Apterous numbers game

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Nina Boyd
Rookie

Apterous numbers game

Post by Nina Boyd »

Loving Apterous! But however hard I try, I can't enter my solution for the numbers game in the (apparent) microsecond I get. I think I'm keying it in all wrong. Could somebody explain how to enter the numbers in the grid?
For example, to make 688 from 25, 8, 4, 3, 4 and 1:
declare total 688
enter 8-1=7; 25x4=100; 7x100= 700; 4x3=12; 700-12=688
Even at very high speed I run out of time. What am I doing wrong?
Suggestions gratefully received!
Nina
Innis Carson
Devotee

Re: Apterous numbers game

Post by Innis Carson »

If you have time to spare, you can save yourself having to deal with the method entry interface by typing your solution into the "Notes" box as a single expression, for example ((8-1)*(25*4))-(4*3) in the example you gave.

When using the method entry window, do every step individually, and press the "Commit to..." button after each one. The timer should reset every time you click a button, so you shouldn't have to be rushing. There's a tutorial here that explains this bit better than me.

Don't worry, loads of people have difficulty with this to begin with, it gets a lot easier with practice.
Nina Boyd
Rookie

Re: Apterous numbers game

Post by Nina Boyd »

Thanks very much for that quick reply, Innis! I shall study tonight, and get it right tomorrow! Nina