the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Post Reply
User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7232
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Matt Morrison » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:50 pm

  • Ben Hunter
  • Dinos Sfyris
  • Charlie Reams
  • Mark Deeks
  • Jon O'Neill
  • Michael Wallace
  • CF
  • Matt Bayfield
  • Michelle Nevitt
  • Ryan Taylor
  • Adam Gillard
  • Phil Makepeace
  • Gevin
  • Jen Steadman
  • Heather Styles
  • Graeme Cole
  • Tom Barnes
  • Bjorn Aas
I'm going to have to come back to this though, there are more.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7232
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Matt Morrison » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:09 pm

Some (obvious?) rules:

- attending Countdown filmings is obviously a Countdown event
- travelling to and from Countdown events, including the associated pubbing before or after, also is part of a Co-event
- people who happen to be in a particular location due to a Co-event meeting up with other people entirely separately (not before or after) from the event itself is ok

User avatar
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Posts: 1603
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Adam Gillard » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:30 am

How many people does it have to be for a ratifiable COCMEAT? For example, I have met Innis and Ed M individually for non-Countdown shenanigans; Zarte, Innis and Mikey Lear are not on your list if Mark Watson's 25-hour show doesn't count as a Co:Event.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Mark Deeks » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:01 am

ADJUDICATION: The marathon was not a Co:Event as it was not open entry.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7832
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:02 pm

Adam Gillard wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:30 am
How many people does it have to be for a ratifiable COCMEAT? For example, I have met Innis and Ed M individually for non-Countdown shenanigans; Zarte, Innis and Mikey Lear are not on your list if Mark Watson's 25-hour show doesn't count as a Co:Event.
I think meeting people individually is fine. I think it's just Countdowners meeting up rather than having a specific "meet-up".
Mark Deeks wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:01 am
ADJUDICATION: The marathon was not a Co:Event as it was not open entry.
I wouldn't count this. Countdown filming isn't open entry either and doesn't count. It's not about whether it's called a CO-event. The fact that it's not open entry is totally at right angles to whether it counts or not.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7832
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:07 pm

Jon O'Neill
Mark Deeks
Matt Morrison
Heather Badcock
Jen Steadman
Heather Styles
Graeme Cole
Adam Gillard
Bjorn Aas

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Mark Deeks » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:10 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:02 pm
Adam Gillard wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:30 am
How many people does it have to be for a ratifiable COCMEAT? For example, I have met Innis and Ed M individually for non-Countdown shenanigans; Zarte, Innis and Mikey Lear are not on your list if Mark Watson's 25-hour show doesn't count as a Co:Event.
I think meeting people individually is fine. I think it's just Countdowners meeting up rather than having a specific "meet-up".
Mark Deeks wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:01 am
ADJUDICATION: The marathon was not a Co:Event as it was not open entry.
I wouldn't count this. Countdown filming isn't open entry either and doesn't count. It's not about whether it's called a CO-event. The fact that it's not open entry is totally at right angles to whether it counts or not.
I wouldn't count Countdown filming either. That was Morrison, who did not invent this game and who should frankly be ignored.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7832
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Mark Deeks wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:10 pm
I wouldn't count Countdown filming either. That was Morrison, who did not invent this game and who should frankly be ignored.
OK. So private Countdown meet-ups do officially count then? (Not that it affects my total)

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Mark Deeks » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:23 pm

This is for occasions in which you have met Countdowners, without playing Countdown being the point of meeting up. So audience is fine, random Travelodge gatherings is fine, standing in your kitchen drinking a glass of water and talking about Henry V is fine, but going to a CO:Event purely for the post-event bit a la me is NOT fine, because to everyone else, the point of going was the playing.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Mark Deeks » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:25 pm

RE - the marathon. While it was not open entry and thus not a CO:event, it thus would not count here on account of playing the game being the main point of going.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7832
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Mark Deeks wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:25 pm
RE - the marathon. While it was not open entry and thus not a CO:event, it thus would not count here on account of playing the game being the main point of going.
Right. I think your initial adjudication was confusing, as it's eligibility to this thread that needs adjudicating on, not eligibility to being a CO-event.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7832
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Mark Deeks wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:23 pm
This is for occasions in which you have met Countdowners, without playing Countdown being the point of meeting up. So audience is fine, random Travelodge gatherings is fine, standing in your kitchen drinking a glass of water and talking about Henry V is fine, but going to a CO:Event purely for the post-event bit a la me is NOT fine, because to everyone else, the point of going was the playing.
Is audience really fine though? Even if you're not playing yourself, Countdown is still the focal point* of the thing.

*I earn a focal point for the pun.

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Mark Deeks » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:37 pm

Majority rules. If the majority of the people at the congregation were not there to play Countdown themselves, then the congregation is eligible for COCMEET.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Matt Bayfield
Devotee
Posts: 529
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 8:39 am
Location: Seated at a computer

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Matt Bayfield » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:02 pm

Even excluding gatherings in Manchester to watch recordings of Countdown, my list would include at least 34 Countdowners/apterites. (I'll spare you the list.) If I add on people I've met at Countdown recordings, I imagine the total would be over 50.

User avatar
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Posts: 1603
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Adam Gillard » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:57 pm

Mark Deeks wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:25 pm
RE - the marathon. While it was not open entry and thus not a CO:event, it thus would not count here on account of playing the game being the main point of going.
Not for Mikey Lear!
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7232
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Matt Morrison » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:08 pm

Audience definitely doesn't count. It's a "Countdown event" in a very real sense. Meeting people in the pub after a Co:event is, literally, part of a Co:event. Insane you could even think otherwise.

However, here's one for you - I'd definitely count your Marathon thing as valid.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7832
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:18 pm

I think it's probably best if people highlight borderline/controversial cases. So if there's someone that's only on their list because of a recording or the marathon thing, it should be made clear. So edit your lists accordingly, guys.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7232
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Matt Morrison » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:30 pm

I didn't include anyone from the single recording I went to. Literally every contestant you see there could be listed even if they aren't on apterous or C4C.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7832
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:23 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:30 pm
I didn't include anyone from the single recording I went to. Literally every contestant you see there could be listed even if they aren't on apterous or C4C.
I'm with you on this one, but for those that aren't I think it needs to at least be mentioned in their lists that it was at a recording.

Doesn't it only include people you meet though?

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7232
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Matt Morrison » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:21 am

Yeah true, just looking at a contestant wouldn't be enough anyway, I agree.
For a person to count, I think you and they both need to be at the same arranged meetup, right?

Even if recordings were counted (and they aren't) it would be easy to find yourself accidentally sat next to or near other apterites that you didn't know would be there or didn't arrange specifically to meet there. If this happened in a pub and you ended up enjoying some social time with them, I'd be inclined to let this count even if it wasn't planned, but not when it's all about Countdown anyway.

Zarte Siempre
Kiloposter
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Dadford, Buckinghamshire

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Zarte Siempre » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:19 pm

How are we defining Countdowner?
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...

Thomas Cappleman
Acolyte
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:42 pm

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Thomas Cappleman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Catriona Cappleman (unsurprising, also comes under Countdowners whose houses I've been in and who have been in my house)
Graeme Cole
Phyl Styles
Heather Styles (last 3 related to Only Connect filming)
Jack Hurst
Giles Hutchings (both at work)

Many more if you count the last day of CoC filming, when I was only still around to be in the audience.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7832
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:48 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:21 am
Yeah true, just looking at a contestant wouldn't be enough anyway, I agree.
For a person to count, I think you and they both need to be at the same arranged meetup, right?

Even if recordings were counted (and they aren't) it would be easy to find yourself accidentally sat next to or near other apterites that you didn't know would be there or didn't arrange specifically to meet there. If this happened in a pub and you ended up enjoying some social time with them, I'd be inclined to let this count even if it wasn't planned, but not when it's all about Countdown anyway.
Yes. I think the general idea behind these three threads is about who, having made friends with Countdowners through Countdown, has continued their friendship outside the sphere of Countdown - by going to each other's houses, meeting up in other places etc. Meeting at a Countdown recording is precisely not that, especially with people you meet for the first time.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7832
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:51 pm

Zarte Siempre wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:19 pm
How are we defining Countdowner?
I think it's generally people on C4C (or previous forums), Apterous, people who have been to CO-events or been on the show.

But I know a handful of people who have posted on this or previous forums or have a basically inactive account on Apterous and I haven't included them.

User avatar
James Laverty
Enthusiast
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:45 pm
Location: West Bridgford

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by James Laverty » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:40 pm

Callum Pickering- various times
Jaco Bates- Callum's flatmate who has had an apterous account but hasn't used for ages
Dan McColm- visited Callum once or twice
Jason Turner- Gave me taxi rides a few times at Uni
Jonathan Wynn- visited Callum
Matty Artell- met up when I was in Manchester for a non-CD related thing
Ben Wilson- randomly bumped into him at Lincoln station
Matt Conway(?)- not 100% sure but pretty sure we met at a Forest game once

Whole load of others at CD audiences but don't think we are counting these. I really need to do better
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....

Zarte Siempre
Kiloposter
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Dadford, Buckinghamshire

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Zarte Siempre » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:19 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:51 pm
Zarte Siempre wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:19 pm
How are we defining Countdowner?
I think it's generally people on C4C (or previous forums), Apterous, people who have been to CO-events or been on the show.

But I know a handful of people who have posted on this or previous forums or have a basically inactive account on Apterous and I haven't included them.
That's about the least helpful you could have been. I convinced Marc Bradshaw to come to MK and join Apterous, because he's my boss and good mate. I've met him loads. He covers 2 of your Countdown criteria, but it seems a bit weird to include him.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7832
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:07 pm

Zarte Siempre wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:19 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:51 pm
Zarte Siempre wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:19 pm
How are we defining Countdowner?
I think it's generally people on C4C (or previous forums), Apterous, people who have been to CO-events or been on the show.

But I know a handful of people who have posted on this or previous forums or have a basically inactive account on Apterous and I haven't included them.
That's about the least helpful you could have been. I convinced Marc Bradshaw to come to MK and join Apterous, because he's my boss and good mate. I've met him loads. He covers 2 of your Countdown criteria, but it seems a bit weird to include him.
Maybe only include people you met through Countdown things? It would also justify my own omissions.

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Thomas Carey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:39 am

Both Krols (primary school/loads of other stuff. Joseph lives literally across the road from me, both at home and at uni)
Jonathan Rawlinson (is my supervisor now)
Oliver Garner (bumped into him (figuratively) while on a run)
And a further 16 people that I can think of (probably more) from various non-co-event-or-recording meetups (including Zarte, who is also the only Countdowner In My Student Accommodation so far)
signature

Zarte Siempre
Kiloposter
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Dadford, Buckinghamshire

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Zarte Siempre » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:23 pm

Roughly in chronological order. Apologies to anyone I missed - please feel free to jog my memory.

Innis Carson
Mark Deeks
Adam Gillard
Mikey Lear
Lauren Hamer
Matt Bayfield
Jen Steadman
Giles Hutchings
Andy Platt
Graeme Cole
Heather Styles
Jamie McNeill
Adam Curran
Thomas Carey
Callum Todd
Matty Artell
Paul Sinha
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Mark Deeks » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:25 pm

Innis Carson (marathon)
Adam Gillard (marathon plus I think one other time)
Mikey Lear (marathon but accidental)
Lauren Hamer (a few times including once when I wore a thong)
Matt Bayfield (a few times including once when he wore a shower curtain)
Jen Steadman (spent a lot of time in cars together)
Matt Morrison (name accidentally got deleted amidst a copy-paste disaster, but at least he hasn't overreacted)
Heather Badcock (same but hasn't overreacted, yet)
Giles Hutchings (illicit Travelodge hook-up)
Andy Platt (we once had bacon sandwiches together)
Zarte Siempre (fairly often, including once in a weird yet highly charged foursome dinner with a German girl and...)
Graeme Cole (often, including once at a gig of...)
Paul Sinha (see above, twice)
Heather Styles (various, had plans to go on Eggheads which didn't come off)
Jamie McNeill (illicit Travelodge hook-up)
Adam Curran (illicit Travelodge hook-up)
Thomas Carey (illicit Travelodge hook-up)
Callum Todd (illicit Travelodge hook-up - I'm not as slutty as this normally)
Matty Artell (illicit Travelodge hook-up - OK maybe I am)
Jon O'Neill (only person who turns up later than me to stuff)
Gevin Chapwell (ELECTION NIGHT)
Bjorn Aas (random and thoroughly pleasurable addition to a pub trip)
Matthew Plato (we randomly bowled together once - he looked at me sheepishly for about 2 frames before finally asking me if I was who he thought I was. I was.)

May have forgotten some.
Last edited by Mark Deeks on Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7232
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:06 am

Yeah, me. You prick.

Zarte Siempre
Kiloposter
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Dadford, Buckinghamshire

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Zarte Siempre » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:02 pm

Mark Deeks wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:25 pm
Zarte Siempre (fairly often, including once in a weird yet highly charged foursome dinner with a German girl and...)
Ah, what happened to Lili...
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Mark Deeks » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:17 pm

Lives in Hong Kong now. Fair to say it didn't work out.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Mark Deeks » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:20 pm

Half inclined to count Ryan, who saw me at the Queen's Jubilee celebrations. I did not see him back, but I did hear him. "MAAAAAAARK", I heard. "That sounds like Ryan", I thought. Saw nothing. Got a text a few minutes later. Cracking day. Rained a lot.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7832
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:28 pm

Mark Deeks wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:20 pm
Half inclined to count Ryan, who saw me at the Queen's Jubilee celebrations. I did not see him back, but I did hear him. "MAAAAAAARK", I heard. "That sounds like Ryan", I thought. Saw nothing. Got a text a few minutes later. Cracking day. Rained a lot.
Would you expect us to believe you if you told us the same story but about the Eiffel Tower?

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Mark Deeks » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:36 pm

I've never received a text from the Eiffel Tower.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Ryan Taylor » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:38 pm

Mark Deeks wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:20 pm
Half inclined to count Ryan, who saw me at the Queen's Jubilee celebrations. I did not see him back, but I did hear him. "MAAAAAAARK", I heard. "That sounds like Ryan", I thought. Saw nothing. Got a text a few minutes later. Cracking day. Rained a lot.
Did this happen? I had no recollection of this but now that you have mentioned it I do have a vague memory of something like this maybe happening-ish. Apologies for not making this a memorable moment in my life.

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Mark Deeks » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:28 pm

As Claire is my witness. I said it sounded like you at the time, but didn't think anything of it other than to make that observation because the odds of picking out one person in a million - especially you, cos, like, that's quite a trip - were miniscule. Only when you text me did I actually believe it. Clearly a special time for you too, thanks for remembering.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Thomas Carey » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:57 am

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:38 pm
Mark Deeks wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:20 pm
Half inclined to count Ryan, who saw me at the Queen's Jubilee celebrations. I did not see him back, but I did hear him. "MAAAAAAARK", I heard. "That sounds like Ryan", I thought. Saw nothing. Got a text a few minutes later. Cracking day. Rained a lot.
Did this happen? I had no recollection of this but now that you have mentioned it I do have a vague memory of something like this maybe happening-ish. Apologies for not making this a memorable moment in my life.
Poor effort.
signature

Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:32 pm
Location: Blackpool

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Jack Worsley » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:52 pm

- Paul Worsley (several times)
- James Robinson (at Blackpool v Huddersfield a couple of years ago. The match was abandoned in the second half due to a pitch invasion.)
- Matty Artell (Perhaps slightly controversial, as we were organising Co:Manchester stuff)
- Paul James (Carlisle v Blackpool last week)

These are the only ones I can think of but there might be more.

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Devotee
Posts: 983
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:17 pm

I assume that Friday night pub meet-ups before Co-events come under the 'Co-event' umbrella and so does staying at someone's house for a Co-event?

In a vague chronological order:

1. Mark Deeks (First Countdowner I met! Various, including the first time at Tonbridge Angels v Bromley on New Year's Day 2012. Mark became infamously unbalanced at one point)
2. Lauren Hamer (Various, including Partridge-themed birthday party)
3. Matt Bayfield (Various, including Partridge-themed birthday party)
4. Ed McCullagh (Various, has great taste in women)
5. GILES HUTCHINGS (Various, including when I took him to Ikea for the first time!!!)
6. Dan McColm (His 21st birthday)
7. Andy Platt (Dan's 21st birthday)
8. Graeme Cole (Various)
9. Zarte Siempre (Various)
10. Conor Travers (We hung out in Belgrade for a few days when I was in the Balkans)
11. Callum Todd (Various, has great taste in women)
12. Jamie McNeill (Travelodge meats)
13. Adam Curran (Travelodge meat)
14. Heather Styles (Travelodge meats)
15. Matt Morrison (London meat)
16. Heather Badcock (London meat)
17. Gevin Chapwell (London meat)
18. Adam Gillard (London meat)
19. Bjorn Aas (London meat)
20. Matty Artell (Various)
21. Paul Sinha (His London show last February)
22. Tom Carey (Various)
23. Sophie Krol (Tom and I went to the Krol house the night before CoLeeds and hung out with Sophie, Joseph and their parents for a few hours)
24. Joseph Krol (as above)

Really surprised there aren't more on here tbh.
proud tiara owner and annoying publicity person who tells you to click links to the the FOCAL website.

(and also to my TRAVEL BLOG)

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: the Countdowners Outside Co:Event Meet-ups game (COCMEAT)

Post by Thomas Carey » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:44 pm

Thomas Carey wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:39 am
Both Krols (primary school/loads of other stuff. Joseph lives literally across the road from me, both at home and at uni)
Jonathan Rawlinson (is my supervisor now)
Oliver Garner (bumped into him (figuratively) while on a run)
And a further 16 people that I can think of (probably more) from various non-co-event-or-recording meetups (including Zarte, who is also the only Countdowner In My Student Accommodation so far)
I forgot the one that I think is unique to me! Tanmay Dixit!

Basically, two weeks into uni I'd signed up to the mailing list of loads of societies that I'd never join, as that seems to be what you do. One of them was the nature society, who then emailed me two weeks in to say that they were doing a walk around a nearby nature reserve in a few days. I might have gone anyway, always liked that kind of stuff as a kid, but then on the facebook event page I saw Tanmay commenting on stuff. After verifying it was the real Tanmay, that swayed me enough to go. On the bus there I opened with "hey, you wouldn't happen to be the Tanmay Dixit who was on Countdown as a kid, would you?" Obviously we talked about all this stuff (with a couple of his mates who were sat next to us). I told him about my own Countdown experience, apterous and FOCAL, none of which he knew existed. He told me some stories from around the time he was on. Nature reserve was good 8/10.

In the interests of completion, in vague chronological order:

Joseph Krol, Sophie Krol
Callum T, Jamie M, Zarte, Jen, Andy, Heather S, Mark and Graeme, Matt and Loz, Matty, there's definitely more here but I can't remember
Jonny Rawlinson (or Mr Rawlinson now I guess - seriously, getting taught by him is a strange experience)
Tanmay
Oli Garner
signature

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest