'Gevin's Delight' Tournament 2012

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: 'Gevin's Delight' Tournament 2012

Post by Adam Gillard »

Ian Volante wrote:Blind junior. Niche, not done before, not anywhere near as tough as normal blind? Other than that, how about 9-round goatdown - maybe enough variance to shake up the order a little?
Blind junior seems a bit too niche; I don't particularly see the point of blind anyway and it couldn't even be set up using the custom game menu as things stand. Goat 9 is feasible; I understand your reason for going for the shorter format, but personally I don't think it'll make much of a difference. I was thinking more along the lines of Aegilops / Hyper / Instant / Lockdown / Octorock / Omelette / Touchdown - variants that pose a different challenge and can't be easily mastered by memorising frequent maxes (like Duckdown, Unlimited or Spoilage can).
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Fair points.

As for more standard variants, I find Touch a bit boring oddly. Aeg and Om suffer a bit from the frequent maxes too. Not much been done with Octo yet?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

We should have another Gevin's Delight tournament either way, preferably one where I don't draw the eventual champion in round 1 :P
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Octorock might be a good shout, Ian. It's similar enough to the standard variant for the letters and conundrum rounds, but the numbers pose an altogether different challenge.

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Hypergoat has been mooted too. I really like Hypergoat, but I don't know if many people will be put off by it.

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

New idea - a non-anonymous vote in an apterous ticket. Each format idea is posted separately, by me or by anyone else. The winning format will be the one that gets the most nices. The advantage of doing the vote on apterous is that more people will have a chance to see it. A disadvantage (other than the lack of anonymity) is that you won't be able to change your vote, but you could always nice more than one option as an alternative. There's also likely to be some tomfoolery, with 10 people nicing someone's suggestion of Bullet Finnish Spoilage or Hyperboob Attack because they think it's funny, but in theory it's a nice idea. Anyone have any qualms about it not being anonymous?