Tue May 08, 2012 11:48 am

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Cool. Will have a look at that as a treat after I've finished my teaching assignment. Also there's one of those conditional probability mindfuck problems at the bottom of the page that everyone loves/hates so much :)
I get 13/27 for that one.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8292
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Latest actuary puzzle

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu May 10, 2012 5:15 pm

Jon Corby wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:Cool. Will have a look at that as a treat after I've finished my teaching assignment. Also there's one of those conditional probability mindfuck problems at the bottom of the page that everyone loves/hates so much :)
I get 13/27 for that one.
Yes, we know.

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7918
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: Latest actuary puzzle

Post by Jon Corby » Fri May 11, 2012 8:13 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:Cool. Will have a look at that as a treat after I've finished my teaching assignment. Also there's one of those conditional probability mindfuck problems at the bottom of the page that everyone loves/hates so much :)
I get 13/27 for that one.
Yes, we know.
Ha, good memory. Well that's reassuring :)

User avatar
Kirk Bevins
God
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: York, UK

Re: Latest actuary puzzle

Post by Kirk Bevins » Wed May 30, 2012 11:14 am

Well, apparently there was an error in last month's puzzle and was impossible to solve. This month's prize puzzle is therefore doubled to a £100 Amazon voucher and is an anagram crossword! This is much more like it!

Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter
Posts: 1461
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Re: Latest actuary puzzle

Post by Eoin Monaghan » Wed May 30, 2012 2:40 pm

Can you post a link please?

User avatar
Kirk Bevins
God
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: York, UK

Re: Latest actuary puzzle

Post by Kirk Bevins » Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 pm

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Can you post a link please?
http://www.theactuary.com/puzzles-and-g ... june-2012/


The answers to last month's questions are there, including a detailed answer to the child problem where the answer is indeed 13/27.
This month's anagram crossword has some black squares not blacked in but these should be obvious.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests