Jono's Android Games Thread

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Jono's Android Games Thread

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Angry Birds is really good.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Jono's Android Games Thread

Post by Matt Morrison »

Grow up and get an iPhone. I hate Apple vehemently and it didn't stop me.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jono - Zynga have just released Hanging With Friends for Android now, you little dick. I await your challenge.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:Jono - Zynga have just released Hanging With Friends for Android now, you little dick. I await your challenge.
Sounds like a rocking good birthday you're having there.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Jono - Zynga have just released Hanging With Friends for Android now, you little dick. I await your challenge.
:(
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
:(
Why don't you go out and buy some chewing gum? Go on, it's your special day, treat yourself.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

It's about time I did a game review I think.

Hanging With Friends
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.zynga.hanging

Amazing hangman fun with your friends, if you have any. You loser.

Come on. We all love the idea of Hex combined with Scrabble, don't we?
This game is like the easiest fucking sell ever. To word game fans at least.
You make a word, your friend has to try and solve it, then they do the same for you. First to lose their five lives loses.

Creating a word.

The game works so well as you get a limited, and fairly random, selection of 12 letters from which to make your word.
You'll quickly pick up the tactical nuances - for a while it will be about using the 'hardest' letters available to you, a V or an X or whatever.
Then, well, I'm not going to spoil it all, but you'll soon be using double-bluff psychology, thinking about the position of vowels and letters, short or long word, to pluralise or not, etc. etc. Deep!
Word base is just the same as Words With Friends - it's a bit Americanized, unfortunately, but at least with this game there's less of an issue with things like missing two-letter words (min length 4).

Solving a word.

Obviously when solving the word, you get the full alphabet to work from. Words can range from 4 to 8 letters, with the number of 'strikes' you get before you are 'hung' ranging accordingly from 8 to 4.
The most important thing to point out is that you get the vowel that is positioned last in the word for free. Hence the earlier mention about tactical vowel positioning.

There are three 'bonuses' you can use as well to help you solve the word. It's sad that these exist really, me and Heather have obviously never ever used one (things like "eliminator" on Hex, get rid of a selection of letters that aren't in the word, or one that shows you four letters of which one is in the word and the other three aren't), though you can understand the inclusion to appeal to a more casual less apterous-infused fan. Once again, don't use these unless you're a cheat.
These bonuses cost 20 coins each to use; coins are earned at the word-building stage by utilising the randomly-placed DL/TL/DW/TW tile.
The game has recently introduced a "coin store" where you can change your character's costume or the design of your balloons (that represent your 'lives') so at least there's something for us honest word nerd types to use our coins on.

Facebook friends, have you got some?

Like Words With Friends, you sync up via Facebook to see who already plays, and of course you can start games with random opponents or via direct invite.
There's no Facebook app for the game yet, but it is on iPhone yet either, so this one is for your iPhone wankers as well.
The game requires a 3G/WiFi connection to play, just like Words does.

Voyeur.

Once your buddy has had a go at solving your word, you'll get to watch them trying to solve it (useful for judging the psychological aspect of making words, as well as just tense fun) before the loop begins again - you solve theirs, you make a new word for them, and so on.

Absolutely cannot rate this high enough. It's as close to perfect as it really can be. Seriously, pick it up right now and offer me a game.
It's great fun, tactical as well as wordy, and a perfect "pick up for a moment then put it down until a bit later on" type game.

Last edited by Jon O'Neill on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Sounds much better than the iPhone version, might look that up.