Numbers: Round 2. Attack of Zygon

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Numbers: Round 2. Attack of Zygon

Post by Kieran Child »

No funny business. You know full well if your answer's pushing it ;)

1) If you count up from 1, what's the first number that doesn't use a new letter?
2) If you count up from 1, what's the last letter to be introduced?
3) What's the biggest amount you can spell on the top row of letters on a keyboard?
4) What's the biggest amount you can spell on the middle row of letters on a keyboard?
5) If you were to spell out a number on a telephone, what's the biggest number you could type whereby you end by pressing the digits of that number?
6) What's the lowest number that could be an impossible target in a legal countdown numbers round?
7) What's the biggest number that can be typed using alternating hands on a keyboard (standard typing style.)
8) What's the smallest number than can be typed using alternating hands on a keyboard?
9) What's the biggest number that alternates between vowels and consenants?
10) What's the smallest number where the value is three times the number of letters?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Re: Numbers: Round 2. Attack of Zygon

Post by Ian Volante »

I'll answer 6 straight away: 100
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

1) If you count up from 1, what's the first number that doesn't use a new letter? SEVEN, easy.
2) If you count up from 1, what's the last letter to be introduced? C, easy.
3) What's the biggest amount you can spell on the top row of letters on a keyboard? TYPEWRITER, easy. Oops, I mean TWO.
4) What's the biggest amount you can spell on the middle row of letters on a keyboard? Thanks a lot mate.
5) If you were to spell out a number on a telephone, what's the biggest number you could type whereby you end by pressing the digits of that number? YAWN.
6) What's the lowest number that could be an impossible target in a legal countdown numbers round? Um, debatably 100. Easy.
7) What's the biggest number that can be typed using alternating hands on a keyboard (standard typing style.) Where's the question mark? Anyway Corby wouldn't know this as he's a one-handed typist.
8) What's the smallest number than can be typed using alternating hands on a keyboard? See above.
9) What's the biggest number that alternates between vowels and consenants? It's CONSONANTS, you fr00b.
10) What's the smallest number where the value is three times the number of letters?Hmmm. Is it GANDISEEG?

Fr00bs.

PS. LIGHHGIHT next to the questions.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kieran Child wrote:7) What's the largest number that can be typed using alternating hands on a keyboard?
8) What's the smallest number that can be typed using alternating hands on a keyboard?
I think the answer for #7 is EIGHTY and for #8, I get the answer SIX.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Kieran Child wrote:10) What's the smallest number where the value is three times the number of letters?
Answer here -----> THIRTY THREE
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

I think question 3 is PROPRIETOR
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

1) If you count up from 1, what's the first number that doesn't use a new letter?
2) If you count up from 1, what's the last letter to be introduced?
3) What's the biggest amount you can spell on the top row of letters on a keyboard?
4) What's the biggest amount you can spell on the middle row of letters on a keyboard?
5) If you were to spell out a number on a telephone, what's the biggest number you could type whereby you end by pressing the digits of that number?
6) What's the lowest number that could be an impossible target in a legal countdown numbers round?
7) What's the biggest number that can be typed using alternating hands on a keyboard (standard typing style.)
8) What's the smallest number than can be typed using alternating hands on a keyboard?
9) What's the biggest number that alternates between vowels and consenants?
10) What's the smallest number where the value is three times the number of letters?

Here's my first attempt:

1. 7
2. C
3. 2
4. I don't think there is one
5. need to get my head round this one
6. 100, but I think you may be looking for 82
7. not yet
8. 6
9. 11
10. 33
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

Glad to see such enthusiasm, even though I'm aware the sequel isn't as good as the original.
Oh, and I'm also more than happy to be called a froob. Froobs are the tastiest type of yoghurt around.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kieran Child wrote:7) What's the biggest number that can be typed using alternating hands on a keyboard (standard typing style.)
Surely these are stupid questions. Most people probably don't even know what this "standard" style is let alone use it.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

Left hand:
qwertasdfgzxcvb
Right hand:
yuiophjklnm,.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

One more answer added

1. 7
2. C
3. 2
4. I don't think there is one
5. need to get my head round this one
6. 100, but I think you may be looking for 82
7. 88
8. 6
9. 11
10. 33
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Kieran Child wrote:7) What's the biggest number that can be typed using alternating hands on a keyboard (standard typing style.)
Surely these are stupid questions. Most people probably don't even know what this "standard" style is let alone use it.
Most people not knowing how to answer a question doesn't make it stupid.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

If unsure of the keyboard ones, you could always use a picture off the internet:

http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/%7Egreg/images/keyboard.png
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kieran Child wrote:Left hand:
qwertasdfgzxcvb
Right hand:
yuiophjklnm,.
Thanks
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Howard Somerset wrote:Most people not knowing how to answer a question doesn't make it stupid.
Maybe it came across as a bit harsh as the questions (and in the other thread) are quite interesting, but it's the arbitrary nature of it. It relates to typing in a style regarded to be standard by an arbitrary set of people. Its standardness is not objective. Obviously the way we write numbers with letters is essentially arbitrary but this crosses a line for me.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Kieran Child wrote:Left hand:
qwertasdfgzxcvb
Right hand:
yuiophjklnm,.
Thanks
I originally saw EIGHTY for the highest number, but had to Google it because of the 'G' and came across the picture I posted above :D.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Joseph Bolas wrote:If unsure of the keyboard ones, you could always use a picture off the internet:

http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/%7Egreg/images/keyboard.png
Thanks for this Jobester. It seems my pinkies have been completely slacking off for the multitude of buttons they're meant to be pressing! Next time I need to open a square bracket or use Caps Lock I'll tell them to get off their arses!
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

I didn't intend for such disagreements about what typing is or isn't...

To give credit to both sides:
1) I think this set is kinda crappy compared to my last set, but I couldn't really think of anything decent ;) and
2) The typing style is standardized, which is why you will probably have bumps on the f and j keys, for touch-typing.

Also, there is a bigger number than eighty :D
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kieran Child wrote:I didn't intend for such disagreements about what typing is or isn't...

To give credit to both sides:
1) I think this set is kinda crappy compared to my last set, but I couldn't really think of anything decent ;) and
2) The typing style is standardized, which is why you will probably have bumps on the f and j keys, for touch-typing.

Also, there is a bigger number than eighty :D
How did I miss that :oops:. Would it be EIGHTY EIGHT :P