Logic puzzle

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Kirk Bevins
God

Logic puzzle

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Hi guys. Please can you help with Puzzle number 500 from the actuary magazine. Puzzle 502 is quite fun - I solved it in about 3 minutes but puzzle 500 is the prize puzzle and is quite tricky I think.

http://www.theactuary.com/puzzles-and-g ... pril-2012/

Click download puzzles.

Cheers
Kirk
Deadline 17th April.
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Logic puzzle

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I'm sure someone could write a program to solve this. The key is to have the sum of each row and column equalling 28 and containing 1-7 only once. There can't be too many permutations of this...then it just needs to be juggled so the right sums are there for the centre squares.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Will this be another one where Graeme Cole solves it and you get the prize?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Charlie Reams wrote:Will this be another one where Graeme Cole solves it and you get the prize?
:D
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:Will this be another one where Graeme Cole solves it and you get the prize?
I haven't won to date but possibly lol. We're friendly folk here.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I'm sure someone could write a program to solve this. The key is to have the sum of each row and column equalling 28 and containing 1-7 only once. There can't be too many permutations of this...then it just needs to be juggled so the right sums are there for the centre squares.
Done, and just sent you the whole spreadsheet so you can pick which one of the 1,258 solutions you wish to use :D