aptoSOS.03

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

aptoSOS.03

Post by Matt Morrison »

Hi again.

aptoSOS.03 is going to be the best yet I hope. Not much will change, I'm just going to make sure things move a bit more smoothly this time.
We won't have any of the Corby/Balog/Charlie/Krol debacles this time, as I'm planning to give ONE WEEK per game - with a single possible THREE DAY extension handed out per person based on the circumstances.

It's part of the apterous tournament system this time so please go here and say you'll take part: http://www.apterous.org/to_tourney.php?tourney=392
Everyone is eligible and the draw will be random as ever.

Thomas Carey is already on the board as a 2-time champion with 186 points currently.

I'm planning to begin ASAP after the aptSOS.02.Finals have finished, basically as soon as I have 30-40 or whatever, enough to do a random draw.
This is just to get things moving rather than to limit the tournament size though, and I'm thinking I will keep entries open for at least a few weeks more after it starts and anyone who enters will be randomly inserted into the already-random list of remaining participants.

Will keep this sticky just so people notice it until signups are closed.

Thanks
Matt
Last edited by Matt Morrison on Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Re: aptoSOS.03

Post by Mark Deeks »

Sorry to be that guy, but one week's a bit too tight maybe. Two weeks? I shouldn't think it'd be a deadline threatened too often.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Hmm. Will see if anyone else agrees with you. Maybe if I say one week but make the extension another week.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

The deadline should be 7 and a half minutes after the game is put in the tourney system.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I hope to have that in place for aptoSOS.2867 by which time we'll all be plugged in.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

FINAL ROLLCALL

I want to start this today. I'd like to apologise to all of you for being so shit and slow. I did have grandiose plans to start pretty quickly after the end of Season 2 that didn't come to fruition for various reasons.
I promise season 4 will start more promptly. I didn't PROMISE for season 3 therefore I totally got away with it in the eyes of the Lord.

So yes, I want to have the first fixture in the books by 4:30pm today before I leave work.
I don't think/know how I can edit the tournament page on apterous so here are some fine tuning/confirmation of rules, which you hereby adhereby adhereby adhere to:
  • draw will be completely random as normal.
  • Excitingly, draw will remain secret - thanks to Charlie for this excellent idea. So only the next fixture is ever published. There are a variety of reasons for this, which you can feel free to speculate on.
  • One week to play any one game. Each player gets a single two-day extension.
  • In order to help me make calls about who to punish when the time limits fail, you should schedule your games via aptomail and include me on the thread - another excellent idea from Charlie. This way it will be entirely obvious which of the two players has actually tried to get the game played, or which of the two players did not turn up at the agreed time, and lead to much less in the way of hissy fitting when I chuck yo ass out for being lame. It's quite reasonable you might give yourself a couple of days to find the person 'manually' online, especially if you are both active players, but be aware that any effort put in before starting an aptomail thread cannot count for anything in the adjudication process.
I will accept signups (some people still see forum more than apterous site) until the end of next week, 3pm Friday 2nd July.
Obviously any extras will be randomly slotted into the already-random draw. Once we hit 3pm on that day, the draw is finalised and will be sent to Charlie too so he can help me schedule games.

Currently signed up are:
Graeme Cole
Matt Morrison
Innis Carson
James Roper
Kieran Bray
Adam Gillard
Zarte Siempre
Marcus Hares
Abdirizak Hirsi
Chris Butler
Mark D
Michael Cullen
Michelle N
Chris Marshall
Nathan Cullen
Edwin Mead
James Robinson
Heather Styles
Rhys Benjamin
Matt Conway
Eoin Monaghan
Martin Long
Jordan F
Matthew Tassier
Ian Volante
Charlie Reams
Thomas Cappleman
Jen Steadman
Sean D
James Hurrell
Jon Stitcher
Niall Seymour
Mark James
Matthew Brockwell
Jonathan Wynn
Joe Harrison
Gevin Chapwell
Ben Wilson
Peter Fenton
Jordan Leckonby
Hywel Morgan
Greg Holloway
Johnny Canuck
James Hall
Zubair Patel
Ned Pendleton
Eskay Raman
Josh Hurst
Jayne Wisniewski
Oli Moore
Ciaran Mccarthy
Andy Platt
Remi Benoit
Joe Denniss
Danny Pledger
Thomas Carey
Liam Tiernan
Dicky Boy
Dave Smith
Karen Pearson
Heather

Tell your friends on the site.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Might be a good idea to Aptomail all those who signed up to check they still want to be signed up. The sign-up period has been so long that some of those guys don't come around any more.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Without being a dick, do you know names? I can't be arsed to type 60 names into an aptomail thread (and then subject everyone else to everyone's reply notifications).
If you know anyone there doesn't come (open question, not just to Mark) please let me know and I'll remove them from the list.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Those who I would say don't play much these days are you, Rhys, Charlie, Niall, Joe Harrison, Gevin, Jordan Leckonby, James Hall, Zubair, Ned, Eskay and Danny Pledger. Of that I'm assuming you, Charlie and Gevin are easy enough to notify when the time comes. Joe's banned so discount him. Ned goes through spurts of activity and might be back in full stride by the time his turn comes around. The rest might merit a reminder.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Mark Deeks wrote:Those who I would say don't play much these days are you, Rhys, Charlie, Niall, Joe Harrison, Gevin, Jordan Leckonby, James Hall, Zubair, Ned, Eskay and Danny Pledger. Of that I'm assuming you, Charlie and Gevin are easy enough to notify when the time comes. Joe's banned so discount him. Ned goes through spurts of activity and might be back in full stride by the time his turn comes around. The rest might merit a reminder.
I do just have a quick look through 'view unread posts' every day, so I am still notified. I just hope I don't get Tuesday 13 August... http://tubeforum.co.uk/forum/index.php? ... =viewtopic
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Matt Morrison wrote:
  • Excitingly, draw will remain secret - thanks to Charlie for this excellent idea. So only the next fixture is ever published.

I agree wholeheartedly that this is both exciting and an excellent idea!

[...]
  • In order to help me make calls about who to punish when the time limits fail, you should schedule your games via aptomail and include me on the thread - another excellent idea from Charlie.

Yep, this is what I've done for the Hypergoatourney, except I instigated the aptomail threads myself for games that hadn't been played when the deadline was approaching (about 4 days away usually). In hindsight, it might have been better to promote a conversation between opponents earlier on, like you've suggested here.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Thanks Adam for approval and Mark for help - will send a message now to those you suggest (other than Rhys).

Sorry for forgetting to do the draw, on it now...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

First up:

Dicky Boy (shrug) vs. Thomas Carey (3rd game)
Last edited by Matt Morrison on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'm on Apterous all the time motherfuckers. And I'm all over this tournament.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Unstickied.

Is there any way of doing that without editing the opening post? Seems a bit messy.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:Is there any way of doing that without editing the opening post? Seems a bit messy.
Nope, and I agree.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

http://www.apterous.org/to_tourney.php?tourney=1201

Innis vs James in the final. Good luck guys, feel free to announce when you plan to play if anyone cares to watch!