Know your sport quiz

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

JasonCullen
Devotee

Know your sport quiz

Post by JasonCullen »

To commemorate the start of the Olympics and the beginning of the new football season, I have compiled a quiz for the entertainment and frustration of the forum!

For all you sport lovers, there are 15 questions on the 2008 Beijing Games and a further 15 on football in general. As always, you are awarded one point per each correct answer and there is no fixed closing date as of yet.

For all you football atheists (e.g. Mr. Bolas) and/or Olympic detestors, I have put together a TV "Box Clever" quiz which will hopefully please the guys who are not necessarily sporting knowledge experts! But please note that these are two seperate quizzes and forumites are permitted to take part in both quizzes if they want to :) !

As usual, please do NOT attempt to cheat in any form as your only cheating yourself blah blah blah.

All entrants must send their answers via private message please and clearly indicating the quiz(zes) you have taken part in, in the subject toolbar!

Questions

Know your... Olympics

1. In what position did diving duo Blake Aldridge and Tom Daley finish in the 10 metre synchronised diving event?
2. Donna Kellogg and Gail Emms are British women associated with which sport?
3. Andrew Murray lost his first round Olympics singles match against a player from which country?
4. In which specific swimming discipline did Rebecca Adlington become the first female winner of an Olympic swimming gold medal since 1960?
5. What score did it finish between Britain and Pakistan in a recent Olympic mens group hockey match?
6. By how many hundredths of a second did Adlington beat fellow Briton Jo Jackson in the same swimming discipline in question four?
7. In women's archery, how many points did Britain lose by to France in the bronze medal match?
8. What is the name of the venue for the swimming and diving events in Beijing?
9. In what position did Britain's women rowers finish in the Womans Eights qualifying heats?
10. What surname links British boxers Bradley and Billy Joe - and it is also the surname of a recently joined forum member?
11. What is the name of the British long jump athlete who has recently been declared fit to compete in Beijing after suffering from a torn calf muscle?
12. On what date will the mens 20km walking final take place? (DD/MM)
13. Which female Briton collected our first medal of the 2008 Beijing Games?
14. What is the name of the youngest member of this year's British Olympic team?
15. Which athlete carried the GB flag during Friday's opening ceremony?

Know your...Football

16. Chronologically, which two teams are contesting the first Premier League match of the new season on Saturday lunchtime?
17. Which referee has recently been banned for amassing conspicuous debts?
18. At which football venue did Manchester City play a recent UEFA Cup qualifying round match at?
19. New Tottenham signing Luka Modric is of what European nationality?
20. How many penalties did Edwin Van der Sar save in the Community Shield final against Portsmouth?
21. Which unknown rookie goalkeeper is likely to be sentenced for blackmailing a Premier League footballer with sexual images?
22. Where do Lincoln City play their home matches at?
23. Which team do non-league side Alsager FC play in an FA Cup qualifying round game on Saturday?
24. Who missed the decisive penalty in the penalty shoot-out of the 2008 UEFA Champions League final?
25. Comedian Dave Spikey is said to be a fan of which Premier League football team?
26. Which ex-Man United player appeared on reality TV show Celebrity Love Island a few years ago?
27. Who won last season's UEFA Cup final staged in Manchester in May?
28. At the end of last season, what was Derby County's final goal diference?
29. Mathieu Flamini completed his move from Arsenal to which European team during pre-season?
30. Against which Premier League side did Bolton Wanderers achieve its highest attendance against last season?
JasonCullen
Devotee

Re: Know your sport quiz

Post by JasonCullen »

I hope you enjoy the quiz and your feedback would be much appreciated :D
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I know far too many of the Olympic ones - clearly I've been spending too much time using it as an excuse not to get on with work :(
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

jasoncullen wrote:23. Which team do non-league side Alsager FC play in an FA Cup qualifying round game on Saturday?
What do you mean, non-league? They're in the Vodkat Premier League!
I can certainly answer that question, and can even say who they play in the following round, if they get through on Saturday.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Howard Somerset wrote:
jasoncullen wrote:23. Which team do non-league side Alsager FC play in an FA Cup qualifying round game on Saturday?
What do you mean, non-league? They're in the Vodkat Premier League!
I can certainly answer that question, and can even say who they play in the following round, if they get through on Saturday.
:lol:

If anyone but Howard knows this one, I will find it difficult not to believe that some people have been doing some fixture surfing to uncover the right answer :)
Last edited by JasonCullen on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

jasoncullen wrote:If anyone but Howard knows this one, I will find it difficult to believe that some people have been doing some fixture surfing to uncover the right answer :)
Unless, of course, there's someone here from xxxxxxx. Nearly said the name then. :lol:
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

So far I have received three entrants and here is the current leaderboard;

1. Jon O'Neill
2. Howard Somerset
3. Stewart Scott

I will reveal the scores after I have received a few more entrants. The leading score is definitely surpassible so can anyone top Jono?

EDIT - Please note that if you leave some answers blank, you are allowed to add answers to the questions you did NOT attempt only in order to boost your marks :) .
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

jasoncullen wrote:1. Jon O'Neill

The leading score is definitely surpassible so can anyone top Jono?
He's lying to generate entrants. Actually, I rock.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
jasoncullen wrote:1. Jon O'Neill

The leading score is definitely surpassible so can anyone top Jono?
He's lying to generate entrants. Actually, I rock.
Yeah you do rock Jono but trust me your score can be bettered ;) .
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

jasoncullen wrote:Yeah you do rock Jono but trust me your score can be bettered ;) .
Disregard this. It cannot.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

jasoncullen wrote:For all you football atheists (e.g. Mr. Bolas) and/or Olympic detestors, I have put together a TV "Box Clever" quiz which will hopefully please the guys who are not necessarily sporting knowledge experts!
What about if General Knowledge is not your strong point regardless of catergory :lol:
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Are there any answers available to this????

And did I manage to beat Jono?