Apterous supreme championship

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Apterous supreme championship

Post by David Barnard »

As countdown wont be having a c of c and some interest from other people in regards to a supreme chamionship on apterous I have as promised seeded the last 16 winners of the series, these have priority for obvious reason.

1. Jack Hurst (11 wins 1276 points)
2. Kirk Bevins (11 wins 1245 points)
3. Craig Beevers (11 wins 1236 points)
4. Edward McCullagh (11 wins 1230 points)
5. Chris Davies (11 wins 1219 points HS 139)
6. Conor Travers (11 wins 1219 points HS 124)
7. Stewart Holden (11 wins 1177 points)
8. David O'Donnell (11 wins 1164 points)
9. Oliver Garner (11 wins 1137 points)
10. Mark Tournoff (11 wins 1127 points)
11. Graeme Cole (11 wins 1117 points)
12. Richard Brittain (11 wins 1102 points)
13. Junaid Mubeen (11 wins 1098 points)
14. John Mayhew (11 wins 1073 points)
15. Jack Worsley (11 wins 1064 points)
16. Nick Wainwright (11 wins 1026 points)

So I know some of these names no longer play apterous or don't play at all but then the remaining places will get offered to the losing finalists. If your name is on this list and you are interested in competing in the supreme championships, please state your intention to play on this thread, you have until midnight on sunday and on monday the remaining places will get offered to the losing finalists, then after that the highest ranked semi finalists.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Apterous supreme championship

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think you should Aptomail them as well, and send a few threats for those unwilling to take part.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Love the idea of this. I'd maybe give it an extra week to wait for responses though as a week is maybe quite short notice. Agree with Gev about Aptomailing (or Facebookmail for those you have on there), and make a ticket or something on Apterous so people know about it. Also, more details about set-up (dates, format etc) would be good for the participants.

Should be some cracking fixtures, though!

(Also, just out of interest, what's the seeding for losing finalists?)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Love the idea of this. I'd maybe give it an extra week to wait for responses though as a week is maybe quite short notice. Agree with Gev about Aptomailing (or Facebookmail for those you have on there), and make a ticket or something on Apterous so people know about it. Also, more details about set-up (dates, format etc) would be good for the participants.

Should be some cracking fixtures, though!

(Also, just out of interest, what's the seeding for losing finalists?)

Haven't worked it out yet but I imagine Adam would be top of the finalists as he got over 900 in his prelim's, the way I'm working it is giving the series winners first refusal (for obvious reasons), say 7 take it then the remaining 9 places go to the losing finalists, say 4 of them take it then the 5 other places go to the best semi finalists. I hope this takes off as it could have potential for great viewing, I know I'll enjoy viewing the games
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Am I too late? I've only just seen this. If it's not too late, I'm interested.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Ok so we already have 4 entrants to the supreme championships, provisional rankings are as follows

1.Ed McCullagh (11 wins 1230 points)
2.Chris Davies (11 wins 1219 points)
3.Graeme Cole (11 wins 1117 points)
4.Jack Worsley (11 wins 1064 points)

So there is 12 more places available for those who want to take it
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

This seems like a great idea, although I think there's about 8 names on that list who won't play :(. Paves the way for losing finalists though... :? :D
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Junaid was sighted on apterous yesterday. I think all except for maybe John Mayhew will probably join.
cheers maus
Marcus Hares
Acolyte

Post by Marcus Hares »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:This seems like a great idea, although I think there's about 8 names on that list who won't play :(. Paves the way for losing finalists though... :? :D
You definitely deserve to be part of this Eoin - maybe if David extended it to 32 players and ONLY from the past 7 series (ie those players who never got the chance to play in a CoC at all) even I might squeeze into this! :)
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

It's a good idea, though I have a few recommendations.

If it's to have the title Supreme Championship, then it should live up to it by at least trying to emulate the outreach we had in the first Supreme Championship whereby almost all series finalists returned. Admittedly, the standard of the game has progressed by as much in the last few years than it did in the show's first twenty, but there are still some very good players who arrived after Series 33 yet before Series 51. Plenty of those suggested will decline or be unreachable, but it's worth trying if only to preserve the integrity of the tournament.

Following this, the tournament shouldn't be too soon for non-apterites need to be tracked down, and need to familiarize themselves with Apterous and get themselves back into form with a bit of practice should they wish. Also, 16 is certainly too few: the original Supreme Championship whittled down from 61. The number of entrants need not be a power of two should you be amenable to formats differing from a straight knockout.

Of course, if you're taking the time to organize it then everything's up to you, but I feel efforts should be made to invite these past contestants if it's to be a genuinely memorable tournament rather than just the best players who are still active, because then it's not much different from any other on-line tournament.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Cheers for the suggestions Conor, the only problem with asking contestants who are not on apterous is that it would be near impossible to get in contact with them all and valuable time will be wasted, however I will extend it to 32 players from the past 16 series. So there could well be room for players like Marcus, Innis or Eoin. Thanks for the responses everyone.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I agree with a lot of what Conor says. I would open it to anyone from series 34 onwards, even if there aren't many around from the early part of that. You could even do it from series 1 (not that that would add many to the list either). I'd leave open the number of contestants (e.g. 32 or 64) while you see who wants to do it.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I think more generally that if this is going to be called the Supreme Championship you should probably spend a little more time planning and discussing it before jumping right in, especially as this is your first tournament. There's really no rush. You're likely to get more feedback through the ticket system than here, but the discussion has started here now so that's your call.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

David Barnard wrote:Cheers for the suggestions Conor, the only problem with asking contestants who are not on apterous is that it would be near impossible to get in contact with them all and valuable time will be wasted.
What's the rush?
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Adam Gillard wrote:
David Barnard wrote:Cheers for the suggestions Conor, the only problem with asking contestants who are not on apterous is that it would be near impossible to get in contact with them all and valuable time will be wasted.
What's the rush?
Well I dunno about aynone else, but I'm 90 this year, so I'm already pretty much on borrowed time, and I want to see this.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Since talk has already started of this then I dont want to put this off, so it is still on, and it's my first tournament I have organised so may as well start with a bang, I've had experience of organising tournaments at my golf club so I'm not new to it by any means. Kirk Bevins also replied to my message on facebook so welcome aboard Kirk, the only amendment is that it is now 32 places because 16 isn't enough to show all the awesomeness. On a day that I have free I'm going to really take time to track down some special names as well, It could well be a big surprise but I'm not going to divulge on here too much because then it wont be a surprise. :D

The new provisional seedings are

1.Kirk Bevins (11 wins 1245 points)
2.Ed McCullagh (11 wins 1230 points)
3.Chris Davies (11 wins 1219 points)
4.Graeme Cole (11 wins 1117 points)
5.Jack Worsley (11 wins 1064 points)

27 places to fill now
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Barnard wrote:Since talk has already started of this then I dont want to put this off, so it is still on, and it's my first tournament I have organised so may as well start with a bang, I've had experience of organising tournaments at my golf club so I'm not new to it by any means. Kirk Bevins also replied to my message on facebook so welcome aboard Kirk, the only amendment is that it is now 32 places because 16 isn't enough to show all the awesomeness. On a day that I have free I'm going to really take time to track down some special names as well, It could well be a big surprise but I'm not going to divulge on here too much because then it wont be a surprise. :D
I'm pleased you're so enthusiastic to run this but please pay some attention to what's been said above. Apterous is quite different to a golf club. If you want to call it David's Awesome Tournament #1 then feel free to run it however you like, but if you want to call it the new Supreme Championship then you've got a responsibility to live up to that and do it right. You haven't addressed many of the most basic questions about how this will be run. You need to set out how you intend to run the tournament, and take time to get feedback from other people (especially the people you want to participate in it). Apart from Gevin's imminent death, there is no rush!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Haven't we got to somehow get hold of people like Scott Mearns and Graham Nash? That would make it a real supreme championship, not just a "normal" CoC.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

I was thinking of running it knockout style, I'll try and get in touch with some of the big names that have won series as well they need time to get used to apterous but at the moment I'm trying to get names, I see Chris Wills is on facebook so might try and get him involved in the mix, I can try and track down Julian Fell as well and other people, if I can get one of those 2 in that would be a brilliant. I wont rush things at all.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Barnard wrote:I was thinking of running it knockout style, I'll try and get in touch with some of the big names that have won series as well they need time to get used to apterous but at the moment I'm trying to get names, I see Chris Wills is on facebook so might try and get him involved in the mix, I can try and track down Julian Fell as well and other people, if I can get one of those 2 in that would be a brilliant. I wont rush things at all.
You're still going on about the sexy parts of running a tournament with no consideration to the nuts and bolts of doing it. (And FYI Chris has played in various tournaments over the last few years so there's no great novelty there, and Julian Fell retired from all forms of Countdown years ago.) If you're itching to run a tournament, that's awesome and you should channel your enthusiasm into proposing an idea of your own, discussing it through the ticket system, and then by all means go for it and see how it turns out. People will sign up to pretty much anything and you'll get to grips with the challenges of running a tournament. I imagine some of the people with a lot of tournaments under their belt (e.g. Ben Wilson, Marcus Hares) will tell you it's harder than it looks! Come back to this idea when you have some experience.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Ok, I'll get back to it, I'll run a few tournaments to start off and see how it goes, by the way, it is still on, it will just have to wait a bit.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I don't see why this would be such a problem for David to run as his first tournament. I've not run an Apterous tournament myself, but I don't think a few annoyances like trying to make sure people complete their matches on time (I mean, that's the main thing, right?) require that someone should have a load of experience before they do this.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I don't see why this would be such a problem for David to run as his first tournament. I've not run an Apterous tournament myself, but I don't think a few annoyances like trying to make sure people complete their matches on time (I mean, that's the main thing, right?) require that someone should have a load of experience before they do this.
Then I suggest the title David's Awesome Tournament Endorsed By Gavin Chipper.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Presumably this is on hold / cancelled due to the 30th Birthday Championship?
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Adam Gillard wrote:Presumably this is on hold / cancelled due to the 30th Birthday Championship?
This isn't on hold, the 30th birthday championship is the champions thing, I did this under the pretence that there wouldn't be a champion of champions event but there is now. This idea is closed although I may do a tournament next year on apterous but I need to plan for that.