'Rare Entries' Quiz

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Euan Slatter
Acolyte

'Rare Entries' Quiz

Post by Euan Slatter »

RULES:

First off, I need to make up soe questions. There can be a specific topic, or I can just choose anything.

As to the scoring, this is how I do it for each question:

First, I count up how many people gave each different answer. So four people might have said X, and three people said Y, with only one person saying Z.

Therefore, everyone who said X scores FOUR points for that question. The people answering Y get THREE points each, and the person answering Z gets ONE point. This is all very well for correct answers, but there will be occasions where someone gives an incorrect answer to the question. If a player gives an incorrect answer then they score TWICE the highest individual score for that question. So, in our example above the highest score was for X - four points. Therefore an incorrect answer to this question scores EIGHT points. (If every player has given a unique answer for one particular question, then incorrect answers get off lightly, as their score will only be TWO points.)

Repeat this process for the other nine questions, and you will have TEN scores for each player. Each player's ten individual scores are then MULTIPLIED together to give their final score. This means that in theory a player's score can be 1 (1*1*1*1*1*1*1*1*1*1) - ten unique answers. This is only going to happen if you give a wide choice of answers to a question. Of course, there is nothing stopping you only allowing three or four choices for the questions, but the final scores will be closer, and a lot of people will have the same score.

And that's more or less it. I'll try not to leave loopholes in the questions, as people like me will exploit them and demand one point for a unique answer.

QUIZ 1: FOOTBALL
  • 1. Name a team in the top 4 English leagues who got promoted or relegated at the end if the 2015/16 season (top 4 leagues before relegation/promotion)

2. Name a player who has been bitten by Luis Suarez

3. Name a team who has won the Euros

4. Name a season in which Wanderers won the FA Cup

5. Name a ground that will host a European Championships match in 2020

6. Name country that has hosted the FIFA World Cup

And finally, 7. Name a team in the top 13 UEFA rankings as of the last time they were released
Good luck! Remember to PM the answers, too, by 23rd October, 23:59
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Re: 'Rare Entries' Quiz

Post by Euan Slatter »

Anyone? I know Stephen M and Johnny C both like the odd quiz!

Robins Till I Die
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

One Entry! No prizes for guessing who....

Robins Till I Die
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Euan Slatter wrote:One Entry! No prizes for guessing who....
Now you're ripping off Guess Who as well as Pointless and there's no prizes for either of them?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Meakin?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Mark James wrote:
Now you're ripping off Guess Who as well as Pointless and there's no prizes for either of them?
Yes: PRIDE! If you must know, i got the idea from the Tube Challenge fourms

Robins Till I Die
Stephen Moore

Post by Stephen Moore »

I might do one as well, depending on how successful this one is.
Winner of Grumbleweed
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Stephen Moore wrote:I might do one as well, depending on how successful this one is.
Not very. The winner is Stephen, with 1*1*1*1*1*1*1=1. 2nd was no one, 3rd was no one, 4th was.... You get the idea.

But Stephen, do one on TC forum, we haven't had one for a while

Robins Till I Die
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Euan Slatter wrote:
Stephen Moore wrote:I might do one as well, depending on how successful this one is.
Not very.
You need easier questions. If you want people to provide "rare" answers, you need your average person to have quite a few answers to hand. And by making all the questions about football, you're ruling out a lot of people.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Is this just Pointless ?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Marc Meakin wrote:Is this just Pointless ?
Sort of

Robins Till I Die
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

I'd just like to point out that the "Rare Entries" format has a venerable pedigree on the internet, having been around since at least 1996 and pre-dating "Pointless" by more than a decade! It may have been originated by Matthew Daly on the Usenet group rec.games.trivia. It became very popular on Usenet for a while because of the many contests set by Mark Brader, and then spread to other parts of the internet. It still pops up on various different forums from time to time - there was a craze for them on the SABRE roads forum a while ago, and (as Euan says) they're a regular feature of the Tube Challenge forum.

The tactics can be a little different from Pointless, because the rarity value of an answer is determined by one's fellow contestants rather than a random sample of the public, so there's an element of bluff. Sometimes it can be worthwhile to choose an obvious answer if you think that all the other contestants are likely to have avoided it.

I think it's probably better to start with general knowledge questions before getting into specialized ones though.