Curious...

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Curious...

Post by Charlie Reams »

My house was burgled today and they took all the computers, TVs and other good stuff but, oddly enough, not the apterous server. So this is that rarest of announcements - there is to be no disruption in service!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Re: Curious...

Post by Julie T »

Charlie Reams wrote:My house was burgled today and they took all the computers, TVs and other good stuff but, oddly enough, not the apterous server. So this is that rarest of announcements - there is to be no disruption in service!
OMG, Charlie!! :o :shock: :evil: :x

How awful for you! The violation of your home, as well as the loss of stuff, must be devastating. :(
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Ouch indeed. I'm not sure what to say, so I'll hand over to Mr Larsen.

(I reserve the right to rescind this sentiment if his sympathies come in the form of a Drew Carey song)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:My house was burgled today and they took all the computers, TVs and other good stuff but, oddly enough, not the apterous server. So this is that rarest of announcements - there is to be no disruption in service!
:shock:

Sorry to hear you have been burgled Charlie.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I assume they struck between 3.25 and 4.10, knowing you would be busy appearing on Countdown at that time? :?
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

That is awful Charlie. I feel so sorry for you!

Aren't there some scumbags around!!!! :evil:
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Jon Corby wrote:I assume they struck between 3.25 and 4.10, knowing you would be busy appearing on Countdown at that time? :?
:D

Seriously, that sucks the big one, Charlie. I am glad you got your priorities right and made sure we all knew there would be no disruption to apterous.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I assume they struck between 3.25 and 4.10, knowing you would be busy appearing on Countdown at that time? :?
:D

Seriously, that sucks the big one, Charlie. I am glad you got your priorities right and made sure we all knew there would be no disruption to apterous.
I must admit that it occured to me that some idiot a***hole thought you'd be in studio as it was being transmitted.
Pity you were out anyway, or maybe not if they'd've been violent. Doesn't bear thinking about. :(

I thought that the apterous server was at your parents' house, anyway? Not that that's the important thing, of course.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Sorry to hear this.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Sorry to hear this - it's a horrible experience.
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

So sorry to hear that Charlie.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Aw, sorry to hear that, hope you had it all insured and didn't lose anything sentimental or important data.

We got robbed a few years ago when my dozy housemate left the front door open to get rid of "a fucking giant hornet". Someone strolled in and swiped half the stuff in our living room and a big pile of rent money that had cleverly been left in the hall, happily none of it was mine. To be fair she did get rid of the hornet (if it ever existed).
John Douglas
Acolyte

Post by John Douglas »

Shocking! :shock:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

It's doubly crap as you really should be kicking back and enjoying all your glory on several fronts at the moment. Life can really kick you in the balls sometimes.

Really sorry to hear it mate, hope you didn't lose anything you can't replace.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Anyone want to buy some PCs, TVs, cheese and weights?
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

We had our car nicked with all our holiday luggage, once so I appreciate what it feels like.

So sorry to hear about his Charlie - I hope they find them and string them up by the ***** OOps! sounding like Ann Widdicombe.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

BASTARDS :x Stuff like that makes my blood boil. Well I hope justice finds these pricks in the end.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

This thread made me laugh a lot, I'm glad I shared the experience now. To be honest all the stuff they took was boring and replaceable, and well covered by the insurance, so it's just the unpleasant feeling of invasion of our space really. We had a deeply suspicious man "come to read the gas meter" about 6 months ago, so I suspect he was sent to case the place. Unfortunately I can't remember anything about his appearance, apart from "shifty", which is apparently not adequate for an identikit. As well as nicking a load of stuff, they totally trashed the place to a greater extent than could be justified by looking for valuables, which I can't really explain.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

[quote='Charlie Reams"] As well as nicking a load of stuff, they totally trashed the place to a greater extent than could be justified by looking for valuables, which I can't really explain. [/quote]

Explained by the fact that that there are some evil sods out there, unfortunately, Charlie. It shouldn't happen to anyone.
Jon Corby wrote:It's doubly crap as you really should be kicking back and enjoying all your glory on several fronts at the moment. Life can really kick you in the balls sometimes.

Really sorry to hear it mate, hope you didn't lose anything you can't replace.
Hear, hear! You deserve to be savouring this time right now, Charlie, not coping with being burgled. I hope the police catch the evil gits responsible and lock them up.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

My friend Owen got robbed. They took his TV, left a load of laptops, had a root around for jewellery and keys to the sports cars out front, stole his iron and Lacoste polo and then smashed a few cabinet windows. We were supposed to have a party at his house that night. We ended up just doing it the night after what with the police dusting for prints. The eventual party was messy, I can tell you that much.
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Anyone want to buy some PCs, TVs, cheese and weights?
What, no dictionaries? :)

Seriously though, that sucks big time Charlie. :(
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

I understand what you mean about that unpleasant feeling of invasion, Charlie. (I mean that in a pure and respectable sense.) I am very sorry this has happened to you.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Charlie Reams wrote:To be honest all the stuff they took was boring and replaceable, and well covered by the insurance
That's good to hear, at least. I've never been burgled, because my house looks like such a shithole that any potential burglars would consider that there couldn't possibly be anything valuable inside. And they'd be right!

Top anti-burglary tip, there.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

jimbentley wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:To be honest all the stuff they took was boring and replaceable, and well covered by the insurance
That's good to hear, at least. I've never been burgled, because my house looks like such a shithole that any potential burglars would consider that there couldn't possibly be anything valuable inside. And they'd be right!

Top anti-burglary tip, there.
Ah, Jim, so that's why I'm lucky enough not to have been burgled (except by XH)? My kids have been helping me create an anti-theft zone! :lol:

I've been pickpocketed twice, though. :(
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Yikes... only just seen this thread. Really unlucky Charlie, that's gutting. It's an absolute nightmare to be in that position. Other than the invasion of space, the sense of powerlessness is probably the worst thing, when you have a pretty good idea who did it / was involved with it, but can't do anything about it.

I hope, at least, that when you / your parents spoke to the police about it, the police didn't say "I'm sorry, we can't tell you anything about this crime, you're not the victim..." :x

You seem to be coping all right... hope it doesn't affect you too much re the recording of the finals. good luck
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Just bump my rating up a couple of hundred points, and I'll see what I can do.

Sincerely,
T. Gasman
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Diane Allinson
Rookie

Post by Diane Allinson »

That's awful news Charlie, really sorry to hear that
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

That is bad news, Charlie. Sympathies to your and your family.

Incidentally we had a burglary about ten years ago, there were two of them and all they stole was a calendar.

They got six months' each.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Chris Corby wrote:That is bad news, Charlie. Sympathies to your and your family.

Incidentally we had a burglary about ten years ago, there were two of them and all they stole was a calendar.

They got six months' each.
Haha very good.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I got burgled once. I came back from school, the door was open so i went inside, closed it and started watching TV. I didn't realise we'd been robbed till an hour later when all the stuff upstairs had been stolen :D
Diane Allinson
Rookie

Post by Diane Allinson »

Charlie Reams wrote: but, oddly enough, not the apterous server.
hmmm, it is very odd, i'm sure it couldn't be anyone on this site, but could be someone who's a fan of the show, seen you on it so thinks you're away, heard you run this site, recognised the server is what you run this from, and either wants to join the site or has a conscience and doesn't want to spoil it for others, or knows that theft of said server would hit national (or global) headlines and didn't dare risk it. Whaddya think, my dear Watson?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Diane Allinson wrote:hmmm, it is very odd, i'm sure it couldn't be anyone on this site, but could be someone who's a fan of the show, seen you on it so thinks you're away, heard you run this site, recognised the server is what you run this from, and either wants to join the site or has a conscience and doesn't want to spoil it for others, or knows that theft of said server would hit national (or global) headlines and didn't dare risk it. Whaddya think, my dear Watson?
I'm not sure if you're joking, but I'm fairly sure it's a coincidence, or maybe they didn't realise that it's a computer at all since it doesn't have a screen. The sort of people who make a living from crime are, I imagine, not the sort of people who worry too much about maximising the reliability statistics for Countdown websites -- but maybe I'm stereotyping.
Diane Allinson
Rookie

Post by Diane Allinson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Diane Allinson wrote:hmmm, it is very odd, i'm sure it couldn't be anyone on this site, but could be someone who's a fan of the show, seen you on it so thinks you're away, heard you run this site, recognised the server is what you run this from, and either wants to join the site or has a conscience and doesn't want to spoil it for others, or knows that theft of said server would hit national (or global) headlines and didn't dare risk it. Whaddya think, my dear Watson?
I'm not sure if you're joking, but I'm fairly sure it's a coincidence, or maybe they didn't realise that it's a computer at all since it doesn't have a screen. The sort of people who make a living from crime are, I imagine, not the sort of people who worry too much about maximising the reliability statistics for Countdown websites -- but maybe I'm stereotyping.
now i've re-read what i wrote, i realise this is a ludicrous theory, credits the toerags with far too much intelligence