Language queries

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Language queries

Post by Matt Morrison »

Because it's far more fun to ask you guys than to Google it, here's a thread for queries about your English words, phrases, grammar and that. I'll start.

So if you describe something as having the attributes of masturbation, you would call it masturbatory.
But if you were to describe something as having the attributes of mutual masturbation, would you call it mutual masturbatory or mutually masturbatory, or another option?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Language queries

Post by Jon Corby »

Screen-reader users, click here to turn off Google Instant.
WebImagesMapsShoppingMoreSearch tools
About 184 results (0.46 seconds)
Search Results
Mastering Multiple Position Sex - Scribd
http://www.scribd.com/doc/194982138/Mas ... sition-Sex
1 Jan 2014 - So if you're satisfied with fantasy sex that plays on your computer or TV screen. ... great. and orgasms that put even your favorite masturbatory fantasy to shame. .... How excited would you be if I could offer you something that would boost ..... Partners can ask to switch from mutual masturbation—where they ...
[PDF]
Why Sochi? - Universidad Autónoma de Coahuila
www2.uadec.mx/pub/pdf/E-Journal269.pdf
5 Feb 2014 - Why on earth would the Kremlin decide to host the Games in an .... “If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. ..... Authored by women who admitted to having had ..... course, the market is the paradigm of such social phenomena, and hence, trying to describe science as an.
The Myth of Female Maturity, Pt. 3: Emotional Masturbation ...
therawness.com/the-myth-of-female-maturity-pt-3-emotional-masturbati...
25 Jun 2013 - The sex is a mutual masturbation society where you're using each other's .... emotionally with other people in a masturbatory way, and so on. ... Also, would the Onion parody have worked if the females were ..... You don't call me enough. ... What are the best sources on this testing that describe how to ...
Dawkins/Pell on Q&A » Pharyngula - Freethought Blogs
freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2012/04/09/.../comment-page-1/?...
9 Apr 2012 - …for something or other. .... Scott Stephens critises Dawkins for not having studied theology but ..... 2) Your statement does not at all follow anyway even if you could defend ...... is an Australian scientist populist (I guess that would describe him). ...... Lacking the mental masturbatory skills of rajkumar and the ...
Full text of "For.Dummies.Sex.For.Dummies.3rd.Edition"
archive.org/.../For.Dummies.Sex.For.Dummies.3rd.Edition_djvu.txt
I have so many people to thank it would require an additional chapter, so let me ...... people use a variety of words to describe the same thing — especially if that ..... But if you're in need of relief, then turning to masturbation can be a life-saver. .... If oral sex is something that a man wants, but his partner has avoided, having ...
My Soul On Ice - Centretruths
centretruths.co.uk/132_My_Soul_On_Ice.htm
Idolatry is the mainstay of the Church; without idols it would be unable to exist. ... the Protestant manner, just another church, but the start of something entirely new, .... If I have succeeded in my endeavours, it is not because of them but, rather, ..... Being a virgin at fifty-seven, you could say my messianic integrity is still intact!
Wikipedia Terms - Princeton University
https://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve ... graph.html
call · work · accord · large · land · form ... describe · establish · region · main · song ..... option · well-known · encounter ... so-called · manufacturing · quantum ...
Show all - warped.nu
warped.blamblamblam.net/j/blog.php?offset=none
19 Oct 2008 - The point would be to expand on both quality and quantity, but not at the same time. ... Very soon: something purely technical on how I set up my new laptop. .... This blog comes up almost immediately if you were to sniff around the Internet ..... So having an identifiable crew of mutual friends definitely helps.
[PDF]
Getting Ready - PDF Archive
http://www.pdfarchive.info/.../Westheim ... or_dummies....
call 1-800-762-2974. <£> Go for .... "If height were measured in courage, determination and hard work, this little ..... (fhe Publisher would like to give special thanks to Patrick J. McGovern and Bill .... Chapter 17: Sex if You Have a Disability or an Illness . ...... So why do so many people go without having truly pleasurable sex?
[PDF]
Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Quality of Life in the Videogame ...
gameqol.org/.../Tropes-Vs.-Women-In-Video-Games-Vs-the-Internet_R...
13 Jun 2012 - portrayal of women in the medium would go a hell of a long way too, since were it ..... but free speech is no excuse for hate crimes, or whatever you want to call that stuff. .... My take on this is that if you say something with the sole intent of ... That so many people are having such disproportionate, misogynist ...
Next
Help Send feedback Privacy & Terms Use Google.com
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Well done, prick.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

I'll lend you a hand here and plump for 'mutually masturbatory'.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Adam Gillard wrote:I'll lend you a hand here and plump for 'mutually masturbatory'.
I lolled :D
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

BBC claims that "US actor George Clooney has accused the Daily Mail of "irresponsibility" after it claimed his fiancee's mother opposes their marriage on religious grounds."

Is this technically ok? To me "fiancee's mother" refers to a single person, not to both the fiancee AND her mother. So it is saying Clooney is marrying the mother, no?
or is the meaning of the word "fiancee" enough to carry it through because of the link with "marriage" ?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:BBC claims that "US actor George Clooney has accused the Daily Mail of "irresponsibility" after it claimed his fiancee's mother opposes their marriage on religious grounds."

Is this technically ok? To me "fiancee's mother" refers to a single person, not to both the fiancee AND her mother. So it is saying Clooney is marrying the mother, no?
or is the meaning of the word "fiancee" enough to carry it through because of the link with "marriage" ?
It does indeed refer to a single person and looks fine to me. I'm not sure where the confusion is coming in.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Volante wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:BBC claims that "US actor George Clooney has accused the Daily Mail of "irresponsibility" after it claimed his fiancee's mother opposes their marriage on religious grounds."

It does indeed refer to a single person and looks fine to me. I'm not sure where the confusion is coming in.
It's just that it doesn't explicitly state who is getting married. For example, "Dave's mother told him he was an idiot" - told who he was an idiot? Dave's mother is just a person we've specified. Does it automatically mean that we're also talking about Dave? I don't think it does. Someone might be friends with Dave but then also get to know his mother in her own right but still refer to her as "Dave's mother". So in this case, mentioning Dave's mother clearly wouldn't have to involve Dave.

Also, where did you read this, Matt? It seems that a new headline could be "Some website claims that BBC claims that..." and so on.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah from BBC website: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-28225467

You see with your example Gevin I guess you're right it's the same thing but it's easy to infer that the "him" has to be Dave.
With the Clooney excerpt only two people have been mentioned so it is automatically inferred that "their marriage" must refer to Clooney and his fiancee's mother.

I'm struggling a bit now as yeah I agree they are kind of the same thing but to me yours reads fine but the Clooney one reads awkwardly.

With yours we have no information on any "him" other than Dave. With Clooney we could have two options for "their", as referring to either "Clooney and his fiancee" or "Clooney and his fiancee's mother", so we have to choose.
Clearly I'm being facetious here and any HUMAN knows they mean "Clooney and his fiancee" but from a language point of view I feel like this definitely computes as "Clooney and his fiancee's mother" getting married.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Where do the BBC and Daily Mail fit into this marriage?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Something that's often confused me is hyphen usage. I was looking into this and if you have a "compound adjective" before a noun you connect all the bits with hyphens except adverbs that end in -ly and the word "very". So you'd have a "piss-poor car", or a "very poor car" or a "fairly poor car". "Well" takes a hyphen, as in "well-connected person". But if they come after the noun you don't hyphenate - "the car was piss poor". But what if there are several words in the compound? If someone wants to buy a rubbish car, is he the "wanting-to-buy-a-fairly-poor-car man", even with the word "fairly" in there?

Here's one of the sources I found in my investigations.
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

I say yes, he would be "the wanting-to-buy-a-fairly-poor-car man". I don't know why I think this, other than "the wanting-to-buy-a-fairly poor-car man" just kind of looks wrong. One could always sidestep the issue with "the man wanting to buy a fairly poor car" (or, for headline purposes, "the cheapskate").