Scrabble Tournament, August 21st in Nottingham

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Ben Wilson
Legend

Scrabble Tournament, August 21st in Nottingham

Post by Ben Wilson »

Hi everyone

Whilst my my Countdown-style organisational duties will be done for the year following Bash Week, I'll be organising two real-life Scrabble events in late summer- the annual Lincoln Open tournament on September 18th, and the Nottingham Under-35s event on August 21st at the Westdale Lane Community Centre in Mapperley, Nottingham (aka the CoNot venue).

Everyone will play seven games of officially-rated tournament Scrabble using the official tournament word list- also known as the CSW dictionary on apterous. All players of all skills are welcome, from world championship players to apterites and countdowners trying their hand and finding out what this 'Scrabble' lark is all about, and as well as the obligatory cash prizes for the top 2 or 3, there will be plenty of prizes for new players and those whose performance exceeds expectations. There'll also be a prize for the highest-placed under-18 on the day! As the name suggests, entry is restricted to those aged under 35 on the day of the tournament (born on or after August 22nd 1975). If you want in, just download the entry form and either post it to me or paypal me the money (address available on request) and the place is yours.

There are loads of tournaments that take place nationwide. The ABSP's flagship event, the British Matchplay Scrabble Championship, takes place in Staffordshire the week after the U35 event and will be as exciting as always with almost 150 of Britain's best Scrabblers in attendance. 2011 will be the BMSC's 25th year- who knows, maybe an apterite will take their opportunity to assert dominance over the established Scrabble elite? After all, c4cers finished in the top two of the last two events of this type that I organised...

It's always baffled me why more c4cers/apterites don't at least give competitive Scrabble a try, even if just once. There couldn't be a more natural 'next step' for people whose on-screen time has been and gone and, as I discovered in 2004, there is a community filled with many friendly people who share as great a love of words and wordgames as any apterite. Here's the perfect chance to sample the game- and if you have any questions about the event or about Scrabble & tournaments in general, please do ask.

I look forward to seeing you in August!

BJW
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Re: Scrabble Tournament, August 21st in Nottingham

Post by Martin Smith »

Ben Wilson wrote: It's always baffled me why more c4cers/apterites don't at least give competitive Scrabble a try, even if just once. There couldn't be a more natural 'next step' for people whose on-screen time has been and gone and, as I discovered in 2004, there is a community filled with many friendly people who share as great a love of words and wordgames as any apterite.
Completely agree, I've played in a few tournaments and really enjoyed it. A few Countdowners are definitely into Scrabble - aside from Craig's great success I met Oliver Garner at my most recent event back in March. I'll have to consider the U35s event, especially as I actually went to uni in Nottingham for a while and would love to go back someday.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

The U35s event was cancelled unfortunately.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Craig Beevers wrote:The U35s event was cancelled unfortunately.
Indeed- it generated a complete lack of interest in the Scrabble world, let alone the Countdown one, and I had to pull the plug to avoid losing money on the event. Sorry folks.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Craig Beevers wrote:The U35s event was cancelled unfortunately.
Are you under 35? :shock:
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Yes.