CSW Letters Attack tournament

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Quinne James

CSW Letters Attack tournament

Post by Quinne James »

We seem to have a few people playing CSW LA, and it's a high score format, so I might as well give it a go.

I'm thinking best-of-3 each round, knockout rather than round robin, standard scoring. Post in this thread if you're interested in signing up. The deadline for guaranteed entry is Thursday, April 19 at 2:00pm EST/7:00pm UK time.

I decided to go ahead and do the pairings right after the deadline, because we had a good number for brackets. Pairings are here: http://challonge.com/cswlat and first-round fixtures are on the website at http://www.apterous.org/to_tourney.php?tourney=56

Currently signed up:
Quinne James
Thomas Carey
Adam Gillard
Ian Volante
Nick Deller
Joseph Krol
Oliver Garner
Josh Hurst
David Smith
Jason Turner
Michael Cullen
Zarte Siempre

Standby:
Gerry Tynan
Last edited by Quinne James on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Re: CSW Letters Attack tournament

Post by Thomas Carey »

Really bad at letters, especially CSW, but that just means someone gets an easy first match. In.
cheers maus
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Really bad at CSW, especially letters, but that just means someone gets an easy first match. In.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

In.

You know about getting this onto the tourney system and stuff aye?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Nick Deller
Rookie

Post by Nick Deller »

Theoretically really good at CSW, especially letters, but that just means someone gets an unexpected first round win. In.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Adam Gillard wrote:Really bad at CSW, especially letters, but that just means someone gets an easy first match. In.
Yeah, I might just wait for the CSW numbers tournament.
Quinne James

Post by Quinne James »

Thanks Thomas, Adam, Ian and Nick for signing up! I'd like to start the tournament off this weekend, so I think I will be closing guaranteed entries on Thursday, April 19 at 2:00pm EST/7:00pm GMT (OP will be edited to reflect this.) I will accept non-guaranteed entries for 24 hours afterwards if it makes the pairing scheme easier. The first games (for some players at least) will probably start Friday at 5:00pm EST/10:00pm GMT.

I came up with a possibly harebrained scheme for pairing, in hopes of accommodating non-even numbers of players. Here's the idea:
  • Each player gets seeded. I would love to do this according to some objective measure (like average career maxes at CSW LA) but not everyone has superstats, so I can't always get that value. So I likely will have to just make stuff up.
  • The top 2^n-1 players get sorted into an orderly bracket.
  • Before that bracket starts playing, everyone else has to fight it out for the 2^nth spot.
For example, if the people currently signed up were seeded, it would probably go something like:
Play-in game:
#4 Ian Volante vs #5 Thomas Carey
First round
#1 Quinne James vs #4-#5 winner
#2 Nick Deller vs #3 Adam Gillard
Second round
#1-4 winner vs #2-3 winner

Of course, being subjective I could easily seed Nick first -- he does hold the record. But this illustrates the flexibility I have; I've played Adam twice before in this format, so I want to avoid that matchup in the first round. The intent of this tournament is to generate new and interesting human vs human matchups in this format, as much as it is to declare a winner.

This could get obnoxious if there are, say, 15 people in the tournament, but I think that's highly unlikely. For a small thing like this it seems fine to me, but I'd like to hear any objections now.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

This does overlap almost perfectly with the Gevin's Delight tournament. I don't mind either way, but thought you should be aware of the risk of fixture collisions etc.
Quinne James

Post by Quinne James »

Ian Volante wrote:In.

You know about getting this onto the tourney system and stuff aye?
I thought I did, but then I screwed up the application. You have to apply separately for every round, right?
Charlie Reams wrote:This does overlap almost perfectly with the Gevin's Delight tournament. I don't mind either way, but thought you should be aware of the risk of fixture collisions etc.
Sigh, I have to edit my response entirely to this because I didn't realise Gevin's Delight was starting early. Yeah, OK. Hopefully it won't be such a big deal with a small field and quick matches.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

In.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

I think it should be OK in terms of clashing with the Gevin's Delight tournament, since there'll only be a handful of entrants in this one by the looks of it. Can you please explain whether it'll be a knockout or a round robin and how many games will be in each match, etc.?

Quinne James

Post by Quinne James »

Adam Gillard wrote:Can you please explain whether it'll be a knockout or a round robin and how many games will be in each match, etc.?
I said in the OP:
Quinne James wrote:I'm thinking best of 3 rounds, single elimination bracket
Or, equivalently: (a maximum of) 3 games per match, and knockout format.

But I'll edit the OP to be a little more clear.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Ah, gotcha. That was probably just me being daft.

Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Yes please!
Quinne James

Post by Quinne James »

Thanks for the signups, and I appreciate everyone's patience while I sort out the Apterous tournament system.