Anonymous players

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Anonymous players

Post by Martin Gardner »

Just to start a new thread that overlaps with the 'brag' thread about new anonmous players on Apterous. I don't particularly like it, not so much the anonymity but the style of, completely bizarre made up names like Ecclesiastes Myanmar (sp?). From the Internet Scrabble Club I know it's very easy to cast aspersions about cheating without having any concrete evidence whatsoever, but there's a certain sense of taking the piss going on here. Even if you don't want to use your real name, why not log on as John Smith? And the way that these players say things like "does thou desire a game with me" - it's not by accident IMO it's just taking the piss.

As I pointed out before, I prefer to play people I know, preferably people who've actually been on the show. I'm not saying ever player that we don't recognise is cheating, but in this case there's clearly something fishy going on.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Anonymous players

Post by Charlie Reams »

Since they're obviously trying to wind you up, I suggest you're rather playing into their hands by starting a topic about it!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

One of these players was trying to get Kirk to play a game with 'him', while I was on apterous the other day. I must say, that the conversation was rather unpleasant (not on Kirk's side, I hasten to add!). I'd have felt very uncomfortable if it had been me he was talking to.

IMHO, maybe you should give some of the players a warning about netiquette, Charlie. I know that we're all grown-ups, but that's no reason to put up with people being bullies.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julie T wrote: IMHO, maybe you should give some of the players a warning about netiquette, Charlie. I know that we're all grown-ups, but that's no reason to put up with people being bullies.
Well, that's a different matter. If they start being idiots then I'll just ban them. It's probably Richard Brittain anyway.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I was just starting a thread to see if people had the same impression that I did, it's very easy to be wrong about this sort of thing and I wanted to see if other people are thinking the same thing, or not.
Last edited by Martin Gardner on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:Well, that's a different matter. If they start being idiots then I'll just ban them. It's probably Richard Brittain anyway.
I think I mentioned previously that it might be the same person using two connections to play against himself.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Julie T wrote:One of these players was trying to get Kirk to play a game with 'him', while I was on apterous the other day. I must say, that the conversation was rather unpleasant (not on Kirk's side, I hasten to add!). I'd have felt very uncomfortable if it had been me he was talking to.

IMHO, maybe you should give some of the players a warning about netiquette, Charlie. I know that we're all grown-ups, but that's no reason to put up with people being bullies.
Sorry about that Julie. I was stressed from work and I took it out on him. He was starting to annoy me. It's all my fault and he wound me up. Apologies once again :oops:
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

I agree with Julie's comment. It wasn't pretty especially as i was, hopefully jokingly, labelled a murderer.

I played, and lost to, 3 of the 'names' and all were pleasant enough and as Charlie says don't let it get to you.

Cheers

Keith
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Keith Bevins wrote:I agree with Julie's comment. It wasn't pretty especially as i was, hopefully jokingly, labelled a murderer.

I played, and lost to, 3 of the 'names' and all were pleasant enough and as Charlie says don't let it get to you.

Cheers

Keith
Oh. I thought I said something bad, not him.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Keith Bevins wrote:I agree with Julie's comment. It wasn't pretty especially as i was, hopefully jokingly, labelled a murderer.

Cheers

Keith
Eeeeek! :o Even worse than the bit I saw! :shock:
Glad it didn't get to you.

Hi, Keith, BTW! :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:I think I mentioned previously that it might be the same person using two connections to play against himself.
You were right. The relevant accounts have now been banned.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:You were right. The relevant accounts have now been banned.
Lol, who got banned?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

roko roko, John Groats, Ecclesiastes Myanmar, Terrick Tarvius, Mishkin Zion, John Stevenson and Steve Jones were all the same person. Some people have way too much time on their hands...
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:roko roko, John Groats, Ecclesiastes Myanmar, Terrick Tarvius, Mishkin Zion, John Stevenson and Steve Jones were all the same person. Some people have way too much time on their hands...
Lol, any idea who?!

Have their games been expunged from the records (and the damage done to my rating reinstated) ? :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:Have their games been expunged from the records (and the damage done to my rating reinstated) ? :)
I'm not really sure how to handle that. I don't want to delete all their games because that affects legit players too, although I might delete the games that were just one person playing himself.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Have their games been expunged from the records (and the damage done to my rating reinstated) ? :)
I'm not really sure how to handle that. I don't want to delete all their games because that affects legit players too, although I might delete the games that were just one person playing himself.
I was only kidding, I couldn't give a rat's about my rating. In fact I wish it were lower, I'm positive it puts people off playing me. It's either that or my personality.

Roko's on this forum isn't he? Any comment, or has he been kicked from here too? :)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

How did you tell it was the same guy IP? Because myself and CF occasionally play against each other (although I suppose you know that we exist, well, sort of, you know that I exist, I'll shut up now).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:How did you tell it was the same guy IP? Because myself and CF occasionally play against each other (although I suppose you know that we exist, well, sort of, you know that I exist, I'll shut up now).
Funnily enough I did actually run a more general query to see which accounts shared an IP and was quite surprised when you popped up, but then I saw your duplicate and it made sense.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

You mean Ecclesiastes Myanmar isn't a real person?

Its a wonderful moniker though, which oddly enough converts anagrammatically into SARCASTIC NAME, SEEMLY.

I feel so cheated.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:I think I mentioned previously that it might be the same person using two connections to play against himself.
You were right. The relevant accounts have now been banned.
Great, Charlie! :D

Personally, I couldn't give a rat's whatsit whether the person had a few different personae.
Except that it bothers many of you, and that he/she used the anonymity to be rather unpleasant to people in aptochat, to say the least. :x
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:How did you tell it was the same guy IP? Because myself and CF occasionally play against each other (although I suppose you know that we exist, well, sort of, you know that I exist, I'll shut up now).
Funnily enough I did actually run a more general query to see which accounts shared an IP and was quite surprised when you popped up, but then I saw your duplicate and it made sense.
I was gonna mention that if you ever install that French dictionary on there (not that anyone cares, I admit) I was gonna make an account for Christine then I can play against her from my mum's house, or whatever. But it would be two different people, not one person with two accounts.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julie T wrote:Personally, I couldn't give a rat's whatsit whether the person had a few different personae.
It was more that he was playing against himself in order to boost his rating artificially. And, given the mysteriously incredible quality of those games, I suspect there was a fair bit of cheating involved too. There's no particular rule against being annoying.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Julie T wrote:Personally, I couldn't give a rat's whatsit whether the person had a few different personae.
It was more that he was playing against himself in order to boost his rating artificially. And, given the mysteriously incredible quality of those games, I suspect there was a fair bit of cheating involved too. There's no particular rule against being annoying.
Problem is, there's presumably nothing (unless you've IP banned) to stop them signing up again with different names, or other people doing the same thing, or people just generally being twats. You can't keep managing it on an incident-by-incident basis if the site grows as I'm sure you'd like it to. Have you considered adding the ability to block other users, so you don't see them in the player list, hear their chat, or acknowledge their challenges?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:Have you considered adding the ability to block other users, so you don't see them in the player list, hear their chat, or acknowledge their challenges?
Yep. But they can still disrupt things like the High Scores/Top Players list, so some kind of administrator oversight is always necessary. If push comes to shove then I'll just pick a few reliable users to act as admins and give them the power to kick or ban as appropriate. But generally, please try not to feed the trolls; if they're annoying, please ignore them and if they persist, please message me privately and I'll ban they ass.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Charlie Reams wrote:please message me privately and I'll ban they ass.
I'd rather post it here if that's alright.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Well, if I was trying to annoy some group of people and they kept talking about how much I was annoying them, that would probably encourage me to keep being annoying.