Song game (not for retards)

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Song game (not for retards)

Post by Jon Corby »

Guess the songs from the clues. They might not necessarily refer to the title of the song, but you should be able to work out the song anyway.

1. Oh my god Rihanna! It's terrible. While you were in the studio, there's been a... I don't know how to say this... nuclear strike. We're not sure who fired first, but the US retaliated, and now there's just no-one left. We seem to have been somehow protected in this studio, but everyone else - everyone you ever knew or loved - they're all dead. The bodies of children playing outside were literally stripped of their skin and, oh god... it's just total desolation out there.

2. Right lads, we've found out who squealed about our peephole into the girls' shower room. It was that Michael Barratt kid. He's got double maths at the end of the day today, so we're gonna wait outside the maths block, and then he's going down. Are we all in? Good.
Last edited by Jon Corby on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Re: Awesome super cool new fun song game

Post by Matt Bayfield »

I'm probably not thinking in the right way to get either of those.

I know that Michael Barrett is the real name of Shakin' Stevens, but that doesn't seem to help me at all. And with the reference to the peephole, I keep trying to crowbar in "Glory Box" by Portishead.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Bayfield wrote:I know that Michael Barrett is the real name of Shakin' Stevens, but that doesn't seem to help me at all.
That is precisely how far I got with either of these and realised I only knew one Shakin' Stevens song.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

You're overthinking it massively.

They're recent songs as well.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Is the first one just only girl in the world?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Yes Bob. Yes it is. I'm simply trying to obey her instruction, but possibly not in the way she intended.

The second one is similarly easy.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I prefer ones more like Jon Snow's news report:

A group of young people including a shy overweight girl, a leukaemia patient and a street performer stormed a castle in Budapest last night inspired by a mystery woman. They were told to ignite the light and let it shine by the woman as she stood upon the balcony, herself bursting with colour. She was also heard to be screaming “show ‘em what you’re worth” and “come on, let your colours burst”.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I prefer ones that aren't about shit pop music.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I prefer ones more like Jon Snow's news report:

A group of young people including a shy overweight girl, a leukaemia patient and a street performer stormed a castle in Budapest last night inspired by a mystery woman. They were told to ignite the light and let it shine by the woman as she stood upon the balcony, herself bursting with colour. She was also heard to be screaming “show ‘em what you’re worth” and “come on, let your colours burst”.
Yeah, but they're stupidly fucking obvious. This is the same sort of thing, but obviously slightly less obvious. Obviously.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

First one would be obvious if I'd heard of it. Second one, is there a song called peep show or something, possibly with a Parkinson's Disease reference to get the Shaky side of the clue?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:I prefer ones more like Jon Snow's news report:

Yeah, but they're stupidly fucking obvious. This is the same sort of thing, but obviously slightly less obvious. Obviously.
I would say yours are stupidly fucking unobvious. If you have to question whether you have the right answer then something is wrong.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I would say yours are stupidly fucking unobvious. If you have to question whether you have the right answer then something is wrong.
I'd say Bob was just holding back slightly as he was the first to answer. You don't think it's apparent that it's right?

If you'd rather play a game where we describe a pop video while also giving some very recognisable lyrics from that song (such that if you've heard the song once you'll instantly get it), start a new thread.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:I would say yours are stupidly fucking unobvious. If you have to question whether you have the right answer then something is wrong.
I'd say Bob was just holding back slightly as he was the first to answer. You don't think it's apparent that it's right?

If you'd rather play a game where we describe a pop video while also giving some very recognisable lyrics from that song (such that if you've heard the song once you'll instantly get it), start a new thread.
And be sure not to get people's hopes up with the title, cos this thread is a complete and utter disaster.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:And be sure not to get people's hopes up with the title, cos this thread is a complete and utter disaster.
:x

Thread title changed as appropriate.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Song game (not for retards)

Post by Matt Morrison »

I really like the idea of it. I absolutely love the description for 1 - made me laugh reading it.
I just can't take part because I don't listen to the sort of shite music you're dealing with, that's all. Wish I could. Best of luck to you Jon.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:I really like the idea of it. I absolutely love the description for 1 - made me laugh reading it.
I just can't take part because I don't listen to the sort of shite music you're dealing with, that's all. Wish I could. Best of luck to you Jon.
Thanks for posting in the thread to let us know that you're too cool for us though.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:I really like the idea of it. I absolutely love the description for 1 - made me laugh reading it.
Thanks. You didn't really need an in-depth knowledge of either song to get them. The first was simply that Rihanna sings "want you to make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world" (surely you've heard the song?). The second was Ian Carey Project's "Get Shaky", which says in the chorus "Get shaky after school". That was it.

I had loads more which I was going to do, but I'm going to go off in a sulk now instead.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I liked this thread.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
Thanks. You didn't really need an in-depth knowledge of either song to get them. The first was simply that Rihanna sings "want you to make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world" (surely you've heard the song?). The second was Ian Carey Project's "Get Shaky", which says in the chorus "Get shaky after school". That was it.
No, only Rihanna song I've ever heard is the one about the umbrellas, never ever heard any others. I even thought it was spelt Rhianna, like a rhea, so that shows what I know.
The other one sounds like it could be quite a cool song rather than a gay song, so if you read anything as abuse I take it back.

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
No, only Rihanna song I've ever heard is the one about the umbrellas, never ever heard any others. I even thought it was spelt Rhianna, like a rhea, so that shows what I know.
The other one sounds like it could be quite a cool song rather than a gay song, so if you read anything as abuse I take it back.

I've just not heard of either of them. Radio went shit in 1992, that's my excuse.

EDIT: Radio 1 that is.
Last edited by Ian Volante on Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:I had loads more which I was going to do, but I'm going to go off in a sulk now instead.
Victory!

Seriously though, post them now I know where you're coming from. And seriously guys, I can't get my head round the fact that you haven't so much as heard the Rihanna song. Are you living in caves? It's not like you even have to go out of your way to listen to these songs they are just kind of there in everyday life. Well, in my life anyway, radio, films, conversations, newspapers and even in YouTube hits like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTya267fe1Y.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ryan Taylor wrote: Well, in my life anyway, radio, films, conversations, newspapers and even in YouTube hits like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTya267fe1Y.
Can't speak for everyone else but I rarely listen to music radio and barely ever watch TV, and I don't know what newspapers you read but none of the ones I read have seen fit to print a Rihanna song.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote: Well, in my life anyway, radio, films, conversations, newspapers and even in YouTube hits like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTya267fe1Y.
Can't speak for everyone else but I rarely listen to music radio and barely ever watch TV, and I don't know what newspapers you read but none of the ones I read have seen fit to print a Rihanna song.
Me too - the music radio I listen to all the time is real music radio (i.e. R3 & classic fm) :!: :geek:
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Charlie Reams wrote:
I don't know what newspapers you read but none of the ones I read have seen fit to print a Rihanna song.
That has to be bullshit. I'm pretty sure every paper would have reported her making history earlier this year and most national papers have a culture section which would at least touch on popular music.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
I don't know what newspapers you read but none of the ones I read have seen fit to print a Rihanna song.
That has to be bullshit. I'm pretty sure every paper would have reported her making history earlier this year and most national papers have a culture section which would at least touch on popular music.
lol
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I had loads more which I was going to do, but I'm going to go off in a sulk now instead.
Victory!
You're all getting death threats tomorrow.

Where is Meakin actually? Would we actually find out if he had committed suicide, do you think?
Last edited by Jon Corby on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:I don't know what newspapers you read but none of the ones I read have seen fit to print a Rihanna song.
lol
Peter Mabey wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Me too - the music radio I listen to all the time is real music radio (i.e. R3 & classic fm) :!: :geek:
poshos in the house
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:You're all getting death threats tomorrow.
Death threat threats. Nice.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I blame the Daily Mail.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Hadn't heard the Rhianna song. Didn't know she made history either. It's not that hard to avoid that stuff really, but I feel fairly lucky that I manage to. It involves not turning on the telly often, not listening to shit radio and not spending much time in public places where they have shit radio on. The sound of shit radio instantly grates now that I've gotten used to not hearing it. A mate of mine, same age, total folk music head, amazed me a couple of years ago by having never heard of coldplay.

So what was the second one anyway? I like the game.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Jon Corby wrote:Song game (not for retards)
Am I classed as a retard?
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Soph K wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Song game (not for retards)
Am I classed as a retard?
No dear.