Grumbleweed

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Guy Barry
Acolyte

Grumbleweed

Post by Guy Barry »

This is a silly but rather addictive game that we've been playing on the Tube Challenge Forum. It was suggested that it might work on this forum, so I'm trying it out. If enough people are interested in taking part then I might start a game tomorrow or later in the week.

OVERVIEW

Grumbleweed is a game of prediction and risk. The aim is to predict the time of the next post in the thread. Players gain or lose points depending on whether their predictions are successful. For the purposes of the game:

A post is just any post in the thread. There are no restrictions on what can be posted as long as it's (at least vaguely) relevant to the game.
A valid claim is a post containing a line saying "X point(s)", where X is any positive integer from 2 to 60. In making such a claim, a player is predicting that the next post will be at least X minutes later. The claim must not be posted during the hours 00:00 to 05:59 inclusive. A player may not make two successive claims without another valid claim between them (see rule 3 below).
A successful claim is one that is not followed by another post within the number of minutes specified. If the claim is successful, the player gains the points. If the claim is unsuccessful, the player loses the points.

The winning-post is 300 points, but a 100-point lead also guarantees a win. If neither has been achieved after 7 days then the winner is the player in the lead at that time.

SAMPLE GAME

Player A claims "20 points" at 12:00.
Player B claims "30 points" at 12:22. Player A gains 20 points (more than 20 minutes have elapsed since A's claim).
Player C claims "10 points" at 12:50. Player B loses 30 points (fewer than 30 minutes have elapsed since B's claim).
Player D posts "This game is stupid" at 13:02. Player C gains 10 points (more than 10 minutes since C's claim).
Player C claims "10 points" at 13:05. Invalid since player C made the last valid claim for points.
Player A claims "20 points" at 13:20. No points scored (last claim invalid).
Player B posts "Bad luck!" at 13:39. Player A loses 20 points, etc.

RULES IN FULL

(1) Subject to the rules below, any player can post a claim for points at any time, in the form "X points" where X is any positive integer from 2 to 60. The player starting the game may not make the first claim. The claim must appear in a separate line from any other material in the post.
(2) If the time difference between a claim for X points and the next post in the thread is X minutes or more, the player gains X points. If the time difference is less than X minutes, the player loses X points. All posts in the thread are deemed to "stop the clock", apart from those during "downtime" (see rule 7). Subject to rule 7, time differences are calculated according to the timestamp (in hours and minutes) on the post, not the actual time elapsed. Seconds are ignored.
(3) No player may make two successive claims for points without another valid claim between them. Consecutive posts by the same player are allowed as long as they are not both claims.
(4) There is no score or penalty for invalid claims.
(5) Scores, comments and queries relevant to the game may be posted in the thread. They stop the clock like all other posts. They may be included in claim posts as long as the claim appears on a separate line. If a player wishes to stop the clock without making a claim or making a comment, he/she can simply post "spoiler" or something similar.
(6) Editing of claims is forbidden. Any player found to have edited a claim will forfeit 60 points plus the number of points that appear in the claim (if any), irrespective of the time of the next post. Editing of lines that do not contain claims is permitted.
(7) The period of time from 00:00 to 05:59 inclusive is regarded as "downtime" and all claims within this period are regarded as invalid. Posts during downtime do not stop the clock. If the expiry time of a claim would otherwise fall within this period, then 6 hours is added to the expiry time. E.g. a claim of 20 points made at 23:50 is deemed to expire at 06:10 the next day, not 00:10.
(8) The winner is either:
•the first player to 300 points, or
•the first player to gain a lead of 100 points over the second-placed player, or
•the player in the lead after 7 days have elapsed from the start of the game.
The winning-post is deemed to have been passed as soon as the allotted time is reached. E.g. if a player is on 290 points and claims 10 points, then that player is deemed to have won as soon as 10 minutes have passed without another post.

Any queries about the rules before continuing?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Grumbleweed

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Ah yes. Grumbleweed was deliberately designed as an "anti-Tumbleweed". I think it's a much better game, but then I invented it so I'm biased.
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Guy Barry wrote:Ah yes. Grumbleweed was deliberately designed as an "anti-Tumbleweed". I think it's a much better game, but then I invented it so I'm biased.
But i agree it is better!
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Euan Slatter wrote: But i agree it is better!
Thank you! I've always hated Tumbleweed. The only reason why I entered it was to prove that I could win it - except that no one ever actually wins, they're just in the lead.
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Guy Barry wrote:
Euan Slatter wrote: But i agree it is better!
Thank you! I've always hated Tumbleweed. The only reason why I entered it was to prove that I could win it - except that no one ever actually wins, they're just in the lead.
Unless tubeguru ends the game....

Robins Till I Die
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Euan Slatter wrote: Unless tubeguru ends the game....
He won't do that. I dared him to kill it out of kindness last year, but it's got too much of a following.
COUNDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better?
On spelling grounds, undoubtedly the second :)
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Guy Barry wrote:
Euan Slatter wrote: Unless tubeguru ends the game....
He won't do that. I dared him to kill it out of kindness last year, but it's got too much of a following.
On spelling grounds, undoubtedly the second :)
Shhhh, no one will notice!

Robins Till I Die
Stephen Moore

Post by Stephen Moore »

I shan't comment, due to the forums I am a part of! I had wondered what 'COUNDOWN' was!
Winner of Grumbleweed
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Stephen Moore wrote:I shan't comment, due to the forums I am a part of! I had wondered what 'COUNDOWN' was!
I dunno, but it wouldn't get you any points in Countdown ;)

Tell you what, since the three of us are all here, why don't we start a game of Grumbleweed and see if anyone else joins in? I vote for TG - sorry, Euan - to start us off since he won the last game.
Stephen Moore

Post by Stephen Moore »

I did (XIV)!
Winner of Grumbleweed
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Stephen Moore wrote:I did (XIV)!
I meant the last Grumbleweed game (X).
Stephen Moore

Post by Stephen Moore »

Sorru - ES to start then - where will it be though? Here or tubechallenge?
Winner of Grumbleweed
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Here

Welcome to Grumbleweed I (c4c)/ XI (tc)! The rules are the same, but here's a recap in case you've had a nasty head injury, or are just plain stupid!

(1) Subject to the rules below, any player can post a claim for points at any time, in the form "X point(s)" where X is any positive integer from 2 to 60. The player starting the game may not make the first claim. The claim must appear in a separate line from any other material in the post.
(2) If the time difference between a claim for X points and the next post in the thread is X minutes or more, the player gains X points. If the time difference is less than X minutes, the player loses X points. All posts in the thread are deemed to "stop the clock", apart from those during "downtime" (see rule 7). Subject to rule 7, time differences are calculated according to the timestamp (in hours and minutes) on the post, not the actual time elapsed. Seconds are ignored.
(3) No player may make two successive claims for points without another valid claim between them. Consecutive posts by the same player are allowed as long as they are not both claims.
(4) There is no score or penalty for invalid claims.
(5) Scores, comments and queries relevant to the game may be posted in the thread. They stop the clock like all other posts. They may be included in claim posts as long as the claim appears on a separate line. If a player wishes to stop the clock without making a claim or making a comment, he/she can simply post "spoiler" or something similar.
(6) Editing of claims is forbidden. Any player found to have edited a claim will forfeit 60 points plus the number of points that appear in the claim (if any), irrespective of the time of the next post. Editing of lines that do not contain claims is permitted.
(7) The period of time from 00:00 to 05:59 inclusive is regarded as "downtime" and all claims within this period are regarded as invalid. Posts during downtime do not stop the clock. If the expiry time of a claim would otherwise fall within this period, then 6 hours is added to the expiry time. E.g. a claim of 20 points made at 23:50 is deemed to expire at 06:10 the next day, not 00:10.
(8) The winner is either:
• the first player to 300 points, or
•the first player to gain a lead of 100 points over the second-placed player, or
•the player in the lead after a week has elapsed from the start of the game.
The winning-post is deemed to have been passed as soon as the allotted time is reached. E.g. if a player is on 290 points and claims 10 points, then that player is deemed to have won as soon as 10 minutes have passed without another post.

Good Luck!

Robins Till I Die
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Euan Slatter wrote:
The Tube hasn't been on since 1987, so this question is pretty much redundant.
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

20 points
Stephen Moore

Post by Stephen Moore »

Why is that post showing as 5:14 pm, and how do I change it (and to 24 hours)?
    Winner of Grumbleweed
    Guy Barry
    Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Stephen Moore wrote:
      Why is that post showing as 5:14 pm, and how do I change it (and to 24 hours)?
      It's User Control Panel > Board Preferences > My Timezone. Set it to UTC. I think you can change the format there as well.

And that's me down to -20 already :oops:
      Stephen Moore

Post by Stephen Moore »

Thanks

3 Points
      Winner of Grumbleweed
      Guy Barry
      Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Euan Slatter wrote: Welcome to Grumbleweed I (c4c)/ XI (tc)! The rules are the same, but here's a recap in case you've had a nasty head injury, or are just plain stupid!
      Do you seriously think that's a good way of attracting players on a forum who've never come across the game before? I'm thoroughly embarrassed.
      Guy Barry
      Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Right, well Euan has decided to be rude to his fellow forum participants, but I shall continue with:

25 points
      Thomas Cappleman
      Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Wrong
      Guy Barry
      Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

I am now down to -45. Stephen Moore is on +3. No score from anyone else. It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out.
      Euan Slatter
      Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Guy Barry wrote:
      Euan Slatter wrote: Welcome to Grumbleweed I (c4c)/ XI (tc)! The rules are the same, but here's a recap in case you've had a nasty head injury, or are just plain stupid!
      Do you seriously think that's a good way of attracting players on a forum who've never come across the game before? I'm thoroughly embarrassed.
      What? Why?

Robins Till I Die
      Guy Barry
      Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Euan Slatter wrote:
      Guy Barry wrote:
      What? Why?
      Euan, do you have any idea of how you come across? I know you're only 12 (and I was a bit of a prat when I was your age) but you're really alienating a lot of people.

Send me a PM on the Tube Challenge Forum. I really like you but I think you're too much "in your face".

EDIT: And just in case anyone is under any misapprehensions whatsoever, I am NOT a paedophile!
      Stephen Moore

Post by Stephen Moore »

I'm winning then!

10 Points
      Winner of Grumbleweed
      Stephen Moore

Post by Stephen Moore »

Considering particularly that this game is new to this forum, I have to say that I totally agree with GB here!
      Winner of Grumbleweed
      Guy Barry
      Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Stephen Moore wrote:I'm winning then!
      Maybe...

60 points
      Stephen Moore

Post by Stephen Moore »

Yes not.

6 Points
      Winner of Grumbleweed
      Guy Barry
      Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

I think you've won already! I'm on -105, you're on +7.
      Stephen Moore

Post by Stephen Moore »

Your 60 was +60, and my 6 was -6, so I don't think I have!
      Winner of Grumbleweed
      Euan Slatter
      Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Because 20:07:05 -> 20:22:54 is an hour isn't it?!!

Robins Till I Die
      Stephen Moore

Post by Stephen Moore »

Yes - sorry - I find it hard to cope with flitting between Nimbleweed and Tumbleweed sometimes, and I forget!
      Winner of Grumbleweed
      Marc Meakin
      Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I think a better game is Smokesomeweed!!
      GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
      Matt Morrison
      Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

8000 points meakin
      Guy Barry
      Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Stephen Moore wrote:Yes - sorry - I find it hard to cope with flitting between Nimbleweed and Tumbleweed sometimes, and I forget!
      Clearly, since this one's Grumbleweed! Although if Euan throws out any more insults we might all be playing "Humbleweed" :oops:

Come on - let's take the game back to Tube Challenge. I don't think I've ever played worse!
      Stephen Moore

Post by Stephen Moore »

I won - thanks partly to Thomas!
      Winner of Grumbleweed
      Euan Slatter
      Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Yes, back to tc it is!

Robins Till I Die
      Stephen Moore

Post by Stephen Moore »

Why!!!!! I played well!
      Winner of Grumbleweed
      Euan Slatter
      Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Winner of Grumbleweed

Meh. I WON THE LAST 3 BEFORE THIS!

Robins Till I Die
      Stephen Moore

Post by Stephen Moore »

I won the one on c4countdown, and that is my signature location of that! It is more qualified on the tubechallenge forum one, though this one (XI) isn't in there yet!
      Winner of Grumbleweed