The Alphabet Quiz

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

JasonCullen
Devotee

The Alphabet Quiz

Post by JasonCullen »

*Please read all the instructions carefully before attempting this quiz*

Hello again! I just thought I would put together another quiz for the entertainment of the forum which is called "Alphabet Quiz". My apology for the delay as this was supposed to be posted last week :) !

The aim of the game is to answer 35 general knowledge questions with at least one answer for each letter of the alphabet A-Z.This is a similar format to my conundrum alphabets! After this is done, you should be left with 9 answers which appear twice in nine seperate letters of the alphabet. To gain 9 bonus points, forumites must scramble the first letter of the nine duplicated words answers to give you a conundrum answer :D .

An example of how to set your answers out and how it works is shown below;

A alligator
B blood, bolton
C cartoon
D democratic, denmark
E earth, epiphany

Anagram = BED

As you can see, there will be two answers for some letters of the alphabet (if done correctly). In this case the letters B D E are duplicated and the anagram of this would be BED which gives you the bonus points. This is the same principle which is required when solving the bonus conundrum with the first letter of the nine remaining words being scrambled to formulate a genuine nine-letter word.

I don't usually encourage this, but if you are really struggling feel free to cheat by any means in unveiling the answers as you will struggle to get the bonus points without correctly solving all the word answers. But please give it your best shot first, then you may cheat to find the answers later on. However, there is to be no conferring within this thread as this is an individual effort and not a team one :x .

Remember to post your answers in an A-Z list format and clearly stating below what the secret conundrum is.

I hope you enjoy this new quiz and feel free to post any queries if your not sure how it works :D .

Questions

1. What is the first name of the third person to enter the Big Brother House on Thursday 5th June?
2. The surname of the host of the ITV game show "Goldenballs"?
3. Complete the song title by Rihanna, "Take a ____"?
4. The surname of a poet whose poems include "Homecoming" and "November"?
5. The name of an English football league team who play their home games at Victoria Park and supported by Jeff Stelling, "____ United"?
6. What is the capital city of the American state of Kansas?
7. Which Prime Minister made Jeffrey Archer a life peer?
8. Who wrote the Sinead O`Connor hit Nothing Compares 2 U?
9. New York City lies at the mouth of which river?
10. The name of which Italian cheese means `recooked`?
11. What is the name of the currency used in Poland?
12. In the movie Aliens, what was the name of the cat?
13. What specific item of confectionary was advertised with the slogan, `just enough to give your kids a treat`?
14. Which Dallas character did Terry Wogan nickname the `poisoned dwarf`. "Lucy_____"?
15. What game starts with a squidge off?
16. If the Roman numeral for 500 is connected to the name of America`s military cemetary in Washington you have the name of which English market town?
17. Which TV Character`s classic lines include `Time`s Fun When You`re Having Flies` and `It`s Not Easy Being Green`. "_____ the Frog?
18. Which boxer had the nickname `The Dark Destroyer`. "_____ Benn?
19. Who wrote the song `Rhapsody In Blue`. "_____ Gershwin?
20. What is the largest island in the Mediterranean Sea?
21. With which cartoon series would you associate `The Buzzwagon`, `The Crimson Haybayler` and `The Mean Machine`. "_____ Races?
22. The surname of a presenter who has hosted shows including, "1 vs 100" and "Big Brother's Little Brother" and now the "X Factor"?
23. Which sport would you associate with Bobby Orr, Maurice Richard and Wayne Gretzky. "_____ Hockey?
24. Which pop group comprised Vince Clarke and Alison Moyet?
25. The first name of the much-loved Coronation Street character played by Liz Dawn?
26. Complete the name of the well-known British actress "Caroline _____"?
27. Which European football team knocked Blackburn Rovers out of the UEFA Cup qualifying rounds in September last year?
28. What was the name of one of my past quizzes were forumites worked as a team in order to gain the correct majority answer?
29. What is the name of the X Factor judge "_____ Cowell"?
30. What is the capital city of Jamaica?
31. Complete the name of the famous poem by William Wordsworth "The ______ of Margaret"?
32. Complete the name of the notorious Islamic terrorist "_____ Bin Laden"?
33. What is the name of the document which is sometimes needed when you apply for jobs "______ Vitae"?
34. Which country won this year's Eurovision Song Contest in May?
35. In which part of the body is the stirrup bone situated?

Cheers everyone :P
Last edited by JasonCullen on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Re: The Alphabet Quiz

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

1. Luke (I think)
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. Kansas City?
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. ?
11. Zloty?
12. ?
13. ?
14. ?
15. ?
16. Darlington?
17. Kermit
19. George
20. Corsica
21. Races
22. O'Leary
23. Ice
24. ?
25. ?
26. Aherne
27. ?
28. Unanimous
29. Simon
30. Kingston
31. ?
32. Osama
33. Curriculum
34. Russia
35. Ear (or possibly you want inner ear?)

If my answers are right which they probably aren't that means the conundrum contains the letters LOCKR
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Post by Stewart Scott »

A – Affliction, Armitage
B - Bow
C – Carrot, Curriculum
D - Darlington
E - Ear, Ewing (edited answer)
F – Finger of Fudge
G - George
H – Hartlepool, Hudson
I - Ice
J - Jones
K – Kermit, Kingston
L – Luke
M - Major
N - Nigel
O – Osama, O' Leary
P - Prince
Q - Quentin
R – Ricotta, Russia
S – Sicily, Simon
T – Topeka, Tiddlywinks
U - Unanimous
V - Vera
W - Wacky
X - ?
Y - Yazoo
Z - Zloty

My letters are NOW ACEHKORST and I believe SHORTCAKE is the conundrum?
Last edited by Stewart Scott on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Just have a quick look at the questions again Stewart ;) . There is just an odd mistake in one of your answers which is consequently hindering your chance of getting the conundrum :) .

But I commend yours and Dinos' good efforts :D
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ok, so the answers that are in bold are those which I didn't cheat for :P

Edit: And now I've done them in the right format...

A: Affliction, AE Larissa
B: Bow
C: Carrot, Curriculum
D: Darlington
E: Ear, Ewing
F: Fudge
G: George
H: Hartlepool, Hudson
I: Ice
J: Jones
K: Kingston, Kermit
L: Luke
M: Major
N: Nigel
O: O'leary, Osama
P: Prince
Q: Quentin
R: Ricotta, Russia
S: Sicily, Simon
T: Topeka, Tiddlywinks
U: Unanimous
V: Vera
W: Wacky
X: ?
Y: Yazoo
Z: Zloty

Which leaves me with COHRESTLK, which I can't turn into anything, so clearly something's gone wrong here...

editedit: thanks to jason's reply I've had another look and corrected one which now gives me COHRESTAK, which seems to make SHORTCAKE, delicious!
Last edited by Michael Wallace on Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Just a minor mistake michael. You have got one phantom letter in your possible conundrum which is hindering your chance to get bonus points :)
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

The following question;
27. Which European football team knocked Blackburn Rovers out of the UEFA Cup qualifying rounds in September last year?

seems to be causing problems. I think you can guess what it probably begins with :D . I know the answer to this because my dad is a Rovers fan :)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

jasoncullen wrote:The following question;

seems to be causing problems. I think you can guess what it probably begins with :D . I know the answer to this because my dad is a Rovers fan :)
Well you see, I supposedly support them, but my memory sucks :|
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Michael Wallace wrote:
jasoncullen wrote:The following question;

Well you see, I supposedly support them, but my memory sucks :|
Bayer Leverkusen knocked them out in February 2007 in the round of 32 last season. But which unfamliar Greek team knocked them out?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I've spent a long time on this, and with a small amount of Googling, I've come up with 35 answers. Unfortunately, none beginning with X and therefore 10 doubles. That's better than my first attempt, which had one letter with three solutions.

Anyway, here's my attempt so far:

A affliction, armitage
B bow
C carrot, curriclum
D darlington
E ear, ewing
F fudge
G george
H hartlepool, hudson
I ice
J jones
K kermit, kingston
L larissa, luke
M major
N nigel
O o'leary osama
P prince
Q quentin
R ricotta, russia
S sicily, simon
T tiddlywinks, topeka
U unanimous
V vera
W whacky
X ???
Y yazoo
Z zloty

So that gives me duplicates for A C E H K L O R S T, and hopefully nine of those will form the conundrum, and the remaining one being the error. But maybe I've got a few more wrong too. I'll keep trying to see where I'm wrong, and if possible post a correction.

Glad this wasn't available when I logged in from France last week, otherwise I'd have spent some frustrating hours during my hols. :)