The New Quiz

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Richard Brittain
Series Champ

The New Quiz

Post by Richard Brittain »

OK, this is my quiz, inspired by Jason Cullen's one. It is considerably easier than his one, and in my opinion slightly more interesting also. It consists of 20 questions. Goes without saying, no cheating. (Edit: And obviously, if you're reading this thread for the first time and want to have a go, don't scroll down and read any posts below!)

1. Bakewell is a town in which UK National Park?

2. The second movement of Anton Bruckner's Seventh Symphony was dedicated to which famous 19th century German figure?

3. Which is the largest of the Canary Islands?

4. Who was top scorer at the 2006 Fifa (football) World Cup?

5. Which chapter of the Christian Bible begins as follows: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."

6. In Nazi Germany, who was chief of the Reich Security Main Office and the second most important person in the SS up until his death in 1942?

7. In golf, which Argentine won the 2007 US Open?

8. Rosencrantz and Guildernstern are minor characters in which play by Shakespeare?

9. Which people did renown Christian reformer Martin Luther refer to when he wrote "They are a base, whoring people, that is, no people of God, and their boast of lineage must be accounted as filth", arguing that they were "the devil's people" and also advocating seizing their property and money, smashing up their homes, and ensuring that these "poisonous envenomed worms" be forced into labour or expelled "for all time."

10. Who did Chris Eubank lose his unbeaten professional boxing record to?

11. What is the capital city of Latvia?

12. Which bird, traditionally regarded as one of ill-omen, has the scientific name Corvus corax?

13. The composer Beethoven wrote nine symphonies and five piano concertos. How many violin concertos did he write?

14. Edward 'the Confessor' was on the throne of England in which century?

15. 'Pablo Honey' was an early album by which modern band?

16. The head of the Fly Agaric mushroom is predominantly which colour?

17. What is the first opera of Wagner's The Ring cycle?

18. In which century was there a significant holocaust of Jews in York?

19. Name one sub-variety of the buzzard.

20. Who wrote the revolutionary military book 'Achtung, Panzer!'

Actually, it may have been harder than Jason's, but oh well..
Last edited by Richard Brittain on Wed May 07, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Re: The New Quiz

Post by Joseph Bolas »

It looks harder to me, but then I must be thick :lol:. I am just going to stab at a few of these, even though I will probably get none right :lol:

05. Genesis?
08. Much Ado About Nothing?
09. Christians?
10. Lennox Lewis?
12. Vulture?
13. None?
14. 16th?
16. Yellow?
18. 18th?
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Joseph, this is a really horrendous attempt.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

3. Tenerife
4. Michael Ballack
11. Riga

Given the theme of the quiz, for the remainder of the questions I will guess... Hitler.
Am I winning?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Richard Brittain wrote:Joseph, this is a really horrendous attempt.
I did say my GK wasn't that good, but I thought I would take a stab at it, which I am thinking now I shouldn't have done :lol:. Surely though at least one of those answers is right?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I have refrained from guessing, so I'm fairly certain of these:

3. Tenerife
4. Miroslav Klose
5. Genesis
10. Steve Collins
11. Riga
12. Raven
15. Radiohead
M. George Quinn
Acolyte

Post by M. George Quinn »

Missing out the answers already given. (Although, I didn't know that many of them).

1. The Peak District
8. There was a couple I thought it might be so I flipped a coin and am going for: Hamlet
9. Celebrity chefs.
16. I think it's a trick question and I'm supposed to go for red but in fact there's more spots than space and it's white.
19. A kite?
19. No, a kestrel.
19. No, I'll stick with a kite.
20. Heinz G_________ (I couldn't remember his second name as it has nothing to do with beans).

george

Pablo Honey is one of my favourite albums.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

4 for definite, and after that, only informed guesses. I'll give you a proper total when the answers come out.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Richard Brittain wrote:10. Who did Chris Eubank lose his unbeaten professional boxing record to?
Adolf Hitler?
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

dinos_the_chemist wrote:3. Tenerife
4. Michael Ballack
11. Riga

Given the theme of the quiz, for the remainder of the questions I will guess... Hitler.
Am I winning?
Hitler isn't the answer to a single question. Michael Ballack isn't correct, either. Also, when I wrote question 3 I had Fuerteventura in my mind as the answer, for some reason thinking it was the largest. Tenerife is in fact correct, you're right. 2/20
Joseph Bolas wrote:
I did say my GK wasn't that good, but I thought I would take a stab at it, which I am thinking now I shouldn't have done :lol:. Surely though at least one of those answers is right?
Heh, fair play Joseph but sadly you got zero out of 20. Your response 'Christians' to question 9 was slightly weird, considering Martin Luther was a Christian. I thought this would be the easiest question there, tbh, but no-one has got it yet.

Corby: One of your answers is incorrect, but I won't tell you which one! A decent hack at it, though. 6/20

M. George Quinn: You got questions 1 and 8 correct, and you did well to almost get question 20. Question 16 wasn't a trick question; I'm sure there's more red. It's the classic mushroom that everyone's seen pictures of, but not too many know its name. Neither kites or kestrels are sub-varieties of the buzzard. Question 9 is sadly incorrect but I'll give you a mark for creativity.
Gevin-Gavin wrote:
Richard Brittain wrote:10. Who did Chris Eubank lose his unbeaten professional boxing record to?
Adolf Hitler?
Haha!
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

14. Which flag depicts the image of an eagle devouring a snake?
H. Suriname
J. Guatemala
N. Bolivia
Y. Mexico
Last edited by JasonCullen on Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

I suppose our opinions of what makes for useful or interesting knowledge are quite different. I may make this a weekly fixture, competing with your quiz and offering an alternative to all those people who are more interested in German military history, classical music, international Jewry and the questions concerning them, birds and fungi, than the sorts of things that interest you and your cohort of 'pop academics'.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Richard Brittain wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:
Heh, fair play Joseph but sadly you got zero out of 20. Your response 'Christians' to question 9 was slightly weird, considering Martin Luther was a Christian. I thought this would be the easiest question there, tbh, but no-one has got it yet.
I feel rather embarrassed :oops: :lol:.

I honestly can't explain why I put Christian as an answer when it was mentioned in the Q :lol:.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I know none of those answers!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Richard Brittain wrote:
4. Michael Ballack
11. Riga

Am I winning?
Hitler isn't the answer to a single question. Michael Ballack isn't correct, either. Also, when I wrote question 3 I had Fuerteventura in my mind as the answer, for some reason thinking it was the largest. Tenerife is in fact correct, you're right. 2/20
I seem to remember it being a German player. MB was the only one I could remember.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:
Richard Brittain wrote:
4. Michael Ballack
11. Riga

Am I winning?
I seem to remember it being a German player. MB was the only one I could remember.
Could this German also be known as Mr Interesting, first name Very ;) :lol:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:I seem to remember it being a German player. MB was the only one I could remember.
I definitely got that one right. I can only assume it's the bible one I got wrong, as that was the most "guessed" of the lot.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

The question was which chapter of the bible and it's gotta be the first, shurely!! As for other questions that nobody answered I think I am as much in the dark as the rest of you.

.... but I would guess....

Nietzsche for Bruckner's symphony, number 9 has gotta be the Jews known Richard's proclivity for anti-semitism. I only know of one violin concerto that Beethoven wrote which he dedicated to a violinist who performed his solo on Fidelio but I could be a million miles out here (actually I think Richard told me this on msn one night). Edward the Confessor is 12th century or maybe 11th definitely early anyway. I haven't got a clue about the rest but I should have known the first opera in Wagner's Ring Cycle since I shared a house with a music student who kept going on about it (and how crap Wagner is, Richard ;) ).
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

1. Peak District
2. Bismarck
3. Tenerife
4. Wasn't from England - that's for sure.
5. Genesis
6.Heinrich Himmler
7. Constantino Rocca
8. Hamlet
9. Jews?
10. Steve Collins
11. Riga
12. Raven
13. 1
14. 11th
15. Westlife?
16. White
17. Siegfried
18. 14th
19. Hawks?
20. Tony Blair

Several (un)inspired guesses there
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

David O'Donnell wrote:The question was which chapter of the bible and it's gotta be the first, shurely!
No, it is not Genesis! Every single person here has said that. A very poor showing. I knew there would be quite a few rampant atheists here, but it surprises me that no-one knew this. Of course, I can see why someone who has never read the Bible would guess Genesis, but the answer is The Gospel According to John, of the New Testament, many books away from Genesis. Also, my question meant to read 'Which book of the Bible', not 'which chapter', but most people interpreted it as 'book' anyway, and it doesn't change much.

I might as well reveal all the answers now because anyone who still wishes to do the quiz shouldn't be reading down here anyway.

1. The Peak District
2. Richard Wagner. Bruckner was a great admirer of Wagner's music, and Wagner once remarked that Bruckner was the only composer of the 19th century comparable to Beethoven. Upon hearing the shattering news of Wagner's death in 1883, Bruckner made the second movement of the Seventh a 'funeral adagio' to him. The Seventh is by far the most popular of Bruckner's nine symphonies, but for some reason he isn't well known at all in the English-speaking countries, despite being a classical giant everywhere else in the world.
3. Tenerife (I didn't know this)
4. Miroslav Klose
5. John (the Gospel of)
6. Reinhard Heydrich
7. Angel Cabrera. I made a big win on this at odds of 10-1 which is the only reason I remember it.
8. Hamlet
9. Jews
10. Steve Collins
11. Riga
12. The raven
13. One, and a good one it is. (well done David, but I didn't tell you any of that stuff about the violinist of Fidelio, first time I've heard that!)
14. 11th
15. Radiohead
16. Red. It's the classic red-with-white-spots mushroom. It wasn't a trick question. There is definitely more red than white.
17. Das Rheingold. (Siegfried was a decent guess, Kevin. This is the third of the four operas in The Ring of the Niebelungs)
18. 12th. One of many minor holocausts throughout Europe in the last thousand years. The city's entire population of Jews was rounded up and killed in York castle in 1190.
19. I was thinking of the Honey Buzzard, quite a common bird, although I think there is also the Rough-legged Buzzard.
20. Heinz Guderian. This book laid out the foundations of the 'blitzkrieg' or 'lightning warfare' tactic used by the Germans to stunning effect during the first 3 years of World War II, when they conquered most of mainland Europe. It seems a fairly obvious tactic to use, but the rest of Europe was apparently stuck in the idea of rigid trench warfare from WWI.

I think Kevin Thurlow officially got the most correct answers, as he did in the other quiz, so well done to him.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Any new non-WWTBAM format quizzes for us Richard (whilst we wait for the results of JaCu's)?
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Might do one tonight or tomorrow. I want it to be an immense quiz, so I don't want to rush it.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Joseph Bolas wrote: JaCu
I am glad that's catching on, Joseph.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Actually, I decided I can't really be bothered to do another quiz, sorry. You'll have to make do with Jason's.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote: JaCu
I am glad that's catching on, Joseph.
I've probably called Jason Cullen by JaCu, more times than Jason has called me by Joseph :lol: