Scrabble New Player Event, 20th August

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Ben Wilson
Legend

Scrabble New Player Event, 20th August

Post by Ben Wilson »

Hi all

I'm organising another Scrabble tournament for new players on 20th August in Central London. If you've never played in a tournament before this is an ideal opportunity to come along and see what all the fuss is about! You'll play six ABSP-rated games of Scrabble- all against fellow newbies. The last event of this kind- held in peterborough in November 2009- was won by one Mr. M. Bayfield of this parish, so c4c has a winning streak to maintain! Prizes will include various Scrabble goodies, including vouchers from Tilefish, and the top 3 finishers will receive free membership to the Association of British Scrabble Players (ABSP)- which offers various benefits including money off the entry cost of all ABSP-rated tournament- for the remainder of 2011 and all of 2012.

The venue will be ULU (University of London Union) and kick-off is at 10:00, though I recommend you get there earlier as I'll be explaining the ins and outs of tournament play to everyone before we get going. Entry will be £10. The wordlist that will be used on the day will be Collins Scrabble Words 2007, and there will be no penalty challenge. To be eligible for the tournament, you must played 15 or fewer ABSP-rated games and be either fully unrated or have a rating under 130.

If you're interested and/or have any questions, simply drop me a pm or reply in this thread and I'll reply as quickly as I can. Further information can found on the website of the ABSP- http://www.absp.org.uk/ which also has a special feature offering advice for new players and a full list of upcoming tournaments.

Happy Scrabbling folks!
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Re: Scrabble New Player Event, 20th August

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Ha - I appear to be ineligible for this due to my ridiculously-inflated provisional rating of 180 following the Peterborough tourney!

But good luck Ben - hope it's a success. I would of course encourage anyone remotely interested to give it a go - playing real-life tournament Scrabble is about 10 times more interesting than playing on ISC or (god forbid) facebook.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Re: Scrabble New Player Event, 20th August

Post by Ben Wilson »

The official entry form for the event can be found here- http://www.absp.org.uk/calendar/npemso2011.doc . I will accept emailed entry forms and paypal payment to hulla.mahulla@btopenworld.com if you'd prefer to enter electronically. The official facebook page for the event can be found here- http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=172716759453905 -I've tried inviting a bunch of c4cers but facebook seems to be misbehaving at the moment so feel free to add your ABSP- the event is open for anyone (who isn't too experienced!) to attend.